Is Micah Parsons the best rookie in Cowboys history?

Aven8

Reaction score
I haven’t seen one. At least not quite like this.

NFL wise I would probably compare him to Randy Moss as a rookie……freaks.

Edit- He’s the only reason I have confidence this Sunday and beyond. He’s that good.

SFloridaCowboy

Reaction score
TOP IMPACTFUL ROOKIES

#1, Prophet Micah; heaven sent, no argument about the first position here
#2, Everson Walls, 1981, 11 INT's,
3. Tony Dorsett, impact player, took Boys to the next level and a Super Bowl victory
4. Zeke, best rookie RB output in team history; his 83 yard screen play TD against the Steelers, one of top 5 plays of all time
5. Emmit, he boosted the Boys to the next level
6. Zach Martin, instant Pro Bowl
7. T FRED, instant Pro Bowl
8. Terrence Newman, 4 INT's, gave respect to porous secondary
9. LVE, his 1st year was magical, 140 tackles
10. T SMITH, one year at RT showed us he would be stud at LT

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Good lord, if we are talking all-time rookie season, how can you NOT include Dak. What he did his rookie season as a 4th round pick at the most important position on the field is top 3, min. Think about it, he literally forced one of our greatest legends into retirement.
One of the best rookie campaigns for a QB of all time....anyone who doesn't think Dak was just as good or better is fooling themselves......

Scotman

Reaction score
Didn't see his rookie season but I imagine Bob Lilly improved the defense significantly his rookie year.
It was a little before my time, but I don't think Lilly was an all-pro or pro-bowl player until his second year. He really blossomed after he was moved from DE to tackle in his third off fourth year. As an aside, I used to get the opportunity to talk to his brother Larry when he would come in to our family's business. I never met Bob Lilly, but his brother was a big man himself. And super nice...like a really nice guy. I can't imagine Bob Lilly not being a pretty decent guy.

To answer the question, Dak's first year was crazy impressive. Still, there were some doubters. I don't think Micah has any doubters at all. Zach Martin was unbelievable as a rookie and so was Dorsett.

I think any opinion that includes Parsons, Martin or Dorsett can't be too far from the right answer.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
TOP IMPACTFUL ROOKIES

3. Tony Dorsett, impact player, took Boys to the next level and a Super Bowl victory
4. Zeke, best rookie RB output in team history; his 83 yard screen play TD against the Steelers, one of top 5 plays of all time

Dak??????

blueblood70

Reaction score
it will be decided Sunday. Its the biggest game of his life and we will see how he plays. theres a lot of others, so its up in the air

Hagman

Put Niland and Green in the ROH
Reaction score
This is a great question. In terms of the early guys, Bob Hayes deserves a shoutout.
In 1965 rookie Hayes played in 13 games, caught 46 passes for 1,003 yards and 12 touchdowns. His twelve tds led the league. This was back when the league played 14 games and defenses could brutalize receivers (IF they could catch him!)

He also returned 17 kicks for 450 yards and 12 punts for 153 yards.

I don't think that you can really compare players from different eras who played different positions, but I can't think of a more impactful rookie in the modern age than Micah.

He also may be the greatest rookie in terms of what his attitude brings to the country club atmosphere that's poisoned this team for 26 years.

Last edited:

blueblood70

Reaction score
Emmitt...
UMM no he had under 1k was not that impressive his rookie year

i mean Zekes rookie year embarrassed ES.. so only having to use rookie seasons not careers is fair..so as rookie is MP the best ever? TBD

question left too much ambiguity to answer properly.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Laugh if you want, but a rookie QB who moves the ball with 4ints is extremely valuable. A better player than Parsons? I dont think so....More valuable due to position? I can get that argument.

Plus 2016 Dak didnt have to be superman, he was able to do what he does when he is at his best. Spread the ball around, dont turn it over, and just worry about moving the chains. Mark Sanchez would not have had the Cowboys at 13 wins that year.

RS12

Reaction score
It was a little before my time, but I don't think Lilly was an all-pro or pro-bowl player until his second year. He really blossomed after he was moved from DE to tackle in his third off fourth year. As an aside, I used to get the opportunity to talk to his brother Larry when he would come in to our family's business. I never met Bob Lilly, but his brother was a big man himself. And super nice...like a really nice guy. I can't imagine Bob Lilly not being a pretty decent guy.

To answer the question, Dak's first year was crazy impressive. Still, there were some doubters. I don't think Micah has any doubters at all. Zach Martin was unbelievable as a rookie and so was Dorsett.

I think any opinion that includes Parsons, Martin or Dorsett can't be too far from the right answer.
1960 Cowboys first ever season 0-11-1. Lilly first season was 1961 and they improved to 4-11-1. Have to think he had a big hand in that considering they had a complete expansion roster the year before.

Reaction score
TOP IMPACTFUL ROOKIES

You can't make this list and not have Dak in there somewhere. He is at least in the top 3

Aven8

Reaction score
His last big game was the 2019 Cotton Bowl. That went pretty well for him!

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
Everson Walls got his 11 interceptions his rookie season, he was undrafted out of Grambling. If memory serves, he was the only rookie to ever break 10 interceptions in the Superbowl era. That would have to rank up there with Parsons.