Is Garrett getting a pass from the media?

AlterEgo

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it's either a very vocal minority or maybe it's the majority here but it seems this board doesn't "appreciate" JG's methods. I also read a lot about the cowboys and stream some Dallas radio stations but does it seem like JG is getting a pass from the media? I can't believe this team went 7 straight games without a win yet all I read about is Dez and Kraken, monkeys and the defense but I'm a firm believer that coaching matters and if you lose 7 straight with as much "talent" as this team has you should at least win 2-3 games without Romo.

Maybe I'm biased but it just seems like JG is getting a pass, although I'm not sure what good it would do for the media to bash him but for some reason I'd like some accountability. Am I wrong?

Zordon

Reaction score
No you're not wrong. I remember in 2010 when the team was collapsing, the Dallas media would go at it with Wade everyday during his PCs. They'd laugh at him, ask disrespectful questions, it was a lot more hostile than the crap they have now. Dallas media is so neutered now.

TommyBoy21

Reaction score
Of course Garrett deserves tons of blame. He's a total fraud of a head coach. But it's so much easier for the media to tee off on the low-hanging fruit that is Dez and Hardy than actually do an ounce of real research into the issues in Dallas.

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it's either a very vocal minority or maybe it's the majority here but it seems this board doesn't "appreciate" JG's methods. I also read a lot about the cowboys and stream some Dallas radio stations but does it seem like JG is getting a pass from the media? I can't believe this team went 7 straight games without a win yet all I read about is Dez and Kraken, monkeys and the defense but I'm a firm believer that coaching matters and if you lose 7 straight with as much "talent" as this team has you should at least win 2-3 games without Romo.

Maybe I'm biased but it just seems like JG is getting a pass, although I'm not sure what good it would do for the media to bash him but for some reason I'd like some accountability. Am I wrong?

If this team continues to lose with Romo coming back, you'll see them turn very quickly.

AlterEgo

Reaction score
It seems like JG's robot responses have rendered the media hopeless or something. Ask about a penalty and you get the "I don't want to talk about officiating" response. Ask about how you fix things and you get the "battle and fight" phrase. Apparently that jedi mind trick is working on the media.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
No you're not wrong. I remember in 2010 when the team was collapsing, the Dallas media would go at it with Wade everyday during his PCs. They'd laugh at him, ask disrespectful questions, it was a lot more hostile than the crap they have now. Dallas media is so neutered now.

Only because they knew Jerry had HIS guy in Garrett already on staff and Wade was just riding it out. Trust me, the media will not go after Garrett in the same manner. They know he still has Jerry's backing. You go after Garrett, you're essentially challenging the Jones family, which is a no-no it seems in Dallas media. Only Sturm to date has proven he has common football sense to raise legitimate questions about Garrett's coaching this season.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
They just criticized him on First Take. It's the only time I've heard any.

RS12

Reaction score
Maybe even Jerry is starting to notice a foul odor. He told ESPN "by law of averages they should have won a couple of the last seven games." Hmmm, you are getting warmer.

AlterEgo

Reaction score
They just criticized him on First Take. It's the only time I've heard any.

I'd prefer the local media to start asking some harder questions. I don't know why I subject myself to this but I listen to quite a few of JG's pressers and it's the most cordial event ever. At this point it just seems weird. I know it's a 2 way street and if the media goes too hard they could be cut out but really is JG giving out such great media nuggets to write stories? My only assumption is the media gets a gift card at the end of each presser with a thank you note.

FLCowboyFan

Hoping to be half the man Tom Landry was.
Reaction score
Terry Bradshaw called for them to fire JG. It's just the beginning of a ground swell if the team keeps losing.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've been surprised by how much support he appears to have, honestly. My guess is that the organization if firmly behind him and that that message is getting relayed pretty clearly to the local reporters and beat writers, and that's what's getting shared with us as a result. Most of that's probably because the staff is actually doing a fair job of keeping the lid on things in a difficult situation and the team probably thinks they still have the ingredients to be competitive with Tony back under center. With the rest of the NFCE losing almost as regularly as we're losing, it makes a lot of sense to try to keep the powder dry.

It also doesn't hurt that we're seeing so many execution problems and not a lot that's specific or easy to pin on the coaches. Read your own original post here. When the most concrete thing you've got is the string itself, that's not all that damning of the staff in particular. If there were a game or two in that stretch you could point to with just an awful play call or decision, that would be another story, entirely.

Either way, I'm glad to see the local talk shows not joining in on the blood in the water. So far, they've been right to do so. I'm not sure I've ever seen anything like the issues in Dallas this season. They're bizarre, and it's hard to pinpoint what's going on. At some point, it's inevitable that the blame goes on the coach if he doesn't figure it out. But no doubt, he's been given a wide berth to operate in so far.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Terry Bradshaw called for them to fire JG. It's just the beginning of a ground swell if the team keeps losing.

Terry's said things like this before. I don't think he's a huge fan of the intellectual approach to problem solving, in general.

FLCowboyFan

Hoping to be half the man Tom Landry was.
Reaction score
the point is this is the way the media works. One person says something and then others echo it until it is deafening

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
I think the LOCAL media gives him a pass. Here is the issue. The Garretts have been around the Cowboys a long time. By making him a HC in waiting years ago and then bringing him up, Jerry insulated himself from issues with coaching because people like Troy and others who played with JG will always have his back. Ex-coaches and people who know JG will always have his back because he is a "nice guy" or they remember coaching this outstanding young man. The problem is he isn't a good coach. Rich Kotite was a a great guy but he was a horrible Jets coach. Gary Kubiak isn't a good HC and Houston kept him for years of .500 ball because "the players like him and he's a good guy from around here." When I listen to the Ticket...which I love...they will talk about all things wrong with the Cowboys but JG or coaching always gets a pass because of injuries, etc. The guy was a nice, 90s Cowboy and Jerry knew this. Do you think if Frank Reich, an ex backup QB, was our coach, he'd be getting support? No. He isn't an ex Cowboy with ties.