Is Barry Church Underrated?

Temo

Reaction score
We've had 3 starting players in the secondary miss time this season.

I sorted all the games the Cowboys have played this year by Football Outsider's Pass DVOA and highlighted the games played by each of the three players. In general, Church played in all of our good games and missed 4 of our worst games.

By the way -- I do think week 4 (SF), week 3 (CHI), and week 5 (CIN) deserve some asterisks. CHI and CIN did most of their damage after being down a lot, and the SF game was Gabbert completing a few big passes early in the game and then just not passing later in the game.

JBell

That's still my Quarterback
Reaction score
Good stuff. I noticed Church gets to roam around the box quite often while we play single high. We all know his man coverage isn't great, but he's good at anticipating and using his instincts in the pass game.

Not sure if we win the game vs. GB earlier in the year without him. He caused two of the Packers 4 turnovers.

LittleD

Reaction score
Church is a good not great or catalytic player. He's better in the box than in coverage but,
his years of experience tend to get him by on assignments. He's not Pro Bowl or All Pro but,
you need some of these types of players cause you can have All Pro's at every position.

Proximo

Reaction score
I'd say yea, he's underrated.

Rarely do you see or hear anyone talk him up, and he's been a very good player and I believe a leader on the defense.

I don't think many people outside of Cowboys fans even know who he is.

gmoney112

Reaction score
You noticed the back end improved a lot, Barry included once they got a little talent at FS.

Underrated, not really. The most underrated aspect of him that fans don't see is probably his locker room/off field stuff. There's a reason why he's been voted team captain a few times.

I think when it's all said and done he'll be here over JJ next year.

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
The entire Cowboys secondary is underrated. They've been the most consistent positions group this season. They won't be overlooked after this weekend though. Rodgers is going to wish he was at home snuggled up with Jordy under an ugly green and yellow blanky that smells like crappy beer and smelly cheese while rehearsing State Farm commercials.

d_dub88

Reaction score
He can be good in coverage depending on the situation. I don't know if most who aren't Cowboys' fans know how smart he is on the field and he can sucker QBs into bad passes, like when he got Cousins early this season. I like him because he's a tackling machine and essentially an extra LB.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I think he's rated pretty accurately.

Solid player but has shortcomings.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No he isn't underrated. He is an average player. Doesn't do anything real well. He can make a couple of plays every game but also give up a couple of plays every game. I've wanted him replaced with a better more impactful player for a while now.

conner01

Reaction score
I think he is an above avg player
Don't know about rating but he is solid and plays hard as well as being a good leader
He's not a pro bowler and never will be but he gets the job done to the best of his ability

T-RO

Reaction score
Church is a good not great or catalytic player. He's better in the box than in coverage but,
his years of experience tend to get him by on assignments. He's not Pro Bowl or All Pro but,
you need some of these types of players cause you can have All Pro's at every position.

Agree. He's smart, tough and seems to know his responsibilities. He's not a superior athlete nor does he have the preternatural instincts that the very best safeties seem to have.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I would say that as a strong safety, Church is good at what he does. What he brings is a ton of tackles. Mix him with Sean Lee and you have what shows up for our Cowboys...a strong run defense. That pushes an opponent into a corner...and some teams actually resort to a dominant tight end.

He meshes well in a group, secondary. Some of his end product, is the way Marrinelli schemes him to play. The box area is his stomping grounds, but that is by design as well.

I've liked Church and he has grown with his experience...I like him in the secondary. Safety is no longer a dirty word for the Cowboys. Church is part of that.

Last edited:

HomeBiscuit

Reaction score
Every player in the history of the Dallas Cowboys is underrated I think. Starting with Matt Johnson.

Proof

Reaction score
I think he's definitely underrated. Not because o think he's great, but because he's been marginalized and written off almost his whole tenure, but has been pretty much the leading tackler and named team captain for years running now. Also because the defense suffered when he went down. Sometimes you need an injection of talent, sometimes you just need a guy to do his job unsung and Barry church does his job

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Church dropped what would have been a couple of INT's off Eli in our second loss to the Giants. Crap like that isn't going to help raise his rating.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Barry's a good player for what he does, but has been in a position where he's been more exposed than he should have been for most of his career. Now that he's got a bit more support, he's showing better. Good intangibles, too. He just can't be put in some of the coverage positions he's been in in the past.