Is now a good time to trade Bennett?

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Trading Bennett has been brought up plenty of times, and I never thought it was particular realistic simply because we had spent such a high pick on him, he's young and his potential is virtually untapped.

However.

This year we have pretty much only two good TE prospects in the draft, Kyle Rudolph (Notre Dame) and Luke Stocker (Tennessee). After those two, the talent drop off is noticeable.

In addition to this, Bennett's contract expires in 2012 at which point we will either have to resign him (and while it may be affordable, it won't be cheap) knowing full well Witten is going to probably retire a Cowboy or let him walk for nