Is It Better For The Cowboys If The Bucs Or Atlanta Win..Garcia out *Merge*

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
CATCH17;2488802 said:
Im tired of Atlanta lingering around so I hope Tampa just peaces them out today.

Knowing we have tie breakers over Tampa is good.

Assuming we win tonight, and I think we will, you want Atlanta to win and here's why.

There is a scenario that is not too unlikely which could playout. In fact as far as positive Cowboy scenarios go its most likely.

Atlanta beats TB and Minn
Eagles beat Cle and Wash
Cowboys beat NYG and Bal

If this plays out the Eagles would not only have to beat us week 17, they'd need Atlanta to lose at home to Stl.
Also consider the fact that the Atlanta game is at 1:00pm and the Dal game will almost certainly be moved to 4:15PM.

THIS SETS UP THE ABSOLUTE WORST CASE SCENARIO FOR THE EAGLES.
PLAYOFF ELIMINATION 15 MINS BEFORE YOU TAKE THE FIELD.
We saw this happen to the Cowboys in 2005. The life is sucked right out of you and there's nothing you can do about it! We would roll them by 30!

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
theogt;2488800 said:
Better for Tampa Bay to win, if we lose to the Giants.

Assuming we won the next two (Ravens and Eagles):

If Tampa wins, we'd only need Washington to lose one more game to get into the playoffs.

If Atlanta wins, we'd need both Washington and Tampa to lose one more game.

My brain hurts.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
sonnyboy;2488931 said:
Assuming we win tonight, and I think we will, you want Atlanta to win and here's why.

There is a scenario that is not too unlikely which could playout. In fact as far as positive Cowboy scenarios go its most likely.

Atlanta beats TB and Minn
Eagles beat Cle and Wash
Cowboys beat NYG and Bal

If this plays out the Eagles would not only have to beat us week 17, they'd need Atlanta to lose at home to Stl.
Also consider the fact that the Atlanta game is at 1:00pm and the Dal game will almost certainly be moved to 4:15PM.

THIS SETS UP THE ABSOLUTE WORST CASE SCENARIO FOR THE EAGLES.
PLAYOFF ELIMINATION 15 MINS BEFORE YOU TAKE THE FIELD.
We saw this happen to the Cowboys in 2005. The life is sucked right out of you and there's nothing you can do about it! We would roll them by 30!

I like this one a lot.

Randy White

Reaction score
Cowboysfan22;2489584 said:
It would be better if the bucs won because the Atlanta Falcons are tied with us.

I think it's the other way around.

We wanted Tampa to lose. That would put both of them at 9-5. The difference is that Atlanta has Minnesota ( away ) and St Louis ( home ) left on the schedule, while Tampa has San Diego and Oakland at home. Tampa has the edge on the schedule in this one and althought I'm rooting against them, I think they might win both.

However, I think Atlanta is going to lose to the Vikings next week, which will leave them with a 10-6 record ( they'll beat the Rams easily ) but a 6-5 conference record.

Tampa, providing they win their next two games, are going finish 11-5 with an 8-4 conference record. However, we beat Tampa head to head, which IS the #1 tie breaker:

TO BREAK A TIE FOR THE WILD-CARD TEAM

If it is necessary to break ties to determine the two Wild-Card clubs from each conference, the following steps will be taken.

1. If the tied clubs are from the same division, apply division tie breaker.
2. If the tied clubs are from different divisions, apply the following steps.

Two Clubs

1. Head-to-head, if applicable.
2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.

http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures

Now, we beat the Eagles and the Giants, but lose to Baltimore, and end up with the same record as Atlanta ( both 10-6 ), we'd get the spot because our conference record would be better ( 8-4 ) than Atlanta ( 7-5 ) and Chicago ( providing they too end up 10-6 ).

However, if Atlanta wins out, and Tampa Bay stumbles in one of their two games, we have the edge over Tampa in the first tie-breaker because we already beat them.

Bottom line, though, is that we need to win at the very least 2 out of our next 3 games ( preferably all 3 ) and if it's going to be only 2, let them be against the Giants and Eagles.

:starspin

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Randy White;2490008 said:
I think it's the other way around.

We wanted Tampa to lose. That would put both of them at 9-5. The difference is that Atlanta has Minnesota ( away ) and St Louis ( home ) left on the schedule, while Tampa has San Diego and Oakland at home. Tampa has the edge on the schedule in this one and althought I'm rooting against them, I think they might win both.

