Is a big contract for Elliott the best decision?

Jeffkills

Reaction score
Jerry needs to somehow massively inflate the Cap through the CBA negotiations..

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One factor that I consider in this situation is that the offense is built around and depends on Zeke. That was done intentionally by the team. If Zeke is gone, I think it will expose Dak faults even more. I have always thought that any success that Dak has is directly linked to all of the talent around him and if pieces of that talent start to leave, Dak’s play will suffer more than anyone. We had a glimpse last year how bad this offense can be with poor talent at one of the skill positions. It was beyond horrible.

Yes it was. Despite it being "built around and depending on Zeke". But once Prescott had a legitimate receiver, everybody's numbers got dramatically better.

jnday

Reaction score
This OL hasn't been great since 2016. And even then, it gets overrated. You don't need some mammoth great OL to win today. The resources they put into that were stupid.

Also, this same OL without Zeke or Murray looks horrendous. So who exactly is propping up who? This run game was junk without Murray in 2015 and was junk without Zeke in 2017. I hope you don't think this OL is going to make guys look better. They aren't. And now every single one of them have injury issues.
You have a short memory. Only a few years ago they had players like Phil Costa and Nate Livings playing and the line was horrendous. The offensive line is the only group on a football team that effects the success of every other group on the team. It doesn’t matter how good an oline is when it comes to putting sorry RBs behind them. This offense was designed to have a tough running games and they doubled down on their chances of success by drafting a top RB. There is nothing wrong with it if that is how they want to build a team.

jnday

Reaction score
Yes it was. Despite it being "built around and depending on Zeke". But once Prescott had a legitimate receiver, everybody's numbers got dramatically better.
How successful would the passing game be if the defenses were not keying in on Zeke? Teams dare Dak to beat them in the air now when they key in on Zeke. Without Zeke distracting the defense, they could shut the passing game down easily. Dak doesn’t have the passing skills like Rodgers or Brady to beat tight coverage.

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
Like many of you, I find myself conflicted regarding the whole Zeke holdout issue. On one hand, I realize that he truly is a great player and a difference maker on the field. These Cowboys are certainly better with him than without him.

But is it in the team's best interests long term to make him the league's highest paid running back?

It certainly helps this year if they truly feel that they're a championship contender, and may be the difference between getting to the playoffs and not.

But can you trust the guy not to flake out again? Can you trust that once he gets paid he'll be the same iron man on the field that he has been? Can you trust him period?

And in a league that for better or worse (not being debated here) doesn't pay running backs big money, are you screwing up your cap by being the team that pays the most for theirs?

If you pay your running back tops in the league, where else are you short-changing yourself? Who are you forced to let go when there's no more cap room left?

Add it all up and I wonder if paying him is ultimately in the Cowboys long-term best interests?

What say you?
I don't trust Elliott to stay out of trouble, and I am opposed to giving him Gurley money given the injury risk at the position, and I think behind this OL, most *decent* RBs would be productive. Personally, I'd roll with Pollard as the starter, look at camp cuts or trade to find a complement back for a 1-2 punch (I like Josh Adams from Philly), and keep Morris as a third back.
My main concern would be to make sure to have a back that can get the tough yards, red zone carries.

Brax

Reaction score
One factor that I consider in this situation is that the offense is built around and depends on Zeke. That was done intentionally by the team. If Zeke is gone, I think it will expose Dak faults even more. I have always thought that any success that Dak has is directly linked to all of the talent around him and if pieces of that talent start to leave, Dak’s play will suffer more than anyone. We had a glimpse last year how bad this offense can be with poor talent at one of the skill positions. It was beyond horrible.
I believe that is the problem, Jerry and Jason offensive philosophy is based on the 90's running the ball with a high level QB, Zeke is the engine pair him with quality Wr like Cooper or Dez and Dak can be efficient, remove one of those parts and Dak suffers because he is not a high level QB. Jerry has put in all his chips on Dak and now must pay a price to protect him and paying Zeke and then Cooper is a must as Dak will not carry this team on his back. Right or wrong JJ has a short window for a super bowl and he knows it.

Verdict

Reaction score
Like many of you, I find myself conflicted regarding the whole Zeke holdout issue. On one hand, I realize that he truly is a great player and a difference maker on the field. These Cowboys are certainly better with him than without him.

But is it in the team's best interests long term to make him the league's highest paid running back?

It certainly helps this year if they truly feel that they're a championship contender, and may be the difference between getting to the playoffs and not.

