Is Garrett getting a pass from the media?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think the LOCAL media gives him a pass. Here is the issue. The Garretts have been around the Cowboys a long time. By making him a HC in waiting years ago and then bringing him up, Jerry insulated himself from issues with coaching because people like Troy and others who played with JG will always have his back. Ex-coaches and people who know JG will always have his back because he is a "nice guy" or they remember coaching this outstanding young man. The problem is he isn't a good coach. Rich Kotite was a a great guy but he was a horrible Jets coach. Gary Kubiak isn't a good HC and Houston kept him for years of .500 ball because "the players like him and he's a good guy from around here." When I listen to the Ticket...which I love...they will talk about all things wrong with the Cowboys but JG or coaching always gets a pass because of injuries, etc. The guy was a nice, 90s Cowboy and Jerry knew this. Do you think if Frank Reich, an ex backup QB, was our coach, he'd be getting support? No. He isn't an ex Cowboy with ties.

Or, they support him because they're closer to what's going on and they actually think he's a really bright, organized coach who's doing a good job and that the bigger problems with the team are actually elsewhere. That's a possibility, too.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
Or, they support him because they're closer to what's going on and they actually think he's a really bright, organized coach who's doing a good job and that the bigger problems with the team are actually elsewhere. That's a possibility, too.

That's great and it could be true. But the results and the facts don't really show that.

When he was the OC there were all kinds of issues. He never got the blame, Wade did and Wade was out the door.

In his first 3 years when he botched time-outs, couldn't manage a game and basically single handedly lost games for us the excuse was "he is raw and he is dealing with retooling the roster." Heck even Jerry called him out on this.

He has one good year and then this year its injuries and badluck as excuses. Here is my problem with it. All the people who supported him used to say that he has power and "look at what he's doing with the roster." Well here we are years in and it looks like the roster wasn't so deep afterall and this coach who was an ex-QB coach can't get the right backup in here to win. In the meantime other coaches in the league are doing it with backups and below average QBs.

Again, your theory may be right, but I don't think a Troy Aikman is ever going to call out a JG. They're friends. He is going to be constantly insulated due to his 90s days and the "nice guy" syndrome. It's much easier to fire a guy like Jim Harbaugh, who is a red-*** vs firing a JG who is a super nice redhead.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's great and it could be true. But the results and the facts don't really show that.

When he was the OC there were all kinds of issues. He never got the blame, Wade did and Wade was out the door.

In his first 3 years when he botched time-outs, couldn't manage a game and basically single handedly lost games for us the excuse was "he is raw and he is dealing with retooling the roster." Heck even Jerry called him out on this.

He has one good year and then this year its injuries and badluck as excuses. Here is my problem with it. All the people who supported him used to say that he has power and "look at what he's doing with the roster." Well here we are years in and it looks like the roster wasn't so deep afterall and this coach who was an ex-QB coach can't get the right backup in here to win. In the meantime other coaches in the league are doing it with backups and below average QBs.

Again, your theory may be right, but I don't think a Troy Aikman is ever going to call out a JG. They're friends. He is going to be constantly insulated due to his 90s days and the "nice guy" syndrome. It's much easier to fire a guy like Jim Harbaugh, who is a red-*** vs firing a JG who is a super nice redhead.

He definitely had a lot to learn about clock management. And Linehan's straight up a more original play caller than JG is in my book, too.

A lot of the issues with JG under Wade are overblown. He always fielded competitive offenses.

I still think he's done a great job with the roster. I know that sounds silly given 0-7, and a big part of the issues have been with player execution. But, with the exception of the DL which is just not near as good as I expected it to be, we're still showing the signs of having a lot of talent. It's been a different set of mistakes or injuries or bounces or play calls that's beaten us each week. We're 0-7, but still have been somehow close to 6-1 or 5-2 during that stretch.

And I do think both Jimmy and Troy would be critical of the coach if they thought that were the issue in Dallas. I think they'd both do it in a veiled and respectful way, but both of those guys are fairly straight shooters. They've been critical of the team and of players they've liked before. It's more likely, in my opinion, that they do actually think he's a good coach. There's a lot of respect for Jason still in that locker room. Just listen to what the players actually said after that last game. It can't last forever, but it's been holding up so far after 7 losses in a row.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
He definitely had a lot to learn about clock management. And Linehan's straight up a more original play caller than JG is in my book, too.

