Is Jourdan Lewis going to be the odd man out?

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Two things are equally true:

1) He’s our best playmaker; and

2) He also was abused last season with regularity (watch the Bills and the last Commanders games specifically)

Opposing QBs completed 68.4% of their passes against him in 2018, 68.8% in 2019.

(2018/2019)
Byron Jones 52.5/53.1
Chido 56.8/59.8
Brown 62.5/60.0

Last edited:

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I just don't get the love for Lewis. He does make plays but he blows assignments and gives up plays, too. Go look at that last Eagles game (IIRC) where Greg Ward caught that huge pass down the right side to deep in Dallas territory, and it was because Lewis blew the call.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
I know that Lewis has been a fan favorite. He didn't have the "length" the last coaching staff was looking for. All the CB's we picked up and drafted this year all seem to have the same height and wingspan.

So, what ends up happening with Lewis? Does he remain a backup? Does he change positions? I don't love him...but I certainly don't hate him. I honestly thought he might be trade bait during the draft.

I'm just curious what the rest of you think will happen with Lewis going forward.
Highly doubt it considering he’s the only CB with some dawg in him. Always around the ball and actually tracks the football. He’s still my favorite CB until Trevon Diggs hopefully takes over as CB / S.

Wood

Reaction score
I know that Lewis has been a fan favorite. He didn't have the "length" the last coaching staff was looking for. All the CB's we picked up and drafted this year all seem to have the same height and wingspan.

So, what ends up happening with Lewis? Does he remain a backup? Does he change positions? I don't love him...but I certainly don't hate him. I honestly thought he might be trade bait during the draft.

I'm just curious what the rest of you think will happen with Lewis going forward.

Not only do I not think he is out....he might be only real CB on team to start season (until Diggs gets up to speed). Lewis has long arms for short guy and has more fight in him than any other DB on team. I think he starts.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Because wasn't a liability. And even if he was.....EVERYONE was a liability in the scheme last year. Just because Byron didn't get thrown doesn't mean he didn't suffer in the scheme either.

Translation: Nevermind the facts, I’m going to insert my reality.

817Gill

Reaction score
Two things are equally true:

1) He’s our best playmaker; and

2) He also was abused last season with regularity (watch the Bills and the last Commanders games specifically)

Opposing QBs completed 68.4% of their passes against him in 2018, 68.8% in 2019.

(2018/2019)
Byron Jones 52.5/53.1
Chido 56.8/59.8
Brown 62.5/60.0
Which makes him a perfect 4th corner. He’s opportunistic and instinctive but below average measurables (height, speed, length). Teams with strong slot WR’s will be able to complete passes on him, he might make a play here or there, but at the expense of receptions and 3rd down conversions.

I like JLew a lot as a package specific option who can be a weapon in specific matchups (Kamara in 2018). Not as a full time starter.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Ok? What does this have to do with what you replied to?

That, if you believe this guy, Dallas doesn't like J Lew. He was our worst CB & even with the new staff & coach we're looking to go in a different direction.

Look, I like his ball skills and he has had a few great plays for us, but: low passer ratings / completion % > a few ints.

Mr_437

Reaction score
One thing that a lot of who dislike #27 are missing is he's not a slot CB by trade. You guys listen to Todd McShay or look at his height and think he's supposed to be a slot...wrong.

Deniem Fowl Bird has a video on Chido from college, kudos for that, but sheesh he been on the team for 3 years and most commenters don't even know he was a slot CB. Now go look up JD and see where he played.

The secondary is different, it's not like Madden where you can just simply switch guys position and expect them to produce at a high level, there's nuance.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
That, if you believe this guy, Dallas doesn't like J Lew. He was our worst CB & even with the new staff & coach we're looking to go in a different direction.

Look, I like his ball skills and he has had a few great plays for us, but: low passer ratings / completion % > a few ints.
But you just posted comments from him saying they wanted "bigger and longer" at corner. I didn't see where they said they didn't like him because he was their worst corner.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Nevermind the facts? What facts? Funny how y'all pick and chose when y'all want to use "facts" in a argument.

The facts you choose to ignore tenderheart.

(2018/2019)
Byron Jones 52.5/53.1
Chido 56.8/59.8
Brown 62.5/60.0

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
But you just posted comments from him saying they wanted "bigger and longer" at corner. I didn't see where they said they didn't like him because he was their worst corner.

So you think that they would want to replace a corner on size alone?

quickccc

Reaction score
Lewis should be the slot CB covering its most like Edelman Beasley WR

- which means he'd get his azz whooped up again by the likes of an Edelman, Beasley and Steven Sims Jr. etc.

i like his ability to create INTs, He has the ball hawk skills to get the INT, he's also an excellent blitzer - but he will also give up too many plays in between.
He has a feisty battle mentality but he can't keep being dusted by the better slot guys in that slot role ..and he's not skilled enough for the outside speedsters. i really think he'd work best in a zone defense vs bump and run coverage.
But he's too much of a give and take CB.

He's a luxury as far as depth than he is an front runner neccessity imo. and i still don't think size measurables are the leading reasons
for this . i think it's how he plays- does he play bigger and faster than what his size suggests? is he easily turned in press coverages, how does he
handle speed ? how does he handle big WRs ? ..at the NFL level ?

And the fact that they have added two more ' highly invested ' CBs this past month (Diggs, Robinson) who will likely see time
as 3rd CBs and slot to gain some kind of experience this season as three DBs will be leading (departing?) into next year's FA period.
i just don't think Lewis is as valuable to the team as some Jordan Lewis supporters are.

o_O