Irvin Press Conference Live - 3/14/2023

Creeper

Reaction score
Yes, the guy in the hat was the best witness to the start of the convo. He also appeared to look over to them before any of the others which prompted the Philly witness to look over the one time he did. He hasn't gone public but maybe he'll show up in the trial. He'll be asked about who motioned to who first and what was said to start things up. Logistics appears to show it was Irvin which would be in direct contrast to the two public witnesses who were shielded from seeing that unless someone was loud with their greeting plus the evidence to this point that leads to her not knowing who Irvin was.

If you are asking why Marriott told the NFL, their report is that the NFL asked to be informed of any problems with their guests because they were paying for the block of rooms. Should be easy enough to prove if in email form. Marriott allowed them to review their documents I'm guessing (which culminated in their decision he should leave) but state they allowed the NFL to view the tape and interview the employee themselves and then left the "move" part to the NFL, which Irvin confirmed in this latest presser. So it's Marriott's document trail and reporting procedures that'll come under scrutiny, yes.
I did not see that, but it raises more questions. How many NFL employees were staying at the hotel? Is it a standing policy of the NFL to provide those instructions to every hotel their employees stay at? I worked in corporate for many years and traveled quite a bit, sometimes to Dallas, but my employer never gave any hotels instructions to call them if I got out of hand. It just seems like an odd thing to do. But who knows. The NFL is a weird organization that sometimes does strange things.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Does it make sense that the NFL would tell the Marriott to notify them if any of the guests they were paying for gave them any problems. What are their employees Animal House wannabes?

Now, I could see them telling the Marriott that to cover specific employees and one thing none of us knows is the relationship between Irvin and the NFLN. They know his history and his history with them.

If Irvin did say what she says he said, think this is the first time? If what the hotel is saying is true and it was the investigator and NFL personnel that took this over, doesn't that raise questions about this specific employee of the NFLN and what they know?

His lawyer has kept a safe distance from the NFL and NFLN and their actions in this and I'd bet in 99 cases out of 100, the hotel deals with the guest, they do not call their employer.

Something is just not right about this.
If the NFL told any hotel to watch certain employees then they are showing unfair treatment, despite any employee's history. That's on the NFL to keep track of if they have a "strikes" system or something. Marriott could be liable for playing along with that. If you're gonna say that at all, it's fairest to say it applies to everyone. This is why I don't consider Irvin's history at all because to me that's fairest to judge this particular situation. His employer can though (and so can Marriott if he has a history with them and they have a "strikes" policy). But to single out certain employees to another entity would be defamation, wouldn't it?

Last edited:

MarcusRock

Reaction score
I did not see that, but it raises more questions. How many NFL employees were staying at the hotel? Is it a standing policy of the NFL to provide those instructions to every hotel their employees stay at? I worked in corporate for many years and traveled quite a bit, sometimes to Dallas, but my employer never gave any hotels instructions to call them if I got out of hand. It just seems like an odd thing to do. But who knows. The NFL is a weird organization that sometimes does strange things.
The 3rd sentence is a good question and why I've always felt that Irvin's fight is with the NFL, not a hotel doing things according to their own established policies (so long as they weren't sloppy with it).

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If the NFL told any hotel to watch certain employees then they are showing unfair treatment, despite any employee's history. That's on the NFL to keep track of if they have a "strikes" system or something. Marriott could be liable for playing along with that. If you're gonna say that at all, it's fairest to say it applies to everyone. This is why I don't consider Irvin's history at all because to me that's fairest to judge this particular situation. His employer can though (and so can Marriott if he has a history with them and they have a "strikes" policy). But to single out certain employees to another entity would be defamation, wouldn't it?
Yes, if they did that without a request from the NFL, they triggered this but the hotel could take the approach they didn't make anything public. They were acting in accordance with a client and their instructions.

It seems the NFL swooped in on this and just took it over. And it is possible they were doing damage control and trying to keep it quiet. This is a sponsor of theirs.

This is why I've said from the beginning that call into 105.3 is the real problem for Irvin in all of this. I also think that is a reason why the lawyer is steering carefully with the NFL because they could always blame the public part of this on Irvin and use that as their reason for sending him home. He took himself off the air with his own actions.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The 3rd sentence is a good question and why I've always felt that Irvin's fight is with the NFL, not a hotel doing things according to their own established policies (so long as they weren't sloppy with it).
Except it cannot be any major hotel's policy to rat a guest out to their employer, they'd be constantly in lawsuits and who the hell would stay there? Hotels are like Vegas about what happens there.

Where do they draw the line? Going to call the spouses of all the people having a little afternoon delight and rat them out as cheaters?

As there are a lot of things we don't know, which does not keep me from talking about it but I've never really thought it was critical to actually know what one is talking about, why the NFL got involved in this is a mystery.

