Is Maliek Collins a Strength or Weakness for the Cowboys?

Cowboyny

Reaction score
hmm, that's not how I would prefer to edit the title but what the hay, ...

for the record, I thought Maliek was more of a rotation type vs being a full time starter, coming off the bench and nickel rush situations where he could be fresher and
could exert more energy and strength. I think he's just an average player and there's no need to extend long term contracts to just average players.
I think hes' one of several due free agents here that will be moving on to greener$ pastures

Time will tell if draftee Trysten Hill could eventually be a more suitable replacement, but all indications next year may not be time for him, with such very limited game experience.
For starters scrap the DL coaching staff and renew with a more qualified one
Team just hasn't had a legitimate 3T since the 1 yr of Jason Hatcher at the position. Time to move on from Collins

John813

Reaction score
I wouldn't keep him unless he took a Terrance Williams styled contract.

Seems like an average player overall.

InTheZone

Reaction score
we don't have interior defensive linemen and I'm not sure the last time we did.

slick325

Reaction score
But he’s also a good player to have. He’s not a star or a scrub.

Agreed. If they re-sign him as a backup player and at a backup players contract amount, I wouldn't be upset. Also wouldn't be upset if they don't offer him a contract and let him walk.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agreed. If they re-sign him as a backup player and at a backup players contract amount, I wouldn't be upset. Also wouldn't be upset if they don't offer him a contract and let him walk.
If they could put him in a rotation with a big body who plays on 1st down and short yardage situations, and rotate him in on passing downs, that would probably be a pretty good mix.

And frankly I don't think it would be terrible for him to be a starter IF he were paired in the middle with a truly strong player who can stuff the run and collapse the pocket.

quickccc

Reaction score
Me: I have no interest in Maliek as a full time starter period. He doesn't bring consistency and he's just not a impact difference maker in the interior.
Because he plays well in spurts and on occasions makes that splash play, that all the more tends to indicate he's more suited as a rotation, spot role player than a full time starter.
It's far too many full games apart that those splash plays finally come up.

He has adequate size at 310-ish, has very good get off and first step explosion and overall agility. Has increased his overall strength over the years.
But he continues to get wiped washed out of position in way in too many plays vs the run and he just doesn't show up enough as an every game starter.

Some team is gonna value and take more of a chance on him as a full time starter, and pay him significantly.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
What?

He's one of the best passrushing DTs in the NFL. Unequivocally a strength.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He isn't a difference maker or potential pro bowl player. But he is solid enough to offer a 2nd contract to because it shouldn't cost much to keep him. Would love to see what happens if he had a great DC working with him.

THIS ^ ^
Not a huge difference maker by himself, but if he had some surrounding talent and a defensive scheme and better coaching he could be a Russell Maryland type player.

Yes, an affordable 2nd contract I would be ok with. I wonder if they let him test the market though then see if they want to match, or get the comp pick.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Trysten Hill is the future!
I believe that Trysren is our the future

Teach him well and let him lead the way

Show him all the beauty he posses inside

Give him a sense of pride, to make it easier

Let Trysten's play out there, remind us all how things should be