Interview with Paul Stanley

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I've been a Kiss fan since I was about 12. I grew up in Hawaii, which had banned them playing there, so I never got to see them play until this year in Vegas. Anyway, I found this interview with Paul Stanley really interesting. He's a smart guy. He didn't get his success by being stupid.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
I've been a Kiss fan since I was about 12. I grew up in Hawaii, which had banned them playing there, so I never got to see them play until this year in Vegas. Anyway, I found this interview with Paul Stanley really interesting. He's a smart guy. He didn't get his success by being stupid.

Say what you want about Gene and Paul but you are correct, neither are stupid and their success is no accident.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Say what you want about Gene and Paul but you are correct, neither are stupid and their success is no accident.

Absolutely. I previously found an interview with Gene Simmons. I similarly found him very intelligent and interesting, but very different from Paul Stanley. They were both super success driven, but I found Stanley more introspective. I think he's more introverted like I am. There's some misunderstanding about introverts. I read up a lot on it because that fits my personality type to a T. An introvert is not necessarily someone who sits in a room alone all day, although that can happen. You can be an introvert and socialize. You can work with other people. You can even be like Paul Stanley and perform in front of crowds of thousands of people. But you need your alone time. You don't feel bad being alone. It's like recharge time. An extrovert (like I think Simmons is) can party a ton and go-go-go without it bothering them. If I did that, I would go nuts. I had a roommate who could never shut the bleep up and who didn't respect my privacy. He would do three knocks and then just barge in without waiting for permission. I just couldn't get away from his constant bombardment of questions about trivial crap, and I was ready to lose it. But, anyway, I found Stanley very introspective, always examining his life and how he feels about things and wanting to understand himself. I'm totally like that, so I get it. I would love to meet him and talk about music and life in general.

I was super bummed out when I learned that there was friction in the band because I love all those guys. I was a huge Kiss fan growing up. I had Kiss posters all over my room and bought their comic book and every album up until Unmasked (which I thought was terrible). But I loved Ace. I learned to play guitar by copying a lot of Ace Frehley's songs and leads. Turns out some of my favorite Ace leads weren't even played by him. He was being all drunk and irresponsible and was in no condition to play the leads for All American Man and Larger than Life. The band had Bob Kulick play those leads. I remember feeling that something was different with those leads, but I didn't figure it out. I figured Ace just took a little bit of a different approach with those leads and was totally on his A game. Anyway, Ace, whom I adored, gave Paul and Gene a lot of frustration with his addictions. I don't hate his guts or anything for it. Addiction is a disease, but I can see why super success-driven guys like Paul and Gene were upset with him. I went through some of the same things playing for small-time rock bands in high school. I remember a bass player we had who was a very smart and good musician. His playing skills were top notch, and he was the best singer in the band. He showed up to a rehearsal really high on weed. It turned this very talented and smart guy into a moron. It made it totally impossible to rehearse with him. We were just preparing for a high school party we were scheduled to play at, but that was enough to really piss me off. I can imagine how mad I would be if millions of dollars and the release of a new album were on the line.

Well, sorry to ramble. I just love Kiss. I love anyone who's ever played for the band. I did feel really sad in Vegas over the fact that I would not be seeing Ace Frehley play, but I understand it. People don't always get along or be able to work together. I can still appreciate Tommy Thayer, who's also a very good guitar player. And I am going to try to catch Ace's band if at all possible. I wish I could meet anyone who's played in Kiss and just shoot the bull. Their music as been a huge influence on my life. I know exactly what I would tell Stanley or another band member, "My friends and I were huge Kiss fans, and it was because we loved your music." The biggest misunderstanding people had about Kiss fans was that we all loved the band because of their elaborate stage show with all the fireworks and the fire breathing. That was not true, at least not for me. I thought all that stuff was cool, but I was a fan of the band because I loved the songs they wrote.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
Absolutely. I previously found an interview with Gene Simmons. I similarly found him very intelligent and interesting, but very different from Paul Stanley. They were both super success driven, but I found Stanley more introspective. I think he's more introverted like I am. There's some misunderstanding about introverts. I read up a lot on it because that fits my personality type to a T. An introvert is not necessarily someone who sits in a room alone all day, although that can happen. You can be an introvert and socialize. You can work with other people. You can even be like Paul Stanley and perform in front of crowds of thousands of people. But you need your alone time. You don't feel bad being alone. It's like recharge time. An extrovert (like I think Simmons is) can party a ton and go-go-go without it bothering them. If I did that, I would go nuts. I had a roommate who could never shut the bleep up and who didn't respect my privacy. He would do three knocks and then just barge in without waiting for permission. I just couldn't get away from his constant bombardment of questions about trivial crap, and I was ready to lose it. But, anyway, I found Stanley very introspective, always examining his life and how he feels about things and wanting to understand himself. I'm totally like that, so I get it. I would love to meet him and talk about music and life in general.

