Is Daniel Jones elite?

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Interesting to if they are ready to pay him ( $45M) or if he gets the tag but Barkley is also a free agent

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35456658/giants-laud-jones-victory

'We have an elite quarterback': Giants laud Jones after victory​

MINNEAPOLIS -- In his first career playoff game, Daniel Jones made history. It prompted his running back to label him "elite."

Jones became the first quarterback in NFL history to have 300 passing yards, two passing touchdowns and at least 70 rushing yards in a playoff game. He was undeniably dominant in his playoff debut, leading the New York Giants on a game-winning drive in the fourth quarter en route to a 31-24 win over the Minnesota Vikings.

It had running back Saquon Barkley convinced that Jones is already among the NFL's best.

"I know we have an elite quarterback," Barkley said. "He's shown that multiple times."

jwitten82

Reaction score
Lol nope, they'd be making a huge mistake if they sign h to a huge deal. Same as the Ravens with Lamar

BoyzBlaster

Reaction score
He played like it last night when it mattered most, on the road. You have to give him that at least. Let's see if he can keep it going.

jwitten82

Reaction score
He played like it last night when it mattered most, on the road. You have to give him that at least. Let's see if he can keep it going.
Yea, against the 3rd worst defense in the league, not impressed

Point-of-the-Star

Reaction score
No, not so far.

If you play as a team AND the QB plays pretty much mistake free while making plays consistently AND the D plays good ball while coaching puts together really sound game plans then an average team can win playoff games.

That's the story with the NYG yesterday. Obviously the Vikes are no juggernaut (as we saw when we visited them mid-season). Danny Dimes was good (yesterday) but he is not even close to elite. Joe Burrow is elite. Mahommies is elite. Allen is elite. The list gets short after this.

I'll say this too . . . Barkley is no mensa dude !

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Interesting to if they are ready to pay him ( $45M) or if he gets the tag but Barkley is also a free agent

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35456658/giants-laud-jones-victory

'We have an elite quarterback': Giants laud Jones after victory​

MINNEAPOLIS -- In his first career playoff game, Daniel Jones made history. It prompted his running back to label him "elite."

Jones became the first quarterback in NFL history to have 300 passing yards, two passing touchdowns and at least 70 rushing yards in a playoff game. He was undeniably dominant in his playoff debut, leading the New York Giants on a game-winning drive in the fourth quarter en route to a 31-24 win over the Minnesota Vikings.

It had running back Saquon Barkley convinced that Jones is already among the NFL's best.

"I know we have an elite quarterback," Barkley said. "He's shown that multiple times."
Sure he is...... :muttley:

BoyzBlaster

Reaction score
Yea, against the 3rd worst defense in the league, not impressed
That's all well and good, but it's still the playoffs, on the road, as an underdog, and he wasn't just good he was nearly perfect. Including salting the game away on that perfect clutch throw Slaton dropped. I'm not saying he's the 2nd coming of Unitas but give the guy some credit for god's sake.

Cwby41

Reaction score
Regardless of who they played he dominated all game. Have to give him that. People never seem to understand, you can never judge a QB with a bad OL the Giants OL has been a mess for years. He finally has a decent and improving OL and it shows. Less fumbles and Int and better throws. Also his running is a major weapon. That was a monster win for that team last night. Lets hope we can do the same tonight.

Flamma

Reaction score
I never thought he was a bad quarterback, just bad players around him, and usually due to a ton of injuries. But elite? That borders on comical. But I can understand why his teammates would say that.

Jones is a halfway decent to good QB. He's one of those guys you don't want to pay a ton of money for, but end up paying for a lack of a better choice.

BoyzBlaster

Reaction score
No, not so far.

If you play as a team AND the QB plays pretty much mistake free while making plays consistently AND the D plays good ball while coaching puts together really sound game plans then an average team can win playoff games.

That's the story with the NYG yesterday. Obviously the Vikes are no juggernaut (as we saw when we visited them mid-season). Danny Dimes was good (yesterday) but he is not even close to elite. Joe Burrow is elite. Mahommies is elite. Allen is elite. The list gets short after this.

I'll say this too . . . Barkley is no mensa dude !
I thought Barkley came off as very classy and a great team mate in his post game interview if that's what you are referring to?

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I never thought he was a bad quarterback, just bad players around him, and usually due to a ton of injuries. But elite? That borders on comical. But I can understand why his teammates would say that.

Jones is a halfway decent to good QB. He's one of those guys you don't want to pay a ton of money for, but end up paying for a lack of a better choice.
So you would tag him?

DUO_CORE

Reaction score
For me, elite QB's rise up in the face of adversity, seemingly putting the team on their backs to complete a must have drive when it matters most. Not to be confused with "one or two play wonders", they do it time and time again.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Jones has played well this season but to be honest he is on the same platform as Geno Smith. If the Giants are smart they will sign Jones to a short term contract (2yrs). I hope people realize that Minnesota was probably the worst team in the playoffs from the NFC. Saying that I believe the Giants can beat the Eagles.