Interview: Jared Odrick

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Interview: Jared Odrick

Versatility is the word that comes to mind when I watch Jared Odrick play. Odrick showed throughout his career at Penn State that he can be a disruptive force along the defensive line and he displayed the ability to line up as a 4-3 defensive tackle or 3-4 defensive end while at the Senior Bowl. Jared and I talked about where he fits in best in the NFL and how he found out about his Senior Bowl invitation. Read below for the transcript of our conversation.

Spencer: So far, how’s your Senior Bowl experience been?

Odrick: It’s been good. Busy. With all the testing, interviews and practice. But it’s been an experience so far.

Spencer: Have you had a chance to sit down with any NFL teams yet?

Odrick: Yeah, yeah. Quite a few.

Spencer: What’s the oddest thing the scouts have asked you so far?

Odrick: I really haven’t been asked anything out of the ordinary yet, but I know they’re coming. I know those questions are coming.

Spencer: When you were invited to come play at the Senior Bowl, was there ever a doubt in your mind that you’d participate? Or was it something you had to give a lot of thought to?

Odrick: In terms of an invitation, I’d go to my d-line coach, Coach Johnson. I’d go up to him and ask him, ‘Hey, I’ve got something from other all-star games. Should I respond, should I give an answer, what should I do?’ There was a time where he was like ‘we’ll have our talk, we’ll have our talk,’ and he kept pushing it off. I think he was withholding the invitation that I got, I think because he wanted me to work for it like I did in my Senior year. I think that’s the way it came off, but I never asked. I think he received it, he just never told me about it. He just wanted to wait for the right time. But the day I got it was the day I responded.

Spencer: Who’s the toughest lineman you’ve had to face so far this week?

Odrick: Toughest? There was a pretty tough double team I had to face today between [Mike] Iupati and Sam Young. I pride myself in handling double teams and facing them head on and either trying to split them or hold them. But it was pretty tough today. I lost my footing and those two guys got the best of me.

Spencer: Turning to your side of the ball, who have you been playing beside that has really stood out to you?

Odrick: Cal, [Tyson] Alualu. He’s really good with his hands. Very good with his hands, shedding people. I’ve watched him a few times on TV but I was more impressed here in person. But I’ve been playing beside Cam Thomas of North Carolina, so I can’t really watch him. But I’ve been watching Alualu and been really impressed.

Spencer: What would you say is the strongest aspect of your game that you’d bring to an NFL team?

Odrick: It’s hard to talk about yourself because I always think that I have so much to work on.

Spencer: Well look at it this way. If a team was watching you on film, how would they game plan against you?

Odrick: Double team me. I think that’s one thing. I’m the type of player that commands a double team. I guess that’s one thing I would write down if I was a scout. There’s not many times throughout a game that I’m not double team. There wasn’t many times throughout my whole Senior season. I think I’m the type of player that left in single blocking, I’m gonna disrupt plays or go make a play. So I’d probably have to say that.

Spencer: Where do you think you’d fit in best in the NFL? A one gap defensive tackle or a 5 technique in a 3-4 defense?

Odrick: I’d say a 3 or a 5 technique. I think I can play in multiple schemes, to tell you the truth, and I’ve been hearing the same thing from NFL teams. So it will be interesting to see where I eventually land.

Spencer: Jared, I appreciate you taking your time out to talk to me.

Odrick: Thank you.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Since Tyson Alualu was measured at 6'2" at the Senior Bowl I think he is more a 4-3 DE than a 3-4 DE now. I really like the kid though.

Odrick is my favorite 3-4 DE in this Draft. I've had him to us in the 1st in a couple of Mocks.

I do think it's funny that every DE coming into the NFL thinks they need to be double teamed to be contained. It's a whole different level Jared.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
Hostile;3277439 said:
I do think it's funny that every DE coming into the NFL thinks they need to be double teamed to be contained. It's a whole different level Jared.

They are so cute at that age. :D

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
I have a feeling im gonna be really disappointed come draft day. :(

I really dont LOVE any players this year.

Jared is good, and would be a nice addition but I just cant get that excited about drafting a DLmen when we have many other needs.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Muhast;3277491 said:
I have a feeling im gonna be really disappointed come draft day. :(

I really dont LOVE any players this year.

