Is anyone else concerned about the Offensive Line?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I would have to watch them again lol my memory isnt that good.:p
Our offense was not very good last year until we were way behind and other team was playing prevent .
And that to me is not a # 1 offense.
They only scored 17 in opening game , and our defense held rams to 20 points,so to me it was the offense that lost that game.

Yawn..............going with that lame theory eh? Cowboys were up 14-7 on Cleveland after the first quarter and lost something like 50-41.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
I too have some concern about it. Mostly from a health standpoint. Having said that, I’m still glad they went heavy defense during the draft including in round 1. I do think they have some decent depth with G/C Connor McGovern, OT Ty Nsekhe and now rookie OT Josh Ball.

Last year our OL was decimated with injuries, and health issues are more and more becoming the rule rather than the exception. Smith loses time every year, and last year it was both tackles plus Martin. I want a situation where depending on OL depth is the exception rather than the rule.
IMO expecting your LT to go down every year means we need a new LT rather than just hoping your backup can handle the job.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
No, if the Cowboys thought the O-line was going to be a problem, they would have drafted Slater. Instead, they knew the O-line is looking good so they addressed a position in greater need... LB.

They thought the OL was good to go last year too, before it was decimated.
But I agree that addressing the defense had to be considered the greater need. They had no reasonable choice.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
They thought the OL was good to go last year too, before it was decimated.
But I agree that addressing the defense had to be considered the greater need. They had no reasonable choice.
That's an answer seemingly uninformed of the difference between now and a year ago with the O-line... what lengths the Cowboys have gone through to correct lingering problems with its perennial pro-bowl players on the O-line. Both Tyron Smith and La'el Collins have had surgery. La'el Collins on his hip and Tyron on his neck. Both surgeries successful and the players recovering with intense rehabilitation. Both reporting great improvement in their ability to play over previous years when they played injured. In short, it's different this year and you can lay your skepticism to rest. Also, don't forget the additions to the O-line roster, tackles Isaac Alarcon, Josh Ball, Ty Nsekhe, and guard Matt Farnick.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Not concerned with it.

If they made the right picks on offensive line they should be fine.

If what they say about Collins and Tyron is true...they should be fine.

Biadicz is in year 2...I expects him to be even better at center.

I expect Conner Williams to be better. I believe this is a contract year if I'm not mistaken.

I expect McGovern to be better.

I see depth among the line especially adding the 36 year old tackle we added in free agency.

I also expect Steele and Knight to be better.

I don't expect 2014-2016 offensive line. Them days are gone. Fredericks is gone. But I expect a solid offensive line.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No concern at all. I go into each new season as all will be healthy and will stay that way. Injuries are part of the game. The team just needs to be prepared. Which at times is hard to do. And if you do get lucky and your depth plays well, great. However, it is tough to maintain that depth.

I do understand the concern about health and past injuries. But it was not so bad of shape to draft any OL high in the draft. Depending how the defense does, I do expect them to get back to drafting an OL in the top 3 rounds next year.

Fix the defense and do not be so dependent on the the offense.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
I’ve been going back and forth on the Parsons pick over Slater for a number of reasons.

I’m glad the front office saw the need for defensive playmakers, but the offensive line really scares me.

Tyron hasn’t played a full season since 2015, La’el has only played 2 full seasons in his 5 year career. Not to mention, Zach Martin getting banged up here and there. The other guys are still unproven.

We saw how pedestrian Zeke looked without those guys, and I think it has a trickle down effect on the entire unit.

Anyone else feeling the same, or am I overthinking this?

I don't know if anyone feels completely confident, but also felt Slater wasn't the guy to take there. Still think Slater projects better inside than outside and probably isnt an LT in the NFL.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’ve been going back and forth on the Parsons pick over Slater for a number of reasons.

I’m glad the front office saw the need for defensive playmakers, but the offensive line really scares me.

Tyron hasn’t played a full season since 2015, La’el has only played 2 full seasons in his 5 year career. Not to mention, Zach Martin getting banged up here and there. The other guys are still unproven.

We saw how pedestrian Zeke looked without those guys, and I think it has a trickle down effect on the entire unit.

I’m kind of torn actually. Part of me feels as you do, mainly because of health concerns about the starting tackles.

Then there’s another part of me excited by the potential depth. Knight and Steele gained a ton of experience last year which is one of the few positives of the season. Biadasz gained valuable experience as well as McGovern. Biadasz may be the lone starter of those young guys, so it’s nice to have experienced depth.

Nyseke is a solid swing tackle and they still have Mitch Hyatt in the building and rookie Josh Ball in the mix. That shows me a lot of options.

So it’s a mixed bag for me. Done worry about starters long term health but a bit of confidence in depth.

Creeper

Reaction score
Yes, I am concerned and I think there is ample reason to be concerned. Let's start with Tyron Smith. I think Smith will be okay to start the season. I will accept the Cowboys optimistic assessment that Tyron was dealing with injuries related to his neck and that is now fixed. However, Tyron has missed at least 3 games per year for the past few years, and not just with neck injuries. The NFC East is going to be close, so if he misses 3 games this year it could be the difference between making the playoffs and not making the playoffs if they do not have an adequate backup to replace him.

On the other side is La'el Collins who just had hip surgery. Again, we can accept the Cowboys assessment that he is fine but he didn't play at all last year, and a hip is a very significant joint for an offensive lineman. If he cannot bend, he cannot get leverage. If he stays high he will get pushed around by ever DE in the league. We should be concerned because we have not seen him since his operation. No matter what the Joneses say, I prefer to see for myself. Remember, last year it took them forever to pronounce him out for the season.

