CFZ Is Jalen Moreno Cropper a Better Prospect Now than Tolbert was in 2022?

quickccc

Reaction score
The Dennis Houston thing to me was used as a reality check for Houston. Did he ever get reps after the first few weeks?
Houston was game activated to start the regular season, .... was Tolbert even game activated to start the season ?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Houston was game activated to start the regular season, .... was Tolbert even game activated to start the season ?
No he wasn’t. That’s what I’m saying. They didn’t activate him to later. I think I heard Bobby Belt speak on it. They were disappointed in Tolbert so sat him to start. He wasn’t grasping the playbook.

Toro9

Reaction score
Not even a little bit. He didn't play against a higher level of competition and he doesn't really have an NFL body.

Basically, you hope he becomes Cole Beasley.
And if he is Cole Beasley, check to see if he really likes football. I remember Cole almost quitting his rookie year. What a dip. Can't remember who talked him out of it. I wanna say Witt.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
And if he is Cole Beasley, check to see if he really likes football. I remember Cole almost quitting his rookie year. What a dip. Can't remember who talked him out of it. I wanna say Witt.
Cole has quit 3 times I can count. I don't respect it. Nevermind he acts like a ***. Very lucky Garrett was his coach because any other coach would've let him quit.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
No he wasn’t. That’s what I’m saying. They didn’t activate him to later. I think I heard Bobby Belt speak on it. They were disappointed in Tolbert so sat him to start. He wasn’t grasping the playbook.
They bragged early on that he's learned all three positions. But in reality they had him learn all three positions and he was overloaded - head was spinning. He says himself that he was thinking too much.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
They bragged early on that he's learned all three positions. But in reality they had him learn all three positions and he was overloaded - head was spinning. He says himself that he was thinking too much.
The problem with Tolbert, I think, is that thinking isn't really his thing. That could be a big deal. You can have all the talent in the world, but if there's nothing between your ears you will struggle at this level.

Don't get me wrong. I like the prospect. I just don't know if he can handle this game mentally, which is why I'm super stoked about Cropper.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
The problem with Tolbert, I think, is that thinking isn't really his thing. That could be a big deal. You can have all the talent in the world, but if there's nothing between your ears you will struggle at this level.

Don't get me wrong. I like the prospect. I just don't know if he can handle this game mentally, which is why I'm super stoked about Cropper.
It's a normal rookie thing. It would have been better/smarter if he just learned one position as a rookie.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I believe that’s exactly what it was. Because there’s no behavior issues. There’s no learning issues. Put too much on his plate. I can see it.

Mr_437

Reaction score
IMO, Cropper is a better prospect right now than Jalen Tolbert was in 2022. He's been playing much longer. If you listen to his interviews, Cropper says he's been dreaming of being an NFL player since he was 6. Tolbert didn't start playing football until he was a Jr. in HS.

Cropper has similar production at a higher level of competition and if you look at his body of work, he's just more NFL ready and has more NFL potential tracking the ball and moving around the line.

I have no idea how he didn't get drafted but I suspect his overall size is to blame. I can't wait to see him take the field. Cropper was my number one pet cat this year and we somehow landed him.

I still like Tolbert; just dont think his position is safe. I think it's even likely Cropper moves him down the depth chart or onto the PS.

Looking forward to seeing Jalen, Jalen and Jalen battle it out!

JMC has some good tape, and he looks like a NFL ready WR, idc if he was drafted or not. Tolbert should be better off this season, personally, I put him at X and leave him there behind Gallup.

CWR

Reaction score

No I think it may have been JG. Witt actually said get this trash outta here. I'm pretty sure he thought he was sawft, and a quitter. It's been awhile though so I could be off.

Toro9

Reaction score
No I think it may have been JG. Witt actually said get this trash outta here. I'm pretty sure he thought he was sawft, and a quitter. It's been awhile though so I could be off.
No, that seems right now that I think about it

Reactions: CWR

Proof

Reaction score
Yall expecting a 3rd round wr to be incredible in one season are out of your minds...he needs time to develop and it will likely be year 3 when he really comes into his own....can't give up on a player bc he struggled his rookie year
incredible? he had 2 receptions for the year! sone folks had high hopes for him sure, but the majority just wanted some production in amaris wake.

Jipper

Reaction score
incredible? he had 2 receptions for the year! sone folks had high hopes for him sure, but the majority just wanted some production in amaris wake.
The point is the expectations on a 3rd round wr were way overblown and too many people are giving up after barely a season...

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I agree with that. Still, it's concerning he couldn't grasp the playbook.
I don't know the answer nor am I trying to make excuses for him but I think you could overload a first round WR if you bring him in & feed all the positions to him at once. I mean WR play is about as nuanced as it gets in the NFL. I could certainly see a guy trying to "think" thru his steps, when to cut, how to read the defense, etc. rather than "flow" thru the things he has down pat.

If that's what happened it's another example of coaching failure in my opinion.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I agree with that. Still, it's concerning he couldn't grasp the playbook.
no too me,
looked as if many players including Gallup and Schultz at times and add in some of the others seemingly in the read option KM offense they were not in the right spots and ran too close of routes, wrong route, seem to not be on the same page as Dak and ill trust the qb knew the play ie read was correct more often and this caused the uptick in INTS along with the OL/ run game issues etc..ts was just off many games.

some players come from college systems that they play wide open sandlot ball like Manziel's type just go beat your man offense or they play the digits they know when they hear the play which route they run.

hopefully this year with MM changing the offense to a numbers system vs read option routes it will help the WRs who didnt fully grasp the old style...

i dont know who this kid is but i believe Tolbert will bounce back.