Is It About The QB? (Warning Long)

gbrittain

Reaction score
All right, I am going to ask you a series of questions answer them as quickly as you can.

Get ready…Name me your top 10 QBs in the NFL. Tick…Tick…Tick. Got them?

Of course there is no wrong answer here as it is a purely subjective question.

Odds are you probably said in no particular order: Peyton Manning, Daunte Culpepper, Tom Brady, Donovan McNabb, Brett Favre, Steve McNair, Michael Vick, Chad Pennington, Drew Brees, and Ben Roethlisberger.

Come on now, just because you don’t agree with a few of the names you have to admit it is probably pretty close.

Ok, good. Get ready for the next question. Who are the top 10 retired Hall of Fame or locks for Hall of Fame QBs since the Superbowl era? Time is ticking…

Again, odds are you probably mentioned most of these names: Joe Montana, John Elway, Dan Marino, Fran Tarkenton, Troy Aikman, Warren Moon, Jim Kelly, Steve Young, Roger Staubach, and Bob Griese.

I know, I know, take out so and so and put in Dan Fouts, Terry Bradshaw, or insert name here.

Don’t get hung up on the names ok.

Ready for another question? Name the 12 teams who are considered favorites to make it to the playoffs this year?

Lets see, you probably mentioned a good portion of the following teams: New England, New York Jets, Pittsburgh, Indianapolis, San Diego, and this is tough one here (Baltimore, Denver, Kansas City, Jacksonville) I will go with Baltimore…I think.

For the NFC you probably said: Philadelphia, Atlanta, Minnesota, Green Bay, Seattle, and again this is a tough one but I will say Carolina.

Sure, some the “favorites” will not pan out, but if you are putting money on it odds are for the most part that is where the money will go.

Now back to the first question. Top ten QB’s in game today. Out of those 10 it would be a safe bet to pencil in nine of them in the playoffs.

The exception would be Steve McNair. I would say that team and Steve McNair is at a crossroads. Not sure if Steve McNair has much more in the tank.

These top 10 QB’s in the game today have a total of 62 seasons worth of NFL football under their belt.

However, nine of those seasons they spent sitting on the bench as rookies or second year players. That puts them at 53 seasons of football experience as a group.

Curious about how many years they have been to the playoffs collectively? Try 35 playoff appearances. Throw in seven Superbowl appearances and four Superbowl wins.

How about the top ten retired Superbowl era HOF QB’s? Glad you asked. Out of those 10 QB’s they played in a collective 28 Superbowls winning 14 of them.

Only Warren Moon of the HOF QB’s mentioned did not play in a Superbowl.

I will not even get into how many playoff appearances that those HOF QB’s played in.

So what is the point? Here goes.

Teams do break the norm every now and then and slip up and have a good year or two.

However, the teams that have upper echelon QB’s are the ones who are consistent threats year in and year out.

Look at the two teams who are the standard by which all QB deficient teams strive to be: Tampa Bay and Baltimore.

Since 1999 Baltimore has had the # 2, 1, 4, 22, 4, and 6 rated defense in the NFL.

All in all Baltimore has had one Superbowl victory and three playoff appearances counting the Superbowl victory year.

Ingredient missing? Quarterback.

Tampa Bay is probably the best example of a team having success without a bona fide upper echelon QB.

They have had 5 playoff seasons since 1997 and one Superbowl victory. They have also had the # 3, 2, 3, 12, 6, 1, 5 and 5 rated defense since 1997.

Tampa Bay missed the playoffs with a # 2, 5, and 5 rated defense. I can’t help but wonder what Tampa Bay might have achieved with a top QB during this period.

I think the lesson here for Dallas Cowboy fans is that the Defense will come around with the new influx of young and veteran talent, Witten is star, and Julius Jones is on his way to stardom.

One day soon here the Right Tackle position will be fixed (I think).

The only thing remaining is the QB we can count on year in and year out. Maybe Drew Bledsoe will be that man for the next three to four years.

Just maybe it will be Henson or Romo. What is not in question is that until that position is settled we will not be consistent contenders.

Here is to one of the Dallas QB’s establishing himself as The Man.

Just two more trivia question.

Do you know how many QB’s have been selected #1 overall in the draft over the last eight years? Seven

Do you know who the frontrunner is for the #1 selection overall in the 2006 draft? Matt Leinart – QB.

It is about the QB.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
Good post about QBs, but I think seems like most here or at least some here are hung about being right about Which QB (Romo/Henson), is the answer, not really if QB is important. Its pretty much the extension of Quincy/Hutch fan battle saga, as Hostile noted. You see the same characters and same arguments with few changes here and there.

As much as BP is trying to say about Bus Driver, his version of Bus Driver is not Trent Dilfer or Brad Johnson. His version of Bus Driver is Tom Brady, IMO ( or Dallas Case, you could say Troy Aikman in past years).

Doomsday101

Reaction score
RCowboyFan said:
Good post about QBs, but I think seems like most here or at least some here are hung about being right about Which QB (Romo/Henson), is the answer, not really if QB is important. Its pretty much the extension of Quincy/Hutch fan battle saga, as Hostile noted. You see the same characters and same arguments with few changes here and there.

As much as BP is trying to say about Bus Driver, his version of Bus Driver is not Trent Dilfer or Brad Johnson. His version of Bus Driver is Tom Brady, IMO ( or Dallas Case, you could say Troy Aikman in past years).

I agree with you and find myself pulling for both guys. I refuse to get into this Henson hater or Romo hater BS.

Reaction score
Damned good post. It's no secret I think Henson is more likely to suceed than Romo. But to the best of my ability, I don't recall ever bashing Tony. I am 100% behind both of them, & whichever gives the Cowboys the best chance to win, is the guy I want in the #2 slot. In this we have to trust in BP's judgement. Like him or not, he's been coaching longer than many on this board have been alive & he sees these two up close and personal every day.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Excellent read gb.

I have on a couple of occasions expressed my favorite of the young QBs. In my opinion, it is imperative the future QB of the Cowboys is already on the roster, whether it be Henson or Romo. One of the two must be ready when called upon because that day may be sooner than we ever imagined.

gbrittain

Reaction score
Cbz40 said:
Excellent read gb.

I have on a couple of occasions expressed my favorite of the young QBs. In my opinion, it is imperative the future QB of the Cowboys is already on the roster, whether it be Henson or Romo. One of the two must be ready when called upon because that day may be sooner than we ever imagined.

First off, to those whe sent kudos my way thank you.

Cbz40, I hope you did not interpret my post as a chastisement of those who have expressed a favorite of the young QB's.

I'm all in favor of great QB debates! :D I just wish we had a great QB to eliminate the great debates!!! :cool:

I certainly have my favorite as well. I really hope Henson is the one simply because I believe he has the physical tools to be a really good QB in the NFL.

I like Romo, but I am not sure if he can be a #1 QB in this league. Just my opinion for what it is worth.

The two points I really wanted to make are: 1. Can we please stop this any QB will do mentality (Bus Driver). 2. Yes we have our favorites, but it does not matter as long as one of them steps up to be the man.

Hoov

Reaction score
Good read, but i still think an average QB can win SB with a good team. A good team makes an average QB look much better than he actually is ....Kurt Warner for example. Marino never won SB, will Manning ?

To win a championship you dont have to have players who are the best at their position, you just have to have solid players at each position and no glaring weaknesses, IMO. Id rather have a well balanced team on O and D, then have to win by scoring 30 plus points every time, even if your offense is capable of that.