A lot of the issues with JG under Wade are overblown. He always fielded competitive offenses.

I still think he's done a great job with the roster. I know that sounds silly given 0-7, and a big part of the issues have been with player execution. But, with the exception of the DL which is just not near as good as I expected it to be, we're still showing the signs of having a lot of talent. It's been a different set of mistakes or injuries or bounces or play calls that's beaten us each week. We're 0-7, but still have been somehow close to 6-1 or 5-2 during that stretch.

And I do think both Jimmy and Troy would be critical of the coach if they thought that were the issue in Dallas. I think they'd both do it in a veiled and respectful way, but both of those guys are fairly straight shooters. They've been critical of the team and of players they've liked before. It's more likely, in my opinion, that they do actually think he's a good coach. There's a lot of respect for Jason still in that locker room. Just listen to what the players actually said after that last game. It can't last forever, but it's been holding up so far after 7 losses in a row.

Again, you may be right. And last year I thought he had come around some but wanted to see it consistently for a few years. I think some old issues have reared their head this year with the injuries.

My fear is, like in Houston with Kubiak, you had the players for so long that when the results don't match after awhile, they start to quit or just it wears them down. I am also concerned about how we decided on backup QBs and RBs. We have a great yet aging starter at QB and our top RB left so I'm wondering why they weren't addressed in the draft over the years....could have had Carr vs Demarcus Lawrence. And I wonder what they saw with Weeden in the system for 2 years. I'd think JG had some thoughts on all of that.

Again, enjoy your posts and I see where you are coming from I just haven't been able to get the early stumbles out of my head and I think the media kind of glosses his coaching trajectory.

PAINFROMUKRAINE

Reaction score

How does anybody know if the players respect Garrett? Unless you are a player for the Cowboys, we will never know. He was hired to be a Head Coach and WIN A SUPER BOWL not to be respected by the players. Furthermore, why is Hardy always late to meetings and having Twitter chats with Jason every week. Out of respect for the HC, Hardy would have stopped the Twitter crap. Why does Beasley have time to Twitter right after a game as well. So much for listening to Garrett's Post Game Speeches.

AlterEgo

Reaction score
The next JG presser is coming up soon. Time for the media to ask him what he had for brunch. Can't wait!

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How does anybody know if the players respect Garrett? Unless you are a player for the Cowboys, we will never know. He was hired to be a Head Coach and WIN A SUPER BOWL not to be respected by the players. Furthermore, why is Hardy always late to meetings and having Twitter chats with Jason every week. Out of respect for the HC, Hardy would have stopped the Twitter crap. Why does Beasley have time to Twitter right after a game as well. So much for listening to Garrett's Post Game Speeches.

We'll never truly know. I'd suggest that the fact that they haven't turned on each other during the stretch and that they're still saying the same things in their post game interviews--and that what they're saying in those interviews are the same things Garrett's been trying to establish--says a lot. I don't recall which players it was, but they've even come out recently supporting the coaching staff. All-in-all, we've shown a fair amount of solidarity during a really dark stretch, and that comes from having a strong locker room.

Hardy's a different story, and I'm not exactly sure what's going on there. I'll wait to get more info on the reported lateness and absences before going too far on that one. Beasley's tweets....he's stupid for engaging, for sure, since he's bailing an ocean. Other than that, I'd say that means exactly nothing. He's frustrating, and letting himself been drawn into an argument with an idiot on the internet. We've all been there.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Again, you may be right. And last year I thought he had come around some but wanted to see it consistently for a few years. I think some old issues have reared their head this year with the injuries.

My fear is, like in Houston with Kubiak, you had the players for so long that when the results don't match after awhile, they start to quit or just it wears them down. I am also concerned about how we decided on backup QBs and RBs. We have a great yet aging starter at QB and our top RB left so I'm wondering why they weren't addressed in the draft over the years....could have had Carr vs Demarcus Lawrence. And I wonder what they saw with Weeden in the system for 2 years. I'd think JG had some thoughts on all of that.