I was super bummed out when I learned that there was friction in the band because I love all those guys. I was a huge Kiss fan growing up. I had Kiss posters all over my room and bought their comic book and every album up until Unmasked (which I thought was terrible). But I loved Ace. I learned to play guitar by copying a lot of Ace Frehley's songs and leads. Turns out some of my favorite Ace leads weren't even played by him. He was being all drunk and irresponsible and was in no condition to play the leads for All American Man and Larger than Life. The band had Bob Kulick play those leads. I remember feeling that something was different with those leads, but I didn't figure it out. I figured Ace just took a little bit of a different approach with those leads and was totally on his A game. Anyway, Ace, whom I adored, gave Paul and Gene a lot of frustration with his addictions. I don't hate his guts or anything for it. Addiction is a disease, but I can see why super success-driven guys like Paul and Gene were upset with him. I went through some of the same things playing for small-time rock bands in high school. I remember a bass player we had who was a very smart and good musician. His playing skills were top notch, and he was the best singer in the band. He showed up to a rehearsal really high on weed. It turned this very talented and smart guy into a moron. It made it totally impossible to rehearse with him. We were just preparing for a high school party we were scheduled to play at, but that was enough to really piss me off. I can imagine how mad I would be if millions of dollars and the release of a new album were on the line.

Well, sorry to ramble. I just love Kiss. I love anyone who's ever played for the band. I did feel really sad in Vegas over the fact that I would not be seeing Ace Frehley play, but I understand it. People don't always get along or be able to work together. I can still appreciate Tommy Thayer, who's also a very good guitar player. And I am going to try to catch Ace's band if at all possible. I wish I could meet anyone who's played in Kiss and just shoot the bull. Their music as been a huge influence on my life. I know exactly what I would tell Stanley or another band member, "My friends and I were huge Kiss fans, and it was because we loved your music." The biggest misunderstanding people had about Kiss fans was that we all loved the band because of their elaborate stage show with all the fireworks and the fire breathing. That was not true, at least not for me. I thought all that stuff was cool, but I was a fan of the band because I loved the songs they wrote.

Yes I was a huge KISS fan as well and it surprised me as well that there was friction in the band. I had always thought they were one happy family at least until the early 80s. Gene and Paul did what they needed to do to keep the KISS machine rolling and I salute that, would I rather see Ace and Peter in the band sure, but it just wasn't possible.
Ace's playing{least to me} peaked in the mid 70s or so with some his best material on HTH. The solos on Got to Choose and Strange Ways to this day are favorites as far as Ace goes. I knew that about Kulick and also knew Dick Wagner{who did a lot of stuff with Alice Cooper}did some of the stuff on Destroyer that I had always thought was Ace. Believe it was the solos to Sweet Pain and Flaming Youth.
Watched a hour interview with Dan Rather that Gene did and it was very impressive. He is a smart cookie and a very hard worker.

I remember coming across this and thinking what, All American Man I always liked and was surprised it wasn't Ace.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Yes I was a huge KISS fan as well and it surprised me as well that there was friction in the band. I had always thought they were one happy family at least until the early 80s. Gene and Paul did what they needed to do to keep the KISS machine rolling and I salute that, would I rather see Ace and Peter in the band sure, but it just wasn't possible.
Ace's playing{least to me} peaked in the mid 70s or so with some his best material on HTH. The solos on Got to Choose and Strange Ways to this day are favorites as far as Ace goes. I knew that about Kulick and also knew Dick Wagner{who did a lot of stuff with Alice Cooper}did some of the stuff on Destroyer that I had always thought was Ace. Believe it was the solos to Sweet Pain and Flaming Youth.
Watched a hour interview with Dan Rather that Gene did and it was very impressive. He is a smart cookie and a very hard worker.

