Is Bones making a difference on Special Teams?

quickccc

Reaction score
For all the criticism Cowboys special teams coach Bones Fassel has received during his 2 year stint thus far, .. i've never experienced or at least recalled an season - (even in the Jimmie Johnson era ) where our special teams has blocked two punts within one season.

Luke Gifford blocked a punt vs Pats ... and just very recently it was Malik Turner who blocked a punt (albeit controversial punt block recovery) ..so is Bones bringing something to the special teams unit that we haven't had in quite some time ?

Is Bones bringing something unique to our special teams after all ?

i'd always wonder what kind of SP coach Bones could become if he cut out all the antics, and exotic free for all calls and plays that is ill advised or come at the worst timing and placement .. what if Bones just lines up and coaches flat out sound fundamental, discipline special teams ...

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
For all the criticism Cowboys special teams coach Bones Fassel has received during his 2 year stint thus far, .. i've never experienced or at least recalled an season - (even in the Jimmie Johnson era ) where our special teams has blocked two punts within one season.

Luke Gifford blocked a punt vs Pats ... and just very recently it was Malik Turner who blocked a punt (albeit controversial punt block recovery) ..so is Bones bringing something to the special teams unit that we haven't had in quite some time ?

i'd always wonder what kind of SP coach Bones could become if he cut out all the antics, and exotic free for all calls and plays that is ill advised or come at the worst timing and placement .. what if Bones just lines up and coaches flat out sound fundamental, discipline special teams ...
Good point.

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
I love what Fassel brings. That blocked punt could have changed the game if it didn’t touch one of our guys.

Hope Fassel keeps bringing it

RonWashington

Reaction score
Joe Avezzano was a good ST coach almost got the head job was between him and Campo supposedly .

I admit being critical of Fassel earlier in the year but the entire unit seems to be playing better .

cowboyec

Reaction score
i think so.
i was impatient with him.
wanting immediate results.
that was wrong.
when he came in,our spec teams unit was putrid.
we are much better now.
and theres still room for growth.

RonWashington

Reaction score
Doesn’t a ST player get Pro Bowl consideration ? CJ Goodwin deserves it the guy is constantly in on early tackles downfield before damage is done.

Tangle_Foot

Reaction score
Only one criticism, get the players to stop blocking in the back on returns. Even if it's not a great return, starting at the 10 and 15 yard lines just extends the yardage needed to get in scoring position.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Would be interesting

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I didn’t understand the hate last year to be honest. This special teams had some clunkers but that was largely because special teams essentially became an extension of the offense in 2020 and we were dependent upon that unit to continue drives.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Pros: 1 blocked punt, 1 near blocked punt. Good punter.

Cons: Up and down Kicker. Average coverage units. Penalties fly on almost every return, guys returning kicks they should down, huge penalties from over-aggression that extend drives

In short— he is a high-risk, high-reward coach. The occasional big play will shine, but man, the mistakes are killer when they happen

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Actually the NFL won't record Turner's play as a blocked punt anymore. It's now officially a muffed punt return by Nahshon Wright.

And anybody who watched the game knows how messed up the league's rulebook really is.

Cmac

Reaction score
Can excuse Nashon for not knowing the block punt rule, or simply forgetting the rule, in the heat of the moment......but no excuse for the ST Coach to be jumping up & down, and not knowing the rule.

Cowboyny

Reaction score

Our ST was the worst in the entire league prior to his arrival, now they are solid, which tells me he has done a terrific job. Yes, still room from improvement, but they aren't losing the ST battle on a week to week basis any longer.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I would be happy with zero blocked punts if it means also not incurring the penalties that they have.

I'm not a fan of being overly aggressive when you're the better team.

At least the fake punts seem to have gone away.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
I like aggressive football teams and Bones is an aggressive coach. Playing like that is not going to work out on every play.