Martin is going to be fine. I would place a large bet on that, assuming he does not suffer another injury which can happen to any player in the league.

Now comes the real issue. Connor Williams was the weak leak on this OL and has been since he took the field as a rookie. He may be the best on the team blocking in motion, but his issue is he cannot stand up well to big, strong DTs who just come right at him. Unfortunately, the NFCE is loaded with them. Because he struggles in these situations, he needs help from the C, which in this case is the unproven Tyler Biadasz. I have never felt Connor Williams was big enough or strong enough to hold up in the NFL and until I see otherwise, I will continue to feel that way.

To me Biadasz is still an unknown. He looked pretty good in the few games he played last season, but as soon as Looney was healthy again, Biadasz went to the bench. It is not like Looney is some great C. He is just a guy. I was a bad year last year without a real training camp and without a real preseason, especially for rookies. Hopefully Biadasz added some mature strength and the experience from playing in 2020 gave him some things to work on to improve.

If it was just Tyron Smith, or La'el Collins, then I would not be concerned. But we have reason to be concerned about 4 starters on the OL. Everything has to go right for them or they will be replaced by inferior backups. It will be a long 17 game season.

On the positive side, Steele and Knight get a lot of experience and should improve. Josh Ball, is a quality draft pick and has potential we can hope develops. Connor McGovern got in there a few games and looked like he can be okay. He did not embarrass himself. But the team struggled without the starters.

quickccc

Reaction score

the big difference and deciding factor was the Cowboys did not think Slater was an OT .. they envisioned him more as a OG.
Dunno if this was coaches vs scouts, .based off what OL coach Joe Philibin believes but once i heard about the OG suggestion i wasn't surprising we passed over slater to take Parson

i do still worry about Tyron ... i don't think he'll make this year either. He could miss 3 games, ..he could miss the entire season - per neck or back again.
i expect him to be in and out of games, too. so its' best to have spare parts serviceable backups as Plan B options ( Knight, Nsekhe, Ball)

i'm betting Steele stays as at RT backup, but i am sorely hoping he is at the bottom of the depth chart. and others will beat him out

But apparently they love his length and athleticism and may want to continue to invest in his growth and potential, and think he'll improve.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
You cherry pick 3 games and use that as your agenda? Wow, can you say “embarrassed?” :lmao::lmao::lmao2::lmao2:
Those 3 embarrassing games was the difference in 8-8 and 11-5.

They matter believe it or not. I know you don't like me bringing those up because your GOAT threw ZERO TDs combined in all of them, but they happened.

quickccc

Reaction score
I don't think they've waited to long to rebuild. You can't prepare for a Fredrick situation, but they drafted Biadasz last year. McGovern the year before. CWill is coming up as a FA. Martin/Collins are still young for OL. They have quite a bit of young pieces. Tyron will be the next to fall as he has shown that even though he is 30...he will miss games. Maybe they get lucky and Ball is the long term solution.

Zack Martin will be age 31 this year, but you can get away with vet interior guys into their 30's with them playing inside
in a phone booth area than you can with OTs being out on an island handling the speedy edges.

- i frankly think Martin is not as dominant as his earlier years, but he is still very effective
as a pure player.
Once he starts missing games as he did last year then thats when i 'll really worry
about him.
Truly hope we never have to move Martin outside at OT ever again. want to preserve his
career here as long as possible.

- Apparently Cowboys feel so good about their new depth and optional players that they did not think they needed to re-sign locker room popular vet Joe looney.

- That also should tell us how high and confident they feel about 2nd year guy Tyler Biadasz.. and they apparently are very confident in options such as McGovern, Williams can fill in a pinch dunno how 7th rd rookie

Don't be surprised if Brandon Knight is also taking reps inside at OG. he's really more a natural interior OG than he is as an OT. Expect him to take reps at both spots.

- i would've like to at least have Looney per camp body into training camp for sake of safe injury but perhaps coaches want
to use OTA/camp/preseason to get the younger guys significant reps for backup duty experience.
Dunno how 7th rd project plays into the fold. Could be practice squadee .Have to observe him in camp.

Last edited:

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
Our offensive linemen are Warriors Last season they were wounded Warriors. We were using the backups backups If healthy they will be very effective this season And the backups and their backup linemen gained experience

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Those 3 embarrassing games was the difference in 8-8 and 11-5.

They matter believe it or not. I know you don't like me bringing those up because your GOAT threw ZERO TDs combined in all of them, but they happened.
Cherry picking 3 games is cherry picking 3 games. What about the other games that got them into position? With a bottom 5 defense? Huh?

btcutter

Reaction score

Agree with your reasoning. Should have picked Slater over Parsons. He would instantly starts at G over William who is either tradable or can be cut cheaply. Our LB group is now a crowded mess. We can’t cut Smith. LVE has low trade value.

We could have picked up a LB later in the rounds.
Of course if Parson is the next LT then I’m wrong.

btcutter

Reaction score
I don't think they've waited to long to rebuild. You can't prepare for a Fredrick situation, but they drafted Biadasz last year. McGovern the year before. CWill is coming up as a FA. Martin/Collins are still young for OL. They have quite a bit of young pieces. Tyron will be the next to fall as he has shown that even though he is 30...he will miss games. Maybe they get lucky and Ball is the long term solution.

You are an optimist.
Ball is a 4th round pick with a history. Hard for me to bank on him.
Tyron hasn’t played a full season in how many years now?
Collins has more than his share of injuries for a young OL.

Slater would have been ideal. We should have at least used one our 3rd rounds on an OT.