Jared is good, and would be a nice addition but I just cant get that excited about drafting a DLmen when we have many other needs.

I feel the same way but if he turns out to be the next Jay Ratliff he'll grow on me..:D

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
If we draft Ordick or Odrick or watever the hell his name is in the first round, I will set the record for being put on ignore.

I will raise hell.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
SLATEmosphere;3277531 said:
If we draft Ordick or Odrick or watever the hell his name is in the first round, I will set the record for being put on ignore.

I will raise hell.

and yet you wanted us to draft Ron Brace :confused:

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Hostile;3277439 said:
Since Tyson Alualu was measured at 6'2" at the Senior Bowl I think he is more a 4-3 DE than a 3-4 DE now. I really like the kid though.

Odrick is my favorite 3-4 DE in this Draft. I've had him to us in the 1st in a couple of Mocks.

Bingo, totally agree, and I thought with what Jared said about Tyson would be interesting to some on the board. I agree with you, I think he is a 4-3 type end too since in the 3-4 you need big huge DE to keep the offensive linemen off of the linebackers.

I just dont think Jared will be there when we draft, dont mind if he is but I think Jared, OT from Maryland, Iputali however you spell his name OG, and safety from texas will be gone by the time we draft. Thats why I think the Cowboys will trade down, to get some extra picks and get value for those players in that range bracked 27th to 50th. As you know Hos, most teams have the players in a grouping at levels in the draft, going into each rounds. I think with the 27th pick to the 50th pick they are pretty even. After that it kinda falls off again to the 4th round.

But I do agree with the fact that we could use another good defensive linemen with intensity like a Ratliff at DE. Could make our pass rush better. I do think that we will sign all of our defensive linemen since they are restricted this year, but if you can get an impact intensity guy like Jared, then do it. He might be another Jared Allen in the making.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;3277534 said:
and yet you wanted us to draft Ron Brace :confused:

For the life of me I couldn't remember that dude's name. Odrick isn't quite getting the same hype this year as Brace was...

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
CowboyFan74;3277538 said:
For the life of me I couldn't remember that dude's name. Odrick isn't quite getting the same hype this year as Brace was...

yeah but in a different way, if brace had the total intensity that jared has, brace would have gone higher in the draft, just in some games, brace disappeared.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
CowboyFan74;3277538 said:

oh jeez, don't remind me

my apologies SLATE, I got all you Ron Brace fan boys mixed up.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
cowboyjoe;3277540 said:
yeah but in a different way, if brace had the total intensity that jared has, brace would have gone higher in the draft, just in some games, brace disappeared.

It wasn't because of attitude.

Dude was a fat ****ing slob.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;3277541 said:
oh jeez, don't remind me

my apologies SLATE, I got all you Ron Brace fan boys mixed up.

:confused: You're the one who brought his annoying *** name up again, not me...:p:

SDogo

Reaction score
SLATEmosphere;3277531 said:

I will raise hell.

Oh trust me, it could be worst then Ordick. Careful what you ask for.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;3277542 said:
It wasn't because of attitude.

Dude was a fat ****ing slob.

to me that is all about attitude when your fat and out of shape.

Its kinda like when the cowboys signed Nate Newton with the cowboys and Landry played him. We all saw the talent especially when he pulled on running plays, but he was out of shape. When Jimmy Johnson got here, Jimmy scared the dog out of Nate Newton, who got into shape, worked hard and we saw the results, all pro and opened holes for emmitt and blocked pretty good for troy.

So, to me if a guy is fat and out of shape, then that is all about attitude or lack of it with intensity to me.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
SLATEmosphere;3277567 said:
Taylor Mays.

thats the only player who would be worse.

I dont like Mays either, would be real happy if the eagles draft him, thinking he will be their next best great safety. Its true that he will knock your head off, ala roy williams safety but how is his coverage.

SDogo

Reaction score
SLATEmosphere;3277567 said:
Taylor Mays.

thats the only player who would be worse.

List is a lot longer then that if you take a second to breath and stop being so dramatic.

You watched last years draft, you dont think for a moment it can get worst? I have seen mocks having Dallas take Alex Carrington, Brian Price and Colt McKoy for the love of god.