I remember coming across this and thinking what, All American Man I always liked and was surprised it wasn't Ace.

I love both All American Man and Larger Than Life and think both of those songs should have been played live more by the band. Even though those solos weren't written by Ace, I think he should have learned them and played those songs with the band. It would have expanded his playing. In fact, when I got Alive II and heard those songs, I could tell that something was different. I figured Ace was just taking a little bit different approach than usual. Ace rarely did those super bends that Bob did. Here's a live performance of those two songs with Bob Kulick on lead guitar and his brother Bruce on rhythm. It does make you wonder what Kiss would have been like if they had chosen Bob over Ace. I think they would have still been successful, but there song lineup would have been different. No Shock Me or Rocketride or Cold Gin. That would have been a bummer, but on the other hand, who knows what Bob would have created for the band instead. They would have avoided Ace's drug and alcohol problems slowing the band down, but, of course, there's no way of knowing whether Bob would have had similar demons. I wonder what character he would have created with makeup.

Edit: Fun trivia fact. The guitar solo for Christine Sixteen from the Love Gun album was written by Eddie Van Halen. He was friends with Gene Simmons. Simmons got some help from Van Halen in writing that song, and Eddie even played the solo on the demo tape he made. When they recorded the actual one put on the album, it's Ace playing it. Simmons insisted that he learn it and play it. I agree with that choice. It fits the song perfectly.

Last edited:

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
I love both All American Man and Larger Than Life and think both of those songs should have been played live more by the band. Even though those solos weren't written by Ace, I think he should have learned them and played those songs with the band. It would have expanded his playing. In fact, when I got Alive II and heard those songs, I could tell that something was different. I figured Ace was just taking a little bit different approach than usual. Ace rarely did those super bends that Bob did. Here's a live performance of those two songs with Bob Kulick on lead guitar and his brother Bruce on rhythm. It does make you wonder what Kiss would have been like if they had chosen Bob over Ace. I think they would have still been successful, but there song lineup would have been different. No Shock Me or Rocketride or Cold Gin. That would have been a bummer, but on the other hand, who knows what Bob would have created for the band instead. They would have avoided Ace's drug and alcohol problems slowing the band down, but, of course, there's no way of knowing whether Bob would have had similar demons. I wonder what character he would have created with makeup.

Edit: Fun trivia fact. The guitar solo for Christine Sixteen from the Love Gun album was written by Eddie Van Halen. He was friends with Gene Simmons. Simmons got some help from Van Halen in writing that song, and Eddie even played the solo on the demo tape he made. When they recorded the actual one put on the album, it's Ace playing it. Simmons insisted that he learn it and play it. I agree with that choice. It fits the song perfectly.

Ace was the right choice at the right time, the band to me will always be Paul, Gene, Peter and Ace. Take these with a grain of salt but have you heard Paul Stanley talk about Peter and Ace? I will post a couple here and the others are easily available for listen on YT. If true you can completely understand why they made the changes they did.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Ace was the right choice at the right time, the band to me will always be Paul, Gene, Peter and Ace. Take these with a grain of salt but have you heard Paul Stanley talk about Peter and Ace? I will post a couple here and the others are easily available for listen on YT. If true you can completely understand why they made the changes they did.

I have seen those Youtube videos of Stanley talking about Ace and Peter. I'm sure there's truth to what he said, but I also suspect he has some tunnel vision. There are two sides to every story. For example, he levied harsh criticism at Ace and Peter for going out and buying **** uniforms in Japan and coming back to the hotel to jokingly say "sieg heil" to Gene. Gene's mom was a holocaust survivor, so that didn't go over so well. It was a prank that really wasn't very funny. So after hearing Stanley talk about that, I did a search to see if any photos of that were available online. Turns out, Paul Stanley himself (who is Jewish) also dressed up in a **** uniform with Peter and Ace. He judged them awfully harshly for something that he did himself. In short, I believe he's being truthful about things Peter and Ace did to hurt the band, but I believe Stanley also did things to hurt the band and hasn't owned up to them. I'm certain Ace let his drug and alcohol use get out of control. But I also think Stanley became a harsh control freak, making himself difficult to work with. In short, I suspect there's plenty of blame to go around.

