Is it time for divisional realignment (i.e. get out of the NFCE)?

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
That's a considerable exaggeration. We clearly would not be last place in every other division in the NFL, and there is no such thing as "perpetual". If there was the Bengals would not be in the Super Bowl, and the Patriots wouldn't have got eliminated early in the playoffs.

Well, maybe "perpetual last place" applies to the Lions ...

Yea let's be competitive with the mighty lions.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Also, let me just say something, if we went with more accurate divisions - Giants would most likely be there with the Patriots and that would INSTANTLY become a far more heated rivalry.

But in this switch, you'd also lose the Ravens and Steelers rivalry,

csirl

Reaction score
Cowboys have >>>>>>>>>more travel to the other NFCE teams and play in a different climate. This is a big disadvantage. Our natural home is NFC South with NO, TB and Atlanta.

The big rivalries with the other NFCE teams are because we're in the same division. Similar rivalries will develop in any division.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
I wish. It would be more fun being in the NFC South...swapping out Dallas and Carolina would make sense. But of course it's all about money so it will never happen. The NFL loves having the moneymaker Cowboys being relevant in the NY, Philly, and DC markets

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Cowboys have >>>>>>>>>more travel to the other NFCE teams and play in a different climate. This is a big disadvantage. Our natural home is NFC South with NO, TB and Atlanta.

The big rivalries with the other NFCE teams are because we're in the same division. Similar rivalries will develop in any division.

why would it all of a sudden be a big disadvantage?

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Watch the NFL think it's a good time for realignment....and stick us in the AFC West. 10 years of Herbert, Mahomes, Carr....

:laugh:

mattjames2010

Reaction score

Yeah, the rivalry stuff would eventually fade while others would pop up. Looking at it right now, I mentioned in my other post, more accurate divisions would have Giants and Pats face off twice a year while also still facing off with the Bills which is a renewed rivalry. Cowboys and Texans would also have some potential for the "battle for the state" thing, and we already have some history with the Cardinals. As I mentioned in my last post, you're not losing too much by changing up the divisions - the biggest loss, from the NFL perspective, would be the Baltimore and Steelers rivalry.

pancakeman

Reaction score
As far back as I can remember there were 3 divisions in each conference with 5 teams in each (total of 30 teams). The Browns got added in expansion and the AFC Central had an extra team for a year or two until the Houston Texans came along (maybe in 2001 or 2002) to make an even number of teams again and prompted realignment. Each conference ended up with 4 divisions and Seattle got assigned to the NFC. It seems like the NFL wants to keep things even. I could see a division having an extra team short term but I don't see it being a new normal. I don't ever remember there being an odd number of games so I imagine the NFL will go to 18 games as soon as possible to make that even.
I'm older than you! :) Divisions were uneven from the AFL-NFL merger in 1970 all the way to the addition of the Panthers and Jags in 1995. But I concede that was a long time ago, so guessing that the NFL prioritizes even divisions nowadays might well be correct.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yea let's be competitive with the mighty lions.
Clearly that's not what I said, and this comment doesn't make what you said any less inaccurate.

Last edited:

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Clearly that's not what I said, and this comment doesn't make what you said any less inaccurate.

Intelligent people know my post wasn't meant as a word for word literal statement.

Einstein

Reaction score
No. The same for the people that want to get rid of divisional winners the get a home game or just want the top 7 teams from each conference in the playoffs...

TheDuke

How 'Bout Dem Cowboys
Reaction score
The anointing of the Commanders got me thinking, now that there's unequivocally no more "Cowboys vs Indians" rivalry, why are we still in the NFCE?

Are our NFCE rivalries that strong anymore?

Are we in it for the Eastern US media markets (...I can actually buy that one).

What say you? At what point do the Cowboys swap, for instance, with Tampa Bay, Carolina, or Atlanta and go into the NFC South?

So your justification for staying in the nfc east was so you could have cowboys vs. Indians. I mean are you actually serious or just trolling?

Do you have any idea where the origins of us being in the nfc came from?

Are you a Johnny come lately ignorant fool?

Cattle_Rancher

Reaction score
I think should do away with all division just have NFC and AFC. Cowboys would play all NFC teams and a few AFC teams every year.

CowboyinMD

Reaction score
So your justification for staying in the nfc east was so you could have cowboys vs. Indians. I mean are you actually serious or just trolling?

Do you have any idea where the origins of us being in the nfc came from?

Are you a Johnny come lately ignorant fool?

No need for name calling. Check my profile page -- I've been here since 2012. Even longer if you count the previous forum.

And I've been a Cowboys fan since the late 70s.

And you??

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
I used to be a traditionalist but don’t care anymore. Yes, we need to be realigned.

DUO_CORE

Reaction score
If the moved our division over to the WNFC we'd still be the weakest division.

bewp7

Reaction score
fine with me

giants, comodes or whatever, and eagles need cowboys a lot more then cowboys need them

less crappy cold wether games and less travel is good to me

cowboys can form huge rivalry with any body