Is it the OL or the coaching change of the OL

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
We brought in a new Offensive Line coach this summer, is this the problem per say, or is it something else? We seemed to have better success in previous seasons when it came to running the ball etc. I know MM had something to do with the offensive game plan etc, did he and his offensive coordinator change the blocking schemes? Please give your thoughts

Aven8

Reaction score
I think it’s a combo, but my biggest theory is TP has no power. He’s amazing in the open field but he’s not a pile mover. That’s why Dowdle does well when he comes in. I think Solari and Schotty have work to do

baltcowboy

Reaction score
We brought in a new Offensive Line coach this summer, is this the problem per se, or is it something else? We seemed to have better success in previous seasons when it came to running the ball etc. I know MM had something to do with the offensive game plan etc, did he and his offensive coordinator change the blocking schemes? Please give your thoughts
It’s hard to say but let’s be honest, Steele has been awful, the center won’t be resigning, and Martin is starting to look his age. Tyron literally being day to day hurts as well.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
It’s hard to say but let’s be honest, Steele has been awful, the center won’t be resigning, and Martin is starting to look his age. Tyron literally being day to day hurts as well.
Only bright spot is tyler!!! I agree with everything you said

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
I think it’s a combo, but my biggest theory is TP has no power. He’s amazing in the open field but he’s not a pile mover. That’s why Dowdle does well when he comes in. I think Solari and Schotty have work to do
Just watch him get the hand off and how he uses all his power going to the hole, he lowers his shoulder etc, I guess Zeke taught him this, but he looks for contact, and by the time there's time to do anything else, he's not big enough of a back to do anything else

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Yeah but Pollard looks decisive as well. He looks like he’s thinking before he hits holes and I’m not use to him doing that.

Aven8

Reaction score
Yeah but Pollard looks decisive as well. He looks like he’s thinking before he hits holes and I’m not use to him doing that.
Well he’s seeing what we’re seeing….no hole! His problem is he can’t break that first tackle. He’s good at avoiding them in the open field, but it’s tough inside. The Oline and run game is supposed to be Solari and Schotty’s thing and they aren’t getting it done. That’s why Mike is throwing the ball at will.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Well he’s seeing what we’re seeing….no hole! His problem is he can’t break that first tackle. He’s good at avoiding them in the open field, but it’s tough inside. The Oline and run game is supposed to be Solari and Schotty’s thing and they aren’t getting it done. That’s why Mike is throwing the ball at will.
Yeah but to me he’s running like Zeke did last year. I’m not putting it all on Pollard. I think there are a lack of holes but he’s not running the same IMO.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's called KM passing down field. MM wco.
It's no coincidence late in the game the running game opened up.

Our guys are getting hit behind the LOS because they use personnel groups to confuse our antiquated blocking system, as they move resources off the ball to cover mid passes, we look good.
We'll continue to look good against lesser defenses, hopefully we'll adjust before the big games arrive.

John813

Reaction score
Remember reading a good article on a certain site about the Dallas Cowboys and blocking

Teams don't just run one scheme for blocking.
There's 3 main run game profiles:
1. Outside Zone
2. Inside Zone
3. Man blocking

And then there's variations of the above.

Dallas used Outside zone schemes a lot since 2014. They ran it on average 14 times a game in 2014(44%). And this is just for run plays, so, they clearly used it a lot with Murray.

From 2020-2022 they ran Outside zone plays 402 times, inside 346 times and man 265 times. They ran outside zone 25% of the time in 2022.

Outside zone is the most used run blocking scheme in the NFL as of 2022. The scheme is to have the run go to the outside but the RB must make a read at times to see how the defensive line attacks and find an opening. Get the defense moving laterally.

Last year Dallas had a worse success rate at Outside zone plays than the NFL average. There's notes that once Steele went down last year the OZ blocking went to ****.
They were way below the average for pull lead and power on 1st/2nd down.

There was another note that stated a lot of the success with the O.Z. was with Murray and Zeke in their primes. Once Zeke slowed down, the success went down too. Pollard being used last year bumped it back up.

With zone running plays, there's no one hole the RB must hit. It's about them understanding what is in front of them and taking advantage of it.

I haven't really looked into this year and if the schemes are now more towards man/RB must hit the 1,3, 2, 4 gap.

Last edited:

Whyjerry

Reaction score
It’s a bunch of things:

Pollard is not 100 pct
Run scheme stinks
Shottenheimer is awful
Steele is not close to 100 pct
TB is awful and they MUST get a center that can actually move
Coaching staff has done a bad job
Smith is always hurt
Not featuring a power back
They refuse to run outside the tackles

Just a bunch of things going on

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
what is there to think about honestly? I call that the leveon Bell affect, get to the hole and make decisions, even though he did it well, it takes too much time for me, just hit it quick, you know about that right??