cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Is Bomar’s best yet to come?
By RANDY COVITZ
The Kansas City Star

LISA HALL
Bomar
NFL draft preview: quarterbacks

Rhett Bomar insists he didn’t sit and watch much of Oklahoma’s appearance in the BCS national championship game. But …

“I probably saw a little bit of it here and there,” he concedes, “but I didn’t have a party to watch the game.”

Instead, he could only wonder if that should have been him winning the Heisman Trophy and leading the Sooners’ high-scoring attack instead of Sam Bradford.

“You’d just go crazy thinking that should have been me, I should have been there and things like that,” Bomar said.

But it could have been him.

Instead, Bomar, who started at quarterback for the Sooners as a redshirt freshman in 2005, was dismissed from school in 2006 after an investigation revealed he violated NCAA rules by accepting wages he had not earned at a car dealership.

He enrolled at Division I-AA Sam Houston State, and after sitting out a 12-month suspension, started the next two seasons, became a team captain and the school’s all-time leading passer.

While Bradford elected to return to Oklahoma for his senior season and a possible second Heisman Trophy, Bomar is preparing for the NFL draft, and may well be a midround pick.

“I like Bomar,” said NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock. “He’s a coach’s son, understands the game … has a big arm. I think he can be a starter in the league, and not a lot of people talk about him.”

When they do talk about Bomar, it’s usually about his missteps at Oklahoma.

“Of course I wish it hadn’t happened, and things might have been different,” said Bomar, 6 feet 2 1/4 and 225 pounds. “But the way I look at it, it matured me a lot. …

“When you go to the NFL, you’re going to deal with a lot of things. Nothing’s going to go perfect. … A lot of stuff in life people don’t deal with in college, and I think that’s just going to help me in the long run.”

Bomar, who will be 24 this summer, doesn’t think he regressed while playing at Sam Houston State. If anything, he learned to appreciate the game and his next opportunity.

“It’s tough, of course, coming from the situation I was in, starting at a big school and then you go down,” Bomar said. “I went in there without an ego. I couldn’t, because you want those guys to accept you. …

“Those coaches gave me a shot, they helped me out these last two years, and I’ll always have great memories of that place.”

Posted on Sat, Apr. 11, 2009 10:15 PM

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
Don't sleep on Bomar. He's going to be a better pro than college player.

I wouldn't bat an eye if we drafted him as high as the fourth and developed him as a backup/starter in case of injury.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Avery;2727045 said:
Don't sleep on Bomar. He's going to be a better pro than college player.

I wouldn't bat an eye if we drafted him as high as the fourth and developed him as a backup/starter in case of injury.

i agree, he looks good