Is it possible our next coach was on the opposite sideline yesterday

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Why would Harbaugh look at this bus crash of a franchise and say to himself "Boy I can't WAIT to get up under the wheels of that..."

Money plays a large part in it. And often times when you get paid the big $$$$, that comes with feeling respected.

The Yorks were considered one of the biggest cheapskates in the NFL before Harbaugh was hired. And the consensus is that the Yorks only started to spend more money in order to get the new Levi's Stadium. The salary cap is such where there is a floor that you have to spend. So where can you cut costs? With the coaches salaries.

And I think the Niners were a larger mess when Harbaugh took them over than the Cowboys are now. They have some similarities in the Niners having a promising defensive unit that was young and the Cowboys having a strong offensive unit that is young. But, the Cowboys have gone 24-24 in the last 3 seasons while the Niners went 21-27 the 3 seasons prior to Harbaugh (and in an awful NFC West where the Seahawks went to the playoffs with a 7-9 record in 2010).

Plus, if the Cowboys end up with a horrible record...they will have a high draft pick.

Lastly, anybody can say what they want...but the rewards of being a Super Bowl head coach of the Cowboys are more plentiful than being the Super Bowl head coach anywhere else. Whether people like it or not, we are the most popular NFL team in the world and that draws sponsors.

And I think many people would think a failure in Dallas would probably blame Jerry for that (they always do). So, it's a situation where a coach like Harbaugh can win.

Oh...and no state income tax in Texas and lower taxes in general. There's a reason why Sean Payton still resides in Texas.

YR

Venger

Reaction score
Money plays a large part in it. And often times when you get paid the big $$$$, that comes with feeling respected.

There is no respect in being Jerreh's sideline puppet. How much respect does Ginger have around the league, I forget? Who's resume has been enhanced lately by being associated with this clown car ride?

And I think the Niners were a larger mess when Harbaugh took them over than the Cowboys are now.

Can't agree here, record != mess. First and foremost, they had a new GM. Let me know when our number pops up on that parade...

Plus, if the Cowboys end up with a horrible record...they will have a high draft pick.

Giving Jones a high draft pick is like leaving a loaded revolver out on a playground.

Lastly, anybody can say what they want...but the rewards of being a Super Bowl head coach of the Cowboys are more plentiful than being the Super Bowl head coach anywhere else.

Indeed it is, as can be attested to by Chan Gailey, Dave Campo, Bill Parcells, Wade Phillips, and the Princeton Gingernut... and whoever we get next year.

And I think many people would think a failure in Dallas would probably blame Jerry for that (they always do).

If he's holding the matches, he's probably responsible for the fire.

So, it's a situation where a coach like Harbaugh can win.

There is nothing that qualifies as a predicate for this statement... this situation exists at all times, so why haven't any of them "won"? Nobody looks back at Wade's tenure and thinks "man Wade's time here was full of WIN".

Oh...and no state income tax in Texas and lower taxes in general. There's a reason why Sean Payton still resides in Texas.

Marginal - most state income taxes rates are mid single digits, and as you remarked, there is no salary cap for coaches, I doubt a 5% difference makes tossing sand in the litter box that this franchise has devolved to attractive in any light.

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
I don't see Jim wanting to work with/for Jerry if he even leaves SF.

He will have multiple options; very well paying ones & he can pick & choose.

He will be one very sought after guy.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
There is no respect in being Jerreh's sideline puppet. How much respect does Ginger have around the league, I forget? Who's resume has been enhanced lately by being associated with this clown car ride?

Can't agree here, record != mess. First and foremost, they had a new GM. Let me know when our number pops up on that parade...

Giving Jones a high draft pick is like leaving a loaded revolver out on a playground.

Indeed it is, as can be attested to by Chan Gailey, Dave Campo, Bill Parcells, Wade Phillips, and the Princeton Gingernut... and whoever we get next year.

If he's holding the matches, he's probably responsible for the fire.

There is nothing that qualifies as a predicate for this statement... this situation exists at all times, so why haven't any of them "won"? Nobody looks back at Wade's tenure and thinks "man Wade's time here was full of WIN".

Marginal - most state income taxes rates are mid single digits, and as you remarked, there is no salary cap for coaches, I doubt a 5% difference makes tossing sand in the litter box that this franchise has devolved to attractive in any light.

Everybody and their mother said that Parcells would NEVER come and coach for Jerry Jones...and he ended up coaching for Jerry Jones. In fact, in a recent interview with Brandon Steiner where Steiner started off the question by saying that Jerry Jones was a 'insane owner', Parcells had to stop Steiner and say that he really enjoyed coaching for Jerry.

As far as the income taxes go...I live in Florida where there is no state income tax. Previously, I lived in NY, South Carolina and Georgia. And it makes a very nice difference for me and I make far less than John Harbaugh. And Harbaugh is living in California and in San Francisco where the taxes are outrageous.

I just feel that if the relationship between Harbaugh and the Niners falls thru, it would not surprise me in the least to see him sign with Dallas.

You have got to understand that these head coaches have sizeable egos themselves and often think they can win at any place in the NFL.

I wish Jerry would step down as GM as well, but I think we can EASILY sign a big name coach if Jerry wants to. It's not getting the coach to want to come to Dallas, it's about getting Jerry to want to get the coach.

YR

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
What are peoples' thoughts on picking up the defensive coordinator from San Fran or Seattle?

Anyone know any good coaches I can dream about us signing? I know more likely than not we'll either get more Garrett or more like him, but a guy can dream.

I'd be for either coordinator from Seattle. I think Bradley will have Jacksonville winning as soon as Bortles is up and running and gets some experience under his belt.

The offensive guy might be even better than the defensive one considering the job he's done with Wilson and the innovation he's shown. Not only could he come up with some ways to play to Tony's strengths, he'd probably also be good at choosing and breaking in a new QB.

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
I think Harbaughs age would put him more behind the eightball with Jerry morso than Parcells.
Jerry can say he hired Parcells to get the stadium but I say bull. Jerry knew he needed a hard nosed coach
but Parcells was more than Jerry bargained for. I don't think he could take it from a younger hard nosed coach.

But I bet Steven Jones could live with him.

BringBackThatOleTimeBoys

Reaction score
I used to think if Jerry could hire Parcells, he might do it again with a Jim Harbaugh.

Not only do I doubt that, but wish Parcells never came to Dallas.

Jerry was worried his new stadium would never be built - it was the only circumstance he was willing to tolerate a strong elite coach, and only then to get the stadium. Parcells had his least successful gig - Jerry did not entirely leave him alone...Jerry got TO over Big Bill's objections for instance.

If Parcells or anyone like him never came, Jerry's day of reckoning would come sooner.