Is an O-lineman out of the question?

juck

Reaction score
in the first.what do u guys think?I do not feel we would do that,but i am curious on ur opinions.Like if Winston Justice is there that would be hard to pass on him.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
only if there is value -- and I don't see anyone worth #18 aside from D'Brick and Justice. So really we are just talking about Justice -- if he is there we either take him or trade the pick (unless some other surprise player drops). Justice is a top 10 pick in a draft that is pretty flat between 11-25. He'd be too much of a value to not take.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I doubt anything is completely out of the question. I do think the focus is elsewhere though. If someone they deem is great drops, they'll either trade out or take him. Just like when Stephen Jackson was there.

Natedawg44

Reaction score
I agree totally with aber Justice or a trade down if thats what they truly want. The value for Oline is going to be in the second and third with alot of very good prospects. If its not Justice or DBrick there is no one worth the 18th pick.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
I think Justice might be the only one worth 18. Could see OL in a trade down.

The draft is deep in OL this year. You can get some quality players even on Day 2.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
If it is not out of the question... can he start playing right away... doubtful right?

DragonCowboy

Reaction score
OL isn't totally out of the question, but think of this...

OG - There is no 1st round guard value, but there are alot of 2nd rounders..

OC - I cannot see Parcells taking a center in the first round, too many other worries...

OT - If Justice falls, maybe. However, if the Cowboys are in fact "putting all their marbles in the circle", they wouldn't draft a person to be a backup.

See, my opinion on this is, if Burnett (hopefully) can prove to become our OLB of the future, we won't have to worry about a draft pick until in the later rounds. There is alot of FS value in the later rounds, and you can pretty much go anywhere...

Needs:

OG - again, value is in the second
OT - maybe take one in the first
FS - value is in later rounds
OC - not this draft, folks
OLB - I would want an OLB in the first, but who knows how Justice pans out
WR - We need a young one, hopefully we can pick up an extra 3rd and get him...

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
I agree with some of the posters above in that depending on how the team feels about Peterman, Kosier, and Rivera we could definitely take a guard in round 2 such as Jean-Gilles or Latui.

Latui looked great, IMO, in the clips posted in the other thread.

brewers47

Reaction score
I am not sure about the exact number but i believe it is over 300 games in a row in which the Cowboys starting ofensive line did not contain one First Round Draft Pick

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
juckie said:
in the first.what do u guys think?I do not feel we would do that,but i am curious on ur opinions.Like if Winston Justice is there that would be hard to pass on him.

if Justice is there I'd take him in a heartbeat...major upgrade for our OL and after a yr at RT, probably moves to LT

I'd take Eric Winston in round 1 as well, but only if we can move down 8-10-12 spots and still get him

David

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
theogt said:
I agree with some of the posters above in that depending on how the team feels about Peterman, Kosier, and Rivera we could definitely take a guard in round 2 such as Jean-Gilles or Latui.

Latui looked great, IMO, in the clips posted in the other thread.

you realize both of those guys basically move like slugs right?

one of the reasons they cut Larry Allen was because they wanted a more movement/athletic type at the guar positions...niether one of the guys you mention fit that description and both are a threat to eat themselves out of the league at any time

David

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
you realize both of those guys basically move like slugs right?

one of the reasons they cut Larry Allen was because they wanted a more movement/athletic type at the guar positions...niether one of the guys you mention fit that description and both are a threat to eat themselves out of the league at any time

David
They're both solid guards. THE ONLY REASON we cut Larry Allen was his paycheck.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
theogt said:
They're both solid guards. THE ONLY REASON we cut Larry Allen was his paycheck.

I agree with Dbair, I think the current Cowboys' staff favors more athetic, mobile guards over the maulers.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
not according to Jerry it wasnt

David
If I recall correctly, according to Jerry it was a tough decision, but his paycheck was too steep for his talent.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
theogt said:
If I recall correctly, according to Jerry it was a tough decision, but his paycheck was too steep for his talent.

go back and read the articles on his release...Jones goes into pretty good detail about why Allen was cut and the contract wasnt reworked, and he said it was because of the style of offense they want to play and what they want the OL's to be able to do, he specifically mentioned mobility and playing in space

David