Is Back Up QB the Biggest Concern?

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Rather roll with White & his cannon arm with our speedy wr's. Our OL should give him the protection to make reads, unlike last years OL.
I wouldn't characterize White as having a "cannon arm".

Techsass

Reaction score
We only expect our back up QBs to be out there for a series or 2. Our last decent backup was Kyle Orton, then Weeden, Kellen & Sanchez. Our FO has a glass half full outlook when it comes to planning.

Last edited:

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
When Broaddus comments about White not commanding a huddle well, it really sounds like his confidence is lacking. Not good. Other than arm strength, he has much to prove in the upcoming preseason. That might be possible but it's not especially encouraging just yet.

It'd be outstanding if he were to make some surprising progress. Otherwise, it's anything but a good situation for our backup QB scenario. Nevertheless, White's the team's primary hope to be a serviceable backup QB until a better candidate appears. In the meantime, pray for a wondrous transition. ;)

Last edited:

NotForLong

Reaction score
Backup quarterback being the biggest concern is only after my worst nightmare has come true, and I hope to sleep well:)
My biggest Fantasy . . . in a perfect world of Dak stinking for the year . . . is this, He finally gets hurt and Mike White leads us to the Promised Land . . . Go Cowboys

ItzKelz

Reaction score
My biggest Fantasy . . . in a perfect world of Dak stinking for the year . . . is this, He finally gets hurt and Mike White leads us to the Promised Land . . . Go Cowboys
Go one further and hope for Freddie to not have a full recovery.....your biggest fantasy

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Word is from Broaddus that neither Rush or White have shown the ability to command a huddle to the point that JG had to scold White for not being able to run the huddle
Well didnt these guys run a huddle in college??
If they cant now that is on JG and the cowboy coaches, what have they been teaching these guys all this time??
Either one should be able to fill in a game or 2 if they had been properly coached.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Well didnt these guys run a huddle in college??
If they cant now that is on JG and the cowboy coaches, what have they been teaching these guys all this time??
Either one should be able to fill in a game or 2 if they had been properly coached.
You can't teach leadership. The NFL is the highest level of competition in the NFL. In Junior High, High School and College most QBs that made it to the NFL to include the backups were likely the best player on their team or close to it and sometimes talent on those level overcome a lack of leadership. The reason that Dak had the success he had as a rookie in the huddle was because his leadership is natural and of course he did this under JG and the coaches. Romo's best friend Jason Witten said himself that he looked as if he had been their for years. If handling the huddle in practice is too much for Rush and White they just do not have it in them and never will.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Does anyone really have faith in either of our options at QB should Dak go down? Word is from Broaddus that neither Rush or White have shown the ability to command a huddle to the point that JG had to scold White for not being able to run the huddle. Very concerning IMO. Should we explore bringing in a vet? I mean if we are truly all in should we not ensure that if Dak has to miss a game or two that the boat doesnt completely sink?

It's definitely the biggest concern for me. And the more I hear about Cooper Rush, the more I feel that he simply can't play at the pro level. I now feel that his 2017 preseason was a mirage, from a quarterback who simply locked in on his first read and threw an accurate pass. Since then, he's look completely overmatched. And the report said from yesterday's practice said he threw three to four interceptions.

I'd definitely start looking. If not for an established veteran, at least for a young guy with some potential upside.