Is It Better For The Cowboys If The Bucs Or Atlanta Win..Garcia out *Merge*

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
willia451;2490092 said:
You are absolutely correct. In everything you said. Atl winning forces us to beat the Giants tonight. If we don't, we are in deep do do. Looking at what's left, even if we win out against Bal and Philly, we probably don't go.

If we lose tonight and win our final two games, the only help we would need is ONE of the following two scenarios --

1. Atlanta loses one game (most likely at Minnesota next week)

OR

2. Tampa Bay loses one game (most likely vs. San Diego next week) AND either the Giants beat Minnesota in Week 17 or Chicago loses one more.

Based on how each team played today, I don't think it would take a miracle for Atlanta to lose at Minnesota next week.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;2490103 said:
Are you drunk?

tell me theo, why do we want TB or ATL to win the South?

we beat TB, we want that win to come into play, meaning we want them to keep dropping games

Randy White

Reaction score
theogt;2490071 said:
You don't understand. Two of the three of us (Dallas, Atlanta, and Tampa) will almost certainly be in the playoffs. .

What about Chicago ? but even if you count them out, the same way I'm counting the Eagles out, with Tampa bay winning today ( had they won ) it would have made our defeat of them moot because they would have been in great position to lock in one of the wild card spots with a better record than ours. That is unless you believe that San Diego and Oakland are great matchups on the road in Tampa against the Bucs.

Again, that would have left us, basically, fighting out for ONE last spot with Atlanta and Chicago.

I didn't know we currently own a tie-breaker over Atlanta ( providing we win tonight ). What tie-breaker over Atlanta do we currently own ?

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Randy White;2490128 said:
What about Chicago ? but even if you count them out, the same way I'm counting the Eagles out, with Tampa bay winning today ( had they won ) it would have made our defeat of them moot because they would have been in great position to lock in one of the wild card spots with a better record than ours. That is unless you believe that San Diego and Oakland are great matchups on the road in Tampa against the Bucs.

Again, that would have left us, basically, fighting out for ONE last spot with Atlanta and Chicago.

I didn't know we currently own a tie-breaker over Atlanta ( providing we win tonight ). What tie-breaker over Atlanta do we currently own ?

we have to win to hold the tie-breaker over ATL

at the end of the day, we want TB to be neck and neck with us so that our H2H advantage comes into play, that only happens if TB continues to lose

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2490102 said:
we don't want either TB or ATL to win the South

Whether one of them wins the South doesn't really matter. If we finish 10-6, all we care about is whether one of them loses at least one more game.

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
We'll probably lose two more and it won't matter what any of those other teams do, we'll be out.

:shatfan:

Randy White

Reaction score
AdamJT13;2490149 said:
Whether one of them wins the South doesn't really matter. If we finish 10-6, all we care about is whether one of them loses at least one more game.

I'm hoping, against big odds of course, that Tampa chokes in one of their last two games. I'm fairly confident that the Vikings are going to beat the Falcons, but if Tampa loses one of their last 2 games, our safety net is alot wider.

Of course, I'm typing this with the sick feeling that we just might choke ourselves down the stretch, which is not a big leap of imagination.

:starspin

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Randy White;2490128 said:

If we end up in a tiebreaker with Atlanta, it's a virtual certainty that we will win it.

We could win because of NFC record. The best they can do is tie.

If we tie for NFC record, it goes to record against common opponents. We could win that. The best they could so is tie.

If we tie in common opponents, it goes to strength of victory (the records of the teams you beat). Right now, we would have a huge lead in that. There are 22 games left that would decide the tiebreaker -- we would need one team to win, and they would need the other team to win. Of those 22 games, they would need their team to win 18 of them. We'd need only five. If the Patriots and Ravens hold on today, we'd need only three of the final 19 games to go out way -- and five of them would involve the Lions, Chiefs and Raiders losing.

So, basically, if we're in a tiebreaker with the Falcons, it would take a miracle for them to beat us.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
AdamJT13;2490111 said:
If we lose tonight and win our final two games, the only help we would need is ONE of the following two scenarios --

1. Atlanta loses one game (most likely at Minnesota next week)

OR

2. Tampa Bay loses one game (most likely vs. San Diego next week) AND either the Giants beat Minnesota in Week 17 or Chicago loses one more.

Based on how each team played today, I don't think it would take a miracle for Atlanta to lose at Minnesota next week.

So 10-6 probably gets us in over Atl or TB. Either one just needs to lose another game. TB plays at home the rest of the season so I don't see them losing. I agree that Atl will have trouble beating MN.

Can Carolina lose the division?

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
jobberone;2490191 said:
So 10-6 probably gets us in over Atl or TB. Either one just needs to lose another game.

If Atlanta doesn't lose one and Tampa Bay does (but only one), we'll still need either the Bears to lose one or the Giants to beat the Vikings.

Can Carolina lose the division?

Yes, they can finish 11-5 and not win the division. If the Panthers lose their last two and either the Falcons or Bucs (or both) win out, the Panthers would be a wild card.