But can you trust the guy not to flake out again? Can you trust that once he gets paid he'll be the same iron man on the field that he has been? Can you trust him period?

And in a league that for better or worse (not being debated here) doesn't pay running backs big money, are you screwing up your cap by being the team that pays the most for theirs?

If you pay your running back tops in the league, where else are you short-changing yourself? Who are you forced to let go when there's no more cap room left?

Add it all up and I wonder if paying him is ultimately in the Cowboys long-term best interests?

What say you?

I would probably have paid Zeke because he is a difference maker and I would have flipped Tank for picks. I would have required protective language in Zeke’s contract for suspension, etc.

Since Tank’s contract is already a done deal you have to figure out who you are going to let walk over the next two years. They can’t pay everyone. Byron is probably the one who is moved for compensation. I’m not sure Amari is a lock either. I can see us franchising him for another year and letting him walk for a comp pick if we can’t trade him.

I can’t tell you who is going to walk or be traded but it’s coming unless we just decide depth isn’t a good thing to have on a football team. And that never works out.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Jerry needs to somehow massively inflate the Cap through the CBA negotiations..

I think he would encounter just a tad bit of resistance from 31 other old, rich guys...and perhaps his son.

Verdict

Reaction score
Sign him. Gurley is the highest paid RB and it didn't keep them from giving Donald a HUGE contract and they still went to the SB, and beat us on their way there.

While it is true, do you think the Rams will be able to hold the team together in a year or two? That may be the prices of those moves by the Rams. IDK.

Ken

Reaction score

What say you?
The only way I am ok with a big deal for Zeke is if they can get out of it after 3...

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Zeke needs to stay in Cabo and let the Cowboys find their appreciation for him the hard way by losing a few games.

snf-zeke-mx-+%283%29.jpg

Reaction score
The only way I am ok with a big deal for Zeke is if they can get out of it after 3...

Definitely,,, this embarrassment of riches can fade quickly and the window will be closed, don't need to be in cap hell all over again! I'm very interested to see if the front office is capable of capitalizing on their drafting success and building on it. They need to start letting guys go earlier or trade them for additional draft picks, that's the only to stay ahead and consistently field a good team.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Depends on who we lose and who their replacements are.

Can we afford to lose Crawford, Lee, Byron Jones, Lael Collins, Joe Looney, Witten etc? If we can finally go younger/cheaper and still get high production at these positions then signing zeke, cooper, dak is much more doable.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Do you want the team to make the play-offs?

The answer to that tells you what this decision is.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How successful would the passing game be if the defenses were not keying in on Zeke? Teams dare Dak to beat them in the air now when they key in on Zeke. Without Zeke distracting the defense, they could shut the passing game down easily. Dak doesn’t have the passing skills like Rodgers or Brady to beat tight coverage.

With a capable running back behind this offensive line (one NOT named Alfred Morris), teams would still respect this team's running game.

It's about the offensive line.

The same one that made Demarco Murray, Darren McFadden, and Ezekiel Elliott. That's exactly why they invested so much in them, so they wouldn't need to draft or pay a star running back. Remember them saying that when they decided they didn't need to pay Murray? I do.

Jeffkills

Reaction score
I think he would encounter just a tad bit of resistance from 31 other old, rich guys...and perhaps his son.
Yeah, right.

Not from Stephen. Stephen is cheap RE salary charges, not in general as a person.

Do you realize how much profit increased on-field success would make the Cowboys?

If we win a SB, our Forbes value would skyrocket past $10B, which would be undervalued figure.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Yeah, right.

Not from Stephen. Stephen is cheap RE salary charges, not in general as a person.

Do you realize how much profit increased on-field success would make the Cowboys?

If we win a SB, our Forbes value would skyrocket past $10B, which would be undervalued figure.

There's still those pesky 31 other owners Jerry would need to convince to increase their salary costs, or at least half of them.

Good luck.

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
With a capable running back behind this offensive line (one NOT named Alfred Morris), teams would still respect this team's running game.

It's about the offensive line.

The same one that made Demarco Murray, Darren McFadden, and Ezekiel Elliott. That's exactly why they invested so much in them, so they wouldn't need to draft or pay a star running back. Remember them saying that when they decided they didn't need to pay Murray? I do.
It's just about having a capable back (or set of backs). I honestly think if they could just get a solid power back, one that can get the tough yards, to pair with Pollard, they'd be fine without Elliott. Murray was good, but not special. McFadden was a cast-off from the Raiders.