Is Micah Parsons not sound in the coverage department?

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
✭ GO COWBOYS!!! ✭

ezgif-4-1d9447f8c6a0.gif

I'm not sure it'll quite go down that way but nice work. :muttley:

Jarntt

Reaction score
He is raw in coverage. Due to lack of experience. Wasn’t asked to do it a lot.

that being said. He has shown a lot of promise in coverage. Has the speed to cover RB’s and TE’s in man.

has the quickness to cover receivers in the short zones or that are dragging across the formation.

he had a few good coverage snaps in pre season. Including following a receiver across the middle in zone and closing the distance before the ball could get there.

I think we will see some mistakes and times he gets beat as he learns. But from a physical standpoint the ability to stay with guys and his explosiveness to cover ground in zone when the ball is in the air, are evident.

I would say that in obvious passing situations. He will be more valuable either rushing the passer or to spy QB’s.

I think about how many good “running” QB’s the league has now. Imagine a guy with Parsons size and speed spying QB’s like Lamar, Russell, Kyler, etc. I think he will be very useful in neutralizing that part of their game.
I think your first part is spot on. He isn't great in coverage right now for a few reasons but clearly has the skill set to do it and will get better. In the preseason he also lost his man when he was in zone and had the middle a couple of times and a guy snuck past him into a soft spot. But he'll learn a little. Most importantly like you stated he is going to be most valuable in obvious pass rush situations going after the QB. It's one of the first things we said when we drafted him and it sure looks like he is going to be a handful when he is rushing off the edge or blitzing. Can't wait to watch this guy in a real game tonight

NotForLong

Reaction score
He is raw in coverage. Due to lack of experience. Wasn’t asked to do it a lot.

that being said. He has shown a lot of promise in coverage. Has the speed to cover RB’s and TE’s in man.

has the quickness to cover receivers in the short zones or that are dragging across the formation.

he had a few good coverage snaps in pre season. Including following a receiver across the middle in zone and closing the distance before the ball could get there.

I think we will see some mistakes and times he gets beat as he learns. But from a physical standpoint the ability to stay with guys and his explosiveness to cover ground in zone when the ball is in the air, are evident.

I would say that in obvious passing situations. He will be more valuable either rushing the passer or to spy QB’s.

I think about how many good “running” QB’s the league has now. Imagine a guy with Parsons size and speed spying QB’s like Lamar, Russell, Kyler, etc. I think he will be very useful in neutralizing that part of their game.
This is the best evaluation

NotForLong

Reaction score
I think your first part is spot on. He isn't great in coverage right now for a few reasons but clearly has the skill set to do it and will get better. In the preseason he also lost his man when he was in zone and had the middle a couple of times and a guy snuck past him into a soft spot. But he'll learn a little. Most importantly like you stated he is going to be most valuable in obvious pass rush situations going after the QB. It's one of the first things we said when we drafted him and it sure looks like he is going to be a handful when he is rushing off the edge or blitzing. Can't wait to watch this guy in a real game tonight
Quinn will have him in position to excell

75boyz

Reaction score
Rob Gronkowski, Cameron Brate and OJ Howard are the TEs. Ronald Jones and Leonard Fournette are their top 2 RBs.

If Parsons draws coverage assignments against any of these players it will present a challenge.

How he answers that challenge will be on display but it is still to be determined at this point.

We'll see.

jmo

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I haven’t watched preseason at all, but based on the excitement in this forum regarding MP, I’m a little excited. I looked at some clips from college, but I didn’t see much as far as coverage skills are concerned. I read some criticisms that he’s not sound in this department.

based on what you’ve seen in preseason, is this a sound assessment? Was there even enough to see from this point specifically?

No. Those that say that don't know what they're talking about. Not only can he cover, he will be elite at it.

Micah pretty much can do anything on a football field.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
don't think it's been answered yet in his limited action. I also don't believe it's a strength of his, and one of the reasons Cox is getting a lot of love as well.

Cox is getting a lot of love to be the eventual Robin.

But Micah is Batman. Never forget it.

75boyz

Reaction score
No. Those that say that don't know what they're talking about. Not only can he cover, he will be elite at it.

Man...

We should try him out some at swing tackle and 1T.
Maybe even backup QB, lol

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
Parsons is good at every part of being a Linebacker Was the best choice The Cowboys could have made.

Aven8

Reaction score

Fact alert. He’s the game wrecker we’ve been pining for since we drafted Roy Williams.

conner01

Reaction score
He doesn’t have a lot of experience in coverage but is very athletic and can learn coverage skills

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He's athletic enough to cover - so with just that he'll probably be adequate.

I think his biggest weakness this year is going to be running himself out of position early. He's gonna be super aggressive, almost to a fault. Hopefully this gets better as the season progresses, but there is no doubt he's gonna be a factor in plenty of games.

Devin White wasn't great his first year - over ran a lot of plays - had some good moments but had plenty of bad ones too. I'd say he's a good comp of what to expect BUT Parsons is much bigger, with the same speed and quickness. That's what I can't wrap my head around. He could completely blow up all expectations and be a instant force starting tonight. Very excited to see what is in store for that young man.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
If he has two legs it should be an improvement
Your post brings back memories of a zoner who, years ago, posted that he had a pre-draft dream that the Cowboys drafted a one-legged Center and Jerry and Stephen were belly-bumping and high-fiving like they had just drafted the best player in a decade. It was a hilarious read.

Loso86

Reaction score
I haven’t watched preseason at all, but based on the excitement in this forum regarding MP, I’m a little excited. I looked at some clips from college, but I didn’t see much as far as coverage skills are concerned. I read some criticisms that he’s not sound in this department.

based on what you’ve seen in preseason, is this a sound assessment? Was there even enough to see from this point specifically?
9nly need him to cover if neccessary he's best what he is doing now