Could be they were notified Irvin was being moved and that set off an alarm within the NFL and NFLN and they decided to get more info and get more involved.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Except it cannot be any major hotel's policy to rat a guest out to their employer, they'd be constantly in lawsuits and who the hell would stay there? Hotels are like Vegas about what happens there.

Where do they draw the line? Going to call the spouses of all the people having a little afternoon delight and rat them out as cheaters?

As there are a lot of things we don't know, which does not keep me from talking about it but I've never really thought it was critical to actually know what one is talking about, why the NFL got involved in this is a mystery.

Could be they were notified Irvin was being moved and that set off an alarm within the NFL and NFLN and they decided to get more info and get more involved.
Well if an employer pays for a block of rooms and an employee trashes a room, the bill will be extra. I'm sure the hotel would take pics for evidence. Were the employer to ask, "who trashed that room?" and "show me the evidence before we pay," is the hotel not gonna rat out that guest and show the employer the pics? Here, the bill would have been less and they let the employer know why ahead of time. Why would a hotel not let an employer know they kicked an employee out for sexual harassment? They just let the NFL handle the kicking out part here but it was their determination ahead of time according to their report.

Creeper

Reaction score
Well if an employer pays for a block of rooms and an employee trashes a room, the bill will be extra. I'm sure the hotel would take pics for evidence. Were the employer to ask, "who trashed that room?" and "show me the evidence before we pay," is the hotel not gonna rat out that guest and show the employer the pics? Here, the bill would have been less and they let the employer know why ahead of time. Why would a hotel not let an employer know they kicked an employee out for sexual harassment? They just let the NFL handle the kicking out part here but it was their determination ahead of time according to their report.
The NFL probably has a conduct clause with all its employees. They are hypersensitive about embarrassing shenanigans where they have to answer questions to the media. Clearly they would prefer if the players and NFL employees just behaved. I think they love punishing players and employees for conduct detrimental to the league. Remember, this is a league that fines players for wearing the wrong socks.

So it is not hard for me to believe that some lawyers hammered out some policy where the NFL tells hotels to let them know if any of their employees fart in the elevator. But it would be an unusual policy to say the least.

All this brings up another question. Was Irvin there to appear on ESPN at the request of the NFL? Or was did he receive an offer from ESPN which he accepted on his own? I wonder if Irvin needed permission from the NFL to appear on ESPN. What kind of contract does he have?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Maybe not an odd thing to do with Irvin’s history. And who knows if there was not other situations with him like when he was at ESPN. And maybe Irvin wasn’t willing to leave . Again, many things we don’t know.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yea, I’m not sure why it’s alarming to some that the hotel would contact the NFL considering the type of complaint and who it was against. And who knows if Irvin was willing to move hotels without word from the NFL.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Because of what has just happened, a lawsuit. Trashing a room, which involves money, is different and a hotel would give the guest an opportunity to make that right.

Calling anyone's employer over something like this is highly unusual and what has resulted is a lawsuit against the hotel when his employer acted.

I spent many years traveling and any hotel that would use this practice would not have business people staying there and even without the internet back then, we had a travelers' network. Spend 12 years on planes, you meet a lot of other road warriors.

If I am heading to AZ and have an employer, this is not a hotel I would even consider and I was surprised they didn't get out in front on this because the appearance is they tried to get a guest in trouble.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Because of what has just happened, a lawsuit. Trashing a room, which involves money, is different and a hotel would give the guest an opportunity to make that right.

Calling anyone's employer over something like this is highly unusual and what has resulted is a lawsuit against the hotel when his employer acted.

I spent many years traveling and any hotel that would use this practice would not have business people staying there and even without the internet back then, we had a travelers' network. Spend 12 years on planes, you meet a lot of other road warriors.

If I am heading to AZ and have an employer, this is not a hotel I would even consider and I was surprised they didn't get out in front on this because the appearance is they tried to get a guest in trouble.
There’s still so much we don’t know.

Was Irvin willing to be moved or did the representatives need to show up? Had Irvin already had some other history we didn’t know about since with NFLN?

What we do know is his history probably drove much of the decisions made by hotel Mgmt and network.

Creeper

Reaction score
Maybe not an odd thing to do with Irvin’s history. And who knows if there was not other situations with him like when he was at ESPN. And maybe Irvin wasn’t willing to leave . Again, many things we don’t know.
Why would the NFL hire Irvin in the first place if his history is so bad?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Why would the NFL hire Irvin in the first place if his history is so bad?
One because he’s popular. Having a voice for the Cowboys attracts many viewers.

It was also rumored our owner helped him get on with NFLN.

Smith22

Reaction score
Forget his history....

As an NFL analyst he's among the worst. He doesn't know anything
Comical post.

Irvin is a hall of famer and in the ring of honor. You don't put up the stats he did at WR in an era when the game was more about defense and running the ball (especially with #22 on your team) without knowing the game.