Is Martavis Bryant inching closer to Cowboys debut after Jalen Tolbert's lousy Week 11?

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Martavious Bryant is either ready or he's not. The powers that be will see to it that whoever is best qualified to be the new guy will be the one to get the reps that might take this team to the next level. It's up to Jerry to listen to Will McClay and render the most deserving player active. At present, Jalen Brooks seems the most likely choice to get the reps to take this offense to the next level. He might well be given such a chance. I doubt Bryant is ready to assume such a promotion from being on the outside looking in. It's seems unlikely that he's ready yet after his 5 year layoff. It takes time to get back into the swing of things and time isn't likely on his side right now.

Last edited:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
What's the harm in giving him some run against the crumbling Commanders on Thanksgiving?

That begs the question of who should be made inactive at Bryant's expense? Rookie seventh-round pick Jalen Brooks, while impressive against the Giants in Week 10, is the obvious pick. He only played 16 snaps in Week 11, which was the fewest of the Cowboys' five active WRs.

Gallup has been better since his playing time was slashed after Week 9, but he still has seven games with 30 or fewer receiving yards. Tolbert, meanwhile, has just four catches for 14 yards in two games since he posted a 3-49-1 line against the Eagles.

At 6-foot-4 and 214 pounds with game-breaking speed, Bryant brings a unique physical profile to the Cowboys' WR room. Granted, he hasn't played in five years, but Washington's Swiss-cheese defense could be the perfect runway for Bryant to shake off the cobwebs.

https://thelandryhat.com/posts/is-m...-jalen-tolbert-week-11-nightmare-01hfs601gtqg
he has to show if he can play special teams if he is to make it on game day. until then. he is on PS. after 5 years out and just having joined three weeks ago, I venture to say he is not ready. he is not even in shape. so this ain't Yahoo fantasy football.

cowboyed

Reaction score
A lot has been made about the signing of wide receiver Martavis Bryant to the Dallas Cowboys' practice squad.

There appears to be a divide among fans and media about what the addition means for the team. On the one hand, Bryant has the size and speed to be a mismatch in the NFL. In fact, he's already been a mismatch in the league.

On the other hand, Bryant has been away from the NFL since 2018 and is now 31. Can he still contribute?

"Sky is the limit for me, man," Bryant told reporters on Wednesday. "I know I'm 31 but I'm still big, still fast, still want to play football."

Bryant added he's still moving at 22-23 miles per hour, which if true, could get him on the field alone. For context, the play with the fastest ball carrier of the 2023 season so far is Tyreek Hill at 22 miles per hour during a 64-yard catch in Week 5.

It will be interesting to see if he gets a chance to play before the season is over.
Ok, let him enter the Kentucky Derby, but in the NFL he still has to shed physical defenders, run timed routes and catch passes.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Honestly, I don't think they have any intention of playing him unless we lose one of our top 4-5 WRs. Tolbert and Brooks are 4 and 5. I don't think he's good enough to take snaps from Tolbert and maybe not Brooks. Keep in mind he's coming in off the streets, during the middle of the season and hasn't played in 4-5 years.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Hasn't played in NFL in 5 years and couldn't even make it in CFL. Yet his legend grows...

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Possibly the Eagles game.
Short week this game, still not e ought time for him to understand all the concepts of the playbook. Except they probably have some basic plays for him.

After today, then a week from now it is Seattle, the 10 days off. That should be enough time for him to be acclimated with the offense.
However since to will be such an important game, how comfortable will MM be calling plays for him, as well, Dak and his trust in him.

I would like to see him get some plays though. Would it be much different than last. years signing of TY Hilton.

shabazz

Reaction score
I would like to see him get some plays though. Would it be much different than last. years signing of TY Hilton.
I doubt it. In the few games TY played he was targeted about 3 times a game but the receptions did carry a pretty high average per catch.

Martavius may be an even better target with his height and strength to get better production in the red zone.

Could work out really well.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Too early to be talking about Bryant getting on the roster, the writer has to have some awareness about the situation. If you have a problem with Tolbert look for Brooks to get more snaps, and if JB doesn't play well then bring up the Bryant discussion. Heck, I rather see JMC before Bryant, but that's just me.

As a whole, I think the WR room is improving. I think MG is starting to come along, and Turp needs to be used more as a WR/RB. Jalen Brooks looks way more comfortable and free playing on the big stage as Tolbert looks tight. However, it's still time for both to breakout in a sense with their limited opportunities.

Havic

Reaction score
Jaylen Brooks is who we should be excited about.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I doubt it. In the few games TY played he was targeted about 3 times a game but the receptions did carry a pretty high average per catch.

Martavius may be an even better target with his height and strength to get better production in the red zone.

Could work out really well.
Agree, but I meant length of time to get in some plays, not talent wise. Also meant a late season addition help at WR in general.
But Hilton came to the 53 man roster right away, Bryant on PS. Which is why I said a few more game. Seattle would be a great game to get him some reps.

Praxit

Reaction score
....I understand the concept of not playing in FIVE years.

But football is not rocket science. You run the route, catch the ball and get some yards.

I know 31 is up there, but certainly not old. Im optimistic. ;)..

shabazz

Reaction score
....I understand the concept of not playing in FIVE years.

But football is not rocket science. You run the route, catch the ball and get some yards.

I know 31 is up there, but certainly not old. Im optimistic. ;)..
Agree. get him comfortable with just a handful of plays and let er rip.

Bagman

Reaction score
Next year? lol

There are 7 regular season games left, plus the playoffs. Plenty of time to get Martavis Bryant involved with the Offense.
I know right !? It's not like they're asking him to memorize the Bible or Koran. He's been in the league for years and knows how to run a route. Give him a small package of plays and get him on the field. You can't teach size and speed. He's a freak with the ball in his hands.

blueblood70

Reaction score
... or pick another player to place on IR ?

:huh:
not for him you don't,.., between him and lance not sure what irritation of late in the "they should play" posts. ughh,. here's the honest truth why they're not playing is because they're not ready to play and its already been tough enough finding extra targets for cooks and Gallup let alone those whining about Tolbert's and brooks lack of them.

let me key this place in on something. When you have superstar #1,

the spread it out philosophy seldom works or is needed, you feed your star than cooks, then Furgeson, then Gallup, and then right, we can stop there not much left.. sorry guys. Its fact and its the truth..

Lance and Bryant are emergency guys and if we must see either anytime son, something went wrong..

Last edited:

blueblood70

Reaction score
I know right !? It's not like they're asking him to memorize the Bible or Koran. He's been in the league for years and knows how to run a route. Give him a small package of plays and get him on the field. You can't teach size and speed. He's a freak with the ball in his hands.
Hes taking up spot on the roster and active game day for no reason other than fan curiosity, that's cute.,

sorry hes not worth that just yet.. too many other players who deserve more targets if anything's left outside of Lamb, cooks and Furgeson.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
At 6-foot-4 and 214 pounds with game-breaking speed, Bryant brings a unique physical profile to the Cowboys' WR room
Line him up in the backfield and give him the ball, don't care what he is considered positionally, just find a way to get the big guy involved.