Ipod question

thurmansthieves

Reaction score
I know....great topic for the first post but there has to someone here who can help.

For anyone that uses these things...........

Is the Ipod compatible with an HP pavilion that runs windows XP? I keep hearing about firewire and USB 2.0 but I can't figure out what I need to do. I can say that according to my computer I do not have any 2.0 USB ports....just the old 1.1 I guess. Does the 2.0 cable fix that problem or do I need to upgrade the ports with one of those cards? It seems that the Apple store can't answer the question!!

And what about fire wire....does that solve this problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated..............

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
thurmansthieves said:
I know....great topic for the first post but there has to someone here who can help.

Is the Ipod compatible with an HP pavilion that runs windows XP? I keep hearing about firewire and USB 2.0 but I can't figure out what I need to do. I can say that according to my computer I do not have any 2.0 USB ports....just the old 1.1 I guess. Does the 2.0 cable fix that problem or do I need to upgrade the ports with one of those cards? It seems that the Apple store can't answer the question!!

i wish i could help you with this question, but i can't.

welcome to the site, though. i can tell from your user name you must like players like :

michael downs
dennis thurman
dextor clinkscale
ron fellows
everson walls
bill bates
victor scott.......etc. so you are already a friend of mine.

:welcome: :beer2:

zorg222

nose picker
Reaction score
thurmansthieves said:

I think it should be, but I'm not positive... anyways, :welcome: to the board :)

Kendo

Reaction score
The Ipod should definitely work on your computer with Windows XP, using the firewire. (It can either be the 4 pin or the 6 pin, however the 4 pin firewire will not charge the Ipod when connected to the computer, whereas the 6 pin will)

Hope this helps

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
You can use the existing USB 1.1 ports just fine. They do not transfer data as fast as 2.0 but they will still get the job done.

thurmansthieves

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the help..........I'll try the 6 pin fire wire first.

As for the screenname....yes Dennis Thurman has always been my favorite and I loved the days when Thurman Downs Fellows Walls Bates and Clinkscale were back there. I've been a member of another Board for a few years and have been using this name over there as well. I recognize some of the posters over here from there.....Adam, Rack to name a few.

Thanks again for the welcome