Again, enjoy your posts and I see where you are coming from I just haven't been able to get the early stumbles out of my head and I think the media kind of glosses his coaching trajectory.

I worry about it, too, man. And Kubiak is a pretty good example. At the end of the day, you and I see things actually fairly similarly. I'm a little more hopeful, you're a little more skeptical with the current regime, but we're really not all that far off. And I appreciate that you conduct yourself in a discussion. Here's to me being right, and you being happy about it. :)

AlterEgo

Reaction score
We'll never truly know. I'd suggest that the fact that they haven't turned on each other during the stretch and that they're still saying the same things in their post game interviews--and that what they're saying in those interviews are the same things Garrett's been trying to establish--says a lot. I don't recall which players it was, but they've even come out recently supporting the coaching staff. All-in-all, we've shown a fair amount of solidarity during a really dark stretch, and that comes from having a strong locker room.

Hardy's a different story, and I'm not exactly sure what's going on there. I'll wait to get more info on the reported lateness and absences before going too far on that one. Beasley's tweets....he's stupid for engaging, for sure, since he's bailing an ocean. Other than that, I'd say that means exactly nothing. He's frustrating, and letting himself been drawn into an argument with an idiot on the internet. We've all been there.

I'm pretty sure you can always find a player that will always support the coaching staff. I'm sure Wade had his supporters and the standard reply is it's up to the players to execute. Now when you see the faceless quotes that start to question certain aspects of a coaching staff then they've lost the locker room. I will admit that JG seems to do a good job keeping the locker room together. I actually really want him to succeed but man it's frustrating watching this. I don't think 1 winning season is enough skins on the wall to deflect all the blame though.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm pretty sure you can always find a player that will always support the coaching staff. I'm sure Wade had his supporters and the standard reply is it's up to the players to execute. Now when you see the faceless quotes that start to question certain aspects of a coaching staff then they've lost the locker room. I will admit that JG seems to do a good job keeping the locker room together. I actually really want him to succeed but man it's frustrating watching this. I don't think 1 winning season is enough skins on the wall to deflect all the blame though.

That's what everyone always says. Some variation on the 'what do you expect them to say?' argument. From my experience, that's not exactly true. You can tell when they're dancing around the topic, at least most of the time. I'm sure some of the players will outright lie to support a coach for PC reasons. But the stories leak out. Just like we're hearing finally this week that there might be some discontent around Marinelli not making more adjustments.

But I agree with you, it's incredibly frustrating to watch. I wish I had a better explanation for what's going on, too. With the QB out, the margin for error is nil, and then we're making errors. Some of those are drops or dumb penalties or missed takeaways. Those all start out on the players, but after two months, at some point it does seep into what the coaches are doing. It's hard to know where that line is, exactly.

AlterEgo

Reaction score
That's what everyone always says. Some variation on the 'what do you expect them to say?' argument. From my experience, that's not exactly true. You can tell when they're dancing around the topic, at least most of the time. I'm sure some of the players will outright lie to support a coach for PC reasons. But the stories leak out. Just like we're hearing finally this week that there might be some discontent around Marinelli not making more adjustments.

But I agree with you, it's incredibly frustrating to watch. I wish I had a better explanation for what's going on, too. With the QB out, the margin for error is nil, and then we're making errors. Some of those are drops or dumb penalties or missed takeaways. Those all start out on the players, but after two months, at some point it does seep into what the coaches are doing. It's hard to know where that line is, exactly.

Let's just hope Romo coming back equals a win and winning cures all. I think it's deeper than that but I'll be glad to eat my words.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Let's just hope Romo coming back equals a win and winning cures all. I think it's deeper than that but I'll be glad to eat my words.

No matter what happens with Romo back, the problems haven't just been at the QB position. He might be enough to win some of these games going forward, as he might have been a difference maker in 5-6 of them during this awful stretch, but we' still have players and position groups that aren't performing at a high enough level to beat really good teams.