However, I think Atlanta is going to lose to the Vikings next week, which will leave them with a 10-6 record ( they'll beat the Rams easily ) but a 6-5 conference record.

Tampa, providing they win their next two games, are going finish 11-5 with an 8-4 conference record. However, we beat Tampa head to head, which IS the #1 tie breaker:
Based on everything you've said here, it would have been better for Atlanta to lose.

I just don't see how people can't understand this.

Randy White

Reaction score
theogt;2490016 said:
Based on everything you've said here, it would have been better for Atlanta to lose. I just don't see how people can't understand this.

No, and I'll tell you why. The #1 tiebreaker is head to head. We don't have head to head with either Atlanta or Chicago, but we do with Tampa. The league is a crazy league in that, just about anything CAN happen and when that's the case, you want the bird in hand.

If the Bucs would have won over the Falcons, they would have been 1 game ahead of us in the overall standings with two games left at home and, pretty much, secured one of the wildcard spot. That means we would have been fighting for the last spot of the playoffs with Atlanta and Chicago. Not impossible, but you never know.

This way, there are still TWO wildcard spots left and if we happen to stumble in one of our remaining 3 games, we'd still have a good shot at one of the spots.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Randy White;2490047 said:
No, and I'll tell you why. The #1 tiebreaker is head to head. We don't have head to head with either Atlanta or Chicago, but we do with Tampa. The league is a crazy league in that, just about anything CAN happen and when that's the case, you want the bird in hand.

If the Bucs would have won over the Falcons, they would have been 1 game ahead of us in the overall standings with two games left at home and, pretty much, secured one of the wildcard spot. That means we would have been fighting for the last spot of the playoffs with Atlanta and Chicago. Not impossible, but you never know.

This way, there are still TWO wildcard spots left and if we happen to stumble in one of our remaining 3 games, we'd still have a good shot at one of the spots.

You don't understand. Two of the three of us (Dallas, Atlanta, and Tampa) will almost certainly be in the playoffs. We don't need to beat both of them. We just need to beat one of them. We hold the tiebreaker over BOTH of them. But if Atlanta would have lost we would be tied with them (with us owning the tiebreaker) if we lose tonight and 1 game ahead of them if we win tonight.

Now, we're either tied with them both if we win and 1 game BEHIND them both if we lose.

So, essentially, if they'd lost, it wouldn't matter if we won or lost tonight. But since they won, it matters.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Randy White;2490047 said:

And apparently we own the tiebreaker over Atl. I do like MN's chance against them. That will be a tough road win for them. TB is deadly at home. They likely will not lose another game. Having the tiebreaker over both teams helps. But we still have the problem of both being 9-5. We aren't 9-5 yet. I would have like Atl being 8-6.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;2490016 said:
Based on everything you've said here, it would have been better for Atlanta to lose.

I just don't see how people can't understand this.

we want Carolina to win the South and for us to win out

so that we have the tiebreaker over both TB and ATL

TB's loss today helps that scenario

now we just have to take care of business

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2490079 said:
we want Carolina to win the South and for us to win out

so that we have the tiebreaker over both TB and ATL

TB's loss today helps that scenario

now we just have to take care of business
Carolina is completely irrelevant.

You're totally lost in this thing.

willia451

Reaction score
theogt;2490071 said:
You don't understand. Two of the three of us (Dallas, Atlanta, and Tampa) will almost certainly be in the playoffs. We don't need to beat both of them. We just need to beat one of them. We hold the tiebreaker over BOTH of them. But if Atlanta would have lost we would be tied with them (with us owning the tiebreaker) if we lose tonight and 1 game ahead of them if we win tonight.

Now, we're either tied with them both if we win and 1 game BEHIND them both if we lose.

So, essentially, if they'd lost, it wouldn't matter if we won or lost tonight. But since they won, it matters.
You are absolutely correct. In everything you said. Atl winning forces us to beat the Giants tonight. If we don't, we are in deep do do. Looking at what's left, even if we win out against Bal and Philly, we probably don't go.

Go Cowboys!!!

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
theogt;2490085 said:

They appear to have this one in hand. Can they lose the division with two losses.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;2490085 said:

we have a better chance of getting in before TB and ATL than we do Carolina

we hold the tiebreaker over TB

we take care of business, we hold the tiebreaker over ATL too

we don't want either TB or ATL to win the South