Is Garrett stuck in the 90s?

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He seems to be confusing MB3 with Emmitt, thus no one else gets a carry. Even when Felix was willing and able, he got maybe 3 touches a game. Even when he made the MOST of those touches, he still didn't get much playing time. Now Tashard Choice has a chance to show what he can do, right? Wrong. He didn't get one carry against the Bucs. Garrett needs to bring his running game philosophy into the 21st century and utilize more than one ball carrier per game. I'm not saying Choice will light it up, but we won't know if we don't try him. Plus, Barber could use a rest from time to time.

SixShooter

Reaction score
I agree. Garrett is still green as OCs go. He has a lot more to learn and grow as a coach. That's why I don't see how he can be the next Cowboys HC if a change is made after the end of the season. He needs more time developing his craft at the current level.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There's still hope if he wakes up and realizes he has probably the best set of weapons of any OC in the NFL. All he has to do is figure out how to use them all. I can't wait for Romo and Felix to come back.

Reaction score
Boyzmamacita;2380506 said:
He seems to be confusing MB3 with Emmitt, thus no one else gets a carry. Even when Felix was willing and able, he got maybe 3 touches a game. Even when he made the MOST of those touches, he still didn't get much playing time. Now Tashard Choice has a chance to show what he can do, right? Wrong. He didn't get one carry against the Bucs. Garrett needs to bring his running game philosophy into the 21st century and utilize more than one ball carrier per game. I'm not saying Choice will light it up, but we won't know if we don't try him. Plus, Barber could use a rest from time to time.

No.....

He is just stuck with page 1 of his playbook with 'delayed hand-off variations'.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
McCordsville Cowboy;2380572 said:
No.....

He is just stuck with page 1 of his playbook with 'delayed hand-off variations'.
:lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: Those plays tend to suck, no?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Garretts offense is one of the top offenses in the league in every category.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
CATCH17;2380612 said:
Garretts offense is one of the top offenses in the league in every category.
On paper, yes, but as someone who watches Dallas games closely, don't you see some areas he can improve in, like utilizing more than Barber in the running game? Nobody expects Jones or Choice to start, but we have already played 2 games where no RB touched the ball but Barber. It doesn't make sense.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Boyzmamacita;2380627 said:
On paper, yes, but as someone who watches Dallas games closely, don't you see some areas he can improve in, like utilizing more than Barber in the running game? Nobody expects Jones or Choice to start, but we have already played 2 games where no RB touched the ball but Barber. It doesn't make sense.

Yeah I definetely see some areas he could improve in but a lot of people Magnify the bad games and completely forget about the good games.

Garrett has put together some masterpieces.

He isnt the highest paid assistant for no reason. He could've easily been someones head coach this year.

You're never going to be completely happy with playcalling. Especially if you are a Cowboy fan.

But Garrett for the most part does a hell of a job and doesn't deserve the heat he is taking when he is getting results.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
He's definitely old school. At this point in the season with as many injuries as we have, we need to rotate a lot more players then just Barber..

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
When Romo gets back i'd love to see a 5 wide with Owens, Williams, Crayton, Miles, and Witten.

That would be sick and if you blitzed you would be screwed.

Just sayin....

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Sorry, I have to disagree.

Choice doesn't bring the added dimension of speed, etc. that Felix brought.

Will he be a good runner? Maybe, but when you were in a total meltdown and had to have a win against TB, there's no way you were going to take the ball out of MBIII's hands "just to see what the kid can do"...ridiculous.

Choice is a rookie, 3rd string RB who is now 2nd string. He'll get his chance if MBIII needs a break or gets dinged, but no way should he have gotten any of MBIII's carries in a close, must win game.

If we keep this NYG game close, he won't be getting any carries this Sunday either (unless MBIII has to be out of the game), but if we fall behind, Choice will probably get plenty of garbage carries to find out what he can do.

Bottom line....even if Choice wasn't an unproven rookie, why would we want to give him any of MBIII's carries? Is he a better receiver? Is he a better blocker? Does he know the offense better? Is he less likely to turn the ball over?

Choice is not considered a home run threat....so what if he's a solid NFL starting caliber RB (that's a stretch at this point), you don't take the ball out of the hands of your probowl RB who just showed he can take it on a long trip to the endzone with a little swing pass two weeks ago to put the ball in the hands of a rookie who was 3rd string.

That's like saying Bennett looked good in the preseason so we should pull Witten from time to time and see what Bennett can do in the passing game.

We ran MBIII 2-3 times in short yardage from the FB position with Choice in the game. I feel certain the first time we line up in that formation, the fake will be to MBIII with that little misdirection option flip to Choice...he'll get his chance, but not at the expense of your probowler.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
CowboyFan74;2380646 said:
He's definitely old school. At this point in the season with as many injuries as we have, we need to rotate a lot more players then just Barber..
Please don't use Barber and injuries in the same sentence.:( :D

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
wayne motley;2380697 said:
Sorry, I have to disagree.

Choice doesn't bring the added dimension of speed, etc. that Felix brought.

