Is Micah Parsons the best rookie in Cowboys history?

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Uhhhh, wouldn't Everson Walls have to be a contender ??

If he had jumped on the pass to Clark he would win it hands down in my book.. but since he stood there and got posterized for all eternity.. I can't put him in there.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
You got the order messed up here. The Cowboys lost the Rams in '76 but then the Rams lost to the Vikings in the NFC championship.. And of course the Vikings got run over by Madden's Raiders in the Super Bowl..

My point is that Dallas was a very good team before Dorsett arrived...

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is really for the long time fans. I can only speak about mid 80's on.

Did we just witness the greatest rookie season in the history of the Dallas Cowboys? I can't think of one better over the last 40 years.

This needs to be adjusted for era obviously. Don't give me raw stats as the reason. It's a much different game today than it was then. I'm asking who was the best in their time not who put up the best overall numbers.

I need people who were around for the 60s and 70s to speak on this.

Is Micah the rookie King?

If so, double bicep flex in your face.

You’re not gonna want to hear it, but Dak’s 13-3 rookie season was pretty special as well. I think I would still give the nod to Parsons, but Prescott’s was pretty amazing as well.

Thomas82

Reaction score
Tony Dorsett

I still don't know how Tex Shramm took a team that was a contender to a number 1 overall pick to take him.

TD got them over the top on the late 70's. Should have won more Super Bowls if it wasn't for those damn Steelers and 49ers

The Seahawks had the No. 2 pick originally, and TD threatened to go to the CFL if they drafted him, so the Cowboys moved up to take him.

heir

Reaction score
Don't know if this was said and I know he was not on the level of Parsons and some of the others mentioned but Roy Williams was a beast his rookie year. People forget him because of how his career ended but rookie year I think he had a bunch of INTs 2 TDs and some where near 100 tackles. Just giving him an honorable mention to be a little outside the box.

guag

Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix 01
Reaction score
I haven’t seen one. At least not quite like this.

NFL wise I would probably compare him to Randy Moss as a rookie……freaks.

Edit- He’s the only reason I have confidence this Sunday and beyond. He’s that good.
Same, the comparison I like to make with Parsons is Moss. Simply because these two players are freaks who jump out at you on the screen, and did so from game one. Seeing those two play is like watching an adult playing a pee wee game. I can only speak for late 90s to present though.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
Didn't see him mentioned but Roy Williams was a killer his rookie season. Maybe not on Zeke or Micah's level but he deserves to be in the conversation.

Them

Reaction score
..I think Parsons is a stand alone rookie talent for the last few decades easily. There were other's ...I do remember in the mid 60's WR Bob Hayes took the league by storm in his rookie season. Yes Bullet Bod Hayes...He was so fast that NFL Defenses were forced to change how they covered...no lie!

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Zeke had a really great rookie season as well. His impact was HUGE. I’d probably have to go with him, but Parsons is right there.

Thomas82

Reaction score
UMM no he had under 1k was not that impressive his rookie year

i mean Zekes rookie year embarrassed ES.. so only having to use rookie seasons not careers is fair..so as rookie is MP the best ever? TBD

question left too much ambiguity to answer properly.

In Emmitt's defense, he was pretty much in the same situation Zeke is in now. He was in an offense that wasn't designed to fit him, with a pass-happy OC that didn't know how to use the running game. He also won OROY as part of an offense that was ranked last in the NFL.

jnday

Reaction score
Parsons may be one of the top three defensive players in the league as a rookie. He instantly improved the defense to a respectable level and he is only going to get better each season. Dak and Zeke had good rookie seasons ,but their success was dependent on the offensive line. Most QBs and RBs would have not

Thomas82

Reaction score
937 yards and 11 rushing tds, that's "not much"? The 937 yards was 10th in the league. The 11 rushing tds was tied for 5th in the league, the top back had only 14.

Can't agree with you at all...

And he did it in an offense that wasn't tailored to fit him.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
The OL and Zeke were the reason for the season.

You have to break the Pom Poms out if you can’t see that. Dak’s most likely out of the league if he starts his career in an environment that doesn’t have that supporting cast.

Zeke and Micah Parsons were our best rookies.

I’ll go Zeke over Parsons simply because we got the 1 seed with a 4th round rookie QB.
The last sentence really puts this piece of buffoonery over the top.

blueblood70

Reaction score
He wasn't given the opportunity until it was too late.
you mean how since Moore has taken over in 19 has not used Zeke as zeke? Zeke not getting the opportunity's ALL volume backs need to put up yards.. all the blame is on zeke and yet ES22 had nearly HALF his career averages under 4YPC. he got his yards getting it 25+ a game..zeke was averaging 5.1 ypc the first half of the season, gets no credit yet finished at 4.2 same as Henry and IF zeke got fed his 25 im betting he gets 95-100 YPG then all this nonsense can stop.

just a reminder its not always the players fault, look at the OL, oc ,and how they are used.

a reminder to all the haters.