Is barry better then emmitt ?

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Sac A Indo said:
Why did it get moved ?

No offense... but because this it where it belongs...

Barry has been retired for over 5 years... and Emmitt is now retired...

We try to keep the main board open for current stuff...

That being said... it is an intersting subject, but has been covered many times on this board...

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Barry = All Time Yardage Lost from Line of Scrimmage

Barry was the most exciting running back ever, but he made people miss. He didn't have the vision to see holes that other RBs could (watch some of his old games, how many holes he passed up to bounce outside).

Hoovie

Reaction score
oh boy the old "if barry had smiths line he woulda been the greatest ever" arguement.

If I was building a team in that day, I'd have taken Barry over Emmitt, but I think it comes down to personal preference.

Hoov

Reaction score
I don't remeber Barry being good at picking up blitz on passing plays, and i don't think he was a good receiver either. Also, Emmitt was "money" down at the goal line. I'll take power and vision over speed and agility.

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
Hoov said:
I don't remeber Barry being good at picking up blitz on passing plays, and i don't think he was a good receiver either. Also, Emmitt was "money" down at the goal line. I'll take power and vision over speed and agility.

again, hoov hits the nail on the head!

barry was a superfreak, never see feet like that again, but hoov says it best.
emmitt did all the intangibles.

peace, lane

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Hoovie said:
oh boy the old "if barry had smiths line he woulda been the greatest ever" arguement.

If I was building a team in that day, I'd have taken Barry over Emmitt, but I think it comes down to personal preference.

Well said...I think if you're idea of a great running back is a guy who is a natural runner, with break away ability on every play, then Barry's your guy...

If you want the sure bet...and the guy with the better all around game, Emmitt was the guy.

Personally, I'd be able to live with either...but I dont think I've ever seen a better runner than Sanders...maybe Sayers...

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
If barry fans took what they said to heart they'd be pumping sayers as the GOAT rb.

Payton34Smith22

Reaction score
Hoov said:

Beat me to it & you nailed it!

awfg2001

Reaction score
Man I love this question!! Hoov is absolutely correct!!Barry was a 1st and 2nd down back.I will say he was the best "pure" runner,if you would.But when it comes down to a Running Back...it takes more than just running the ball.You have to pick up a blitz,pass protect and catch out of the backfield also. A while back I did a show with Barry and took a picture with him while holding up two fingers...he asked "why are you giving the peace sign?" I told him" it's naot a peace sign..its #2,because Im kicking it with the 2nd best RB" He gave a little laugh and asked "who is #1?" I told him Emmitt....and gave the same reason as stated above. He gave me props and was cool the whole day!!
http://img.***BLOCKED***/albums/v446/awfg2001/photos/Barry2.jpg

JGleas

Draft Expert
Reaction score
I think Emmit is probably better, but if your starting a franchise, you gotta go with Barry. With all his moves and everything and no matter how much the Lions sucked he never said "Im a gem in garbage" or w/e Emmit said.

Hoov

Reaction score
JGleas said:
I think Emmit is probably better, but if your starting a franchise, you gotta go with Barry. With all his moves and everything and no matter how much the Lions sucked he never said "Im a gem in garbage" or w/e Emmit said.

I don't know exactly what Emmitt said that day, but clips and one line statements get twisted around, changed and taken out of context by media all the time. If you look at Emmitt's career, all the positive things he said and did, and the way his coachs and peers speak about him this sounds out of character for him. Also, if this is the worst thing that the media could drudge up on a person who has been so in the spotlight for 10 years or more, that in itself speaks to his character. Lets not let one negative thing that he may or may not have meant in the way it was reported have equal weight to all the good and positive things.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Sanders was the better pure runner, Emmitt was the better all around back. I'd take Emmitt over Barry any day of the week and that is not a knock on Sanders just how high I was on Emmitt.

TX Cowboy

Reaction score
Barry never had the heart of a Emmitt sure he could run and he proved that when he
backed out like a coward when he couldn't get his own way, so he took his ball and
went home.

Emmitt never would abandon his team or the fans the man is a true competitor all heart reminds me of Walter Payton in every thing that he did.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
http://img.***BLOCKED***/albums/v446/awfg2001/photos/Isaacsmall2.jpg

Awesome pic. How did you meet MW?

And Barry probably would have been better than Emmitt if he would have ran behind our line. In the end, Emmitt gets the nod because of consistency and longevity, but if Sanders could have ran with us in the 90's, I think the argument could possibly be made that he would be the greatest football player of all-time. He would have smoked 20,000 yards.

But it didn't happen and we'll never know.

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
Avery said:
http://img.***BLOCKED***/albums/v446/awfg2001/photos/Isaacsmall2.jpg

Awesome pic. How did you meet MW?

And Barry probably would have been better than Emmitt if he would have ran behind our line. In the end, Emmitt gets the nod because of consistency and longevity, but if Sanders could have ran with us in the 90's, I think the argument could possibly be made that he would be the greatest football player of all-time. He would have smoked 20,000 yards.

But it didn't happen and we'll never know.
You do not know that. The thing about barry is he would never tough it out and get the two yards in the pile. He would hardly ever go where the play ran. He would of had to been taken out on 3rd and long and on Goaline situation taking out the surprise draw play. And, I just can't see barry playing against the giants on MNF with a seperated shoulder.