Will he be a good runner? Maybe, but when you were in a total meltdown and had to have a win against TB, there's no way you were going to take the ball out of MBIII's hands "just to see what the kid can do"...ridiculous.

Choice is a rookie, 3rd string RB who is now 2nd string. He'll get his chance if MBIII needs a break or gets dinged, but no way should he have gotten any of MBIII's carries in a close, must win game.

If we keep this NYG game close, he won't be getting any carries this Sunday either (unless MBIII has to be out of the game), but if we fall behind, Choice will probably get plenty of garbage carries to find out what he can do.

Bottom line....even if Choice wasn't an unproven rookie, why would we want to give him any of MBIII's carries? Is he a better receiver? Is he a better blocker? Does he know the offense better? Is he less likely to turn the ball over?

Choice is not considered a home run threat....so what if he's a solid NFL starting caliber RB (that's a stretch at this point), you don't take the ball out of the hands of your probowl RB who just showed he can take it on a long trip to the endzone with a little swing pass two weeks ago to put the ball in the hands of a rookie who was 3rd string.

That's like saying Bennett looked good in the preseason so we should pull Witten from time to time and see what Bennett can do in the passing game.

We ran MBIII 2-3 times in short yardage from the FB position with Choice in the game. I feel certain the first time we line up in that formation, the fake will be to MBIII with that little misdirection option flip to Choice...he'll get his chance, but not at the expense of your probowler.

Your Bennett analogy is bad because Bennett has in fact had opportunities and he has done the most with them. There's nothing wrong with spelling Barber from time to time. Every team does it. Even Philly gives carries to guys other than Westbrook at times. The last thing we need to do is lose Barber because we wore him out.

sweetness0986

Reaction score
The thing with our coaching staff is that I feel like EVERYONE else sees something and they are blind to it. Should Barber's carries be drastically cut? No. I do think it would be beneficial though for both Barber and our offense if we put Felix (when healthy) and Choice in for a few more plays. I LOVE Barber, but we are running the same plays over and over with him and defenses are getting used to it, resulted in him getting stuffed a lot. We need to change it up every once in a while. We can't be afraid to use all of our weapons.

MrMom

Reaction score
If NY can get the ball to Jacobs, Ward and Bradshaw I don't see how we can't get at least two guys involved. I've been harping on this for awhile. We need a better RB rotation.

Last year Garrett had no issues getting an inferior talent (Julius) a third or more of the carries, but he simply refuses, to this point in the season at least, in letting our talented rookies get involved in the flow of the game. This Bucs game is a prime example. With the way Johnson was throwing the ball there's on way he should've thrown the ball 33 times. Give Barber his 25 carries and 6 receptions, and let Choice get at least 5-10 carries.

It's frustrating.

parchy

Reaction score
SixShooter;2380525 said:
I agree. Garrett is still green as OCs go. He has a lot more to learn and grow as a coach. That's why I don't see how he can be the next Cowboys HC if a change is made after the end of the season. He needs more time developing his craft at the current level.

You either let him grow into his mistakes as our head coach or you let him go elsewhere and do it. I don't know about you, but I'm not willing to see him coach up another team while we sit and stew on "what if?" Could you even imagine him taking another team to the playoffs, or even the Super Bowl, while we're still stuck with man-boobs Wade?

Your choice, but I'm keeping him. Wade is what he is, we already know what this team looks like with him at the helm. It's good but not great, and at times awful. Garrett could very well be the next guy in line.

zeromaster

Reaction score
CATCH17;2380635 said:
Yeah I definetely see some areas he could improve in but a lot of people Magnify the bad games and completely forget about the good games.

Garrett has put together some masterpieces.

He isnt the highest paid assistant for no reason. He could've easily been someones head coach this year.

You're never going to be completely happy with playcalling. Especially if you are a Cowboy fan.

But Garrett for the most part does a hell of a job and doesn't deserve the heat he is taking when he is getting results.
The standings say 5-3 good for third place in a division this team was supposed to own. What masterpieces have there been this year, because it's all about what have you done for me lately in the new NFL?

Now I agree the rules change with Romo out, and Felix on the sideline, but there is not a lot of variety coming from the boy genius, and defenses are doing something about it. Don't get too caught up in the stats. They're fine for looking at where a team has been, but they don't guarantee much on where it may be going.

The Giants game will likely put Dallas at 3 games behind the lead with seven to play. It is not a lock that they will win out, and the wildcard will be an interesting race. In all probability 10-6 may be the most realistic scenario, because they haven't shown any sign of jelling yet, and some are expecting the bye week and the return of the wounded to work miracles.

Should they win and be one back, there are still road games at Washington, Pittsburgh, and Philly to take into account.

Time will tell.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Boyzmamacita;2380506 said:

Garrett is going Muck us up!!

MB3 will either be out with an injury or worn out by seasons' end.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
This offense will explode, and be just fine, once Romo and Felix and Kyle return from their injuries following the bye. Add Witten in there as well since he'll likely miss Sunday's game.

With a full strength offense going into the stretch run this offense will shine.