rags747

Reaction score
Saw KISS New Years Eve night 1975 at Nassau Coliseum in NY. Opening bands were Leslie West, Blue Oyster Cult and KISS coming on at midnight. General Admission tickets so we were right on the floor maybe 15-20 feet from the stage. The atmosphere was electric, 5 of us and we were all doing mescaline so we were so jacked, KISS comes on at midnight and it was shear pandemonium. Definitely one of the highlight concerts of my concert going days just due to it being NYE, the buddies I was with, the drugs and the crowd. We finally get out maybe 2am and it’s a freaking ice storm out, can’t find where we parked the car for about an hour and we were all drenched, fun times!

Have seen KISS maybe 3-4 times, last time was PNC Arts Ctr in NJ about 4 yrs ago, they opened for Motley Crue.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Saw KISS New Years Eve night 1975 at Nassau Coliseum in NY. Opening bands were Leslie West, Blue Oyster Cult and KISS coming on at midnight. General Admission tickets so we were right on the floor maybe 15-20 feet from the stage. The atmosphere was electric, 5 of us and we were all doing mescaline so we were so jacked, KISS comes on at midnight and it was shear pandemonium. Definitely one of the highlight concerts of my concert going days just due to it being NYE, the buddies I was with, the drugs and the crowd. We finally get out maybe 2am and it’s a freaking ice storm out, can’t find where we parked the car for about an hour and we were all drenched, fun times!

Have seen KISS maybe 3-4 times, last time was PNC Arts Ctr in NJ about 4 yrs ago, they opened for Motley Crue.

Awesome story, man. I'm jealous. I didn't get to see them back in their hey day. In my teen/high school years I was living in Hawaii. At the local arena there, Kiss was prohibited from playing because of their pyrotechnics. So I could only have seen them back then if I had taken a plane to the mainland.

But I did see them in Vegas this year. And I saw a really good Kiss tribute band in Lincoln, NE in about 2009.

cowboyec

Reaction score
It was very good, Ace's was the best followed by Paul's. Gene and Peter's weren't very good.
I agree...Ace's was the best but I love Pauls voice...and his was truly close to his musical heart.
Gene just tried too hard but I do like his version of wish upon a star....the whole album shoulda been that.
I actually like Peter's.....It has a real 50s vibe and feel....he sounds engaged to me....and that was the music he grew upon...that 50s feel.I think it takes an unfair rap...tho I understand why.
Those 4 are among best album covers ever tho.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
It was very good, Ace's was the best followed by Paul's. Gene and Peter's weren't very good.

I evaluate the solo albums exactly as you have. What's funny is they were worried about Ace being able to put out a good album. Then his turned out to be the best and the only one with a charting hit (New York Groove).

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
I evaluate the solo albums exactly as you have. What's funny is they were worried about Ace being able to put out a good album. Then his turned out to be the best and the only one with a charting hit (New York Groove).

Its actually my least favorite song on the album and is a cover tune, cant recall who originally did it atm. Both his and Paul's album had tunes that could have easily been on a Kiss album. Love in Chains is a perfect example.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Its actually my least favorite song on the album and is a cover tune, cant recall who originally did it atm. Both his and Paul's album had tunes that could have easily been on a Kiss album. Love in Chains is a perfect example.

Yeah, Ace and Paul's albums seemed like Kiss. The other two seemed like different kinds of music. I love Speedin' Back to My Baby from Ace's album and Tonight You Belong To Me from Paul's. Those aren't the only songs I like, but they're my favs from each of those albums.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
Yeah, Ace and Paul's albums seemed like Kiss. The other two seemed like different kinds of music. I love Speedin' Back to My Baby from Ace's album and Tonight You Belong To Me from Paul's. Those aren't the only songs I like, but they're my favs from each of those albums.

Recognize the guitar work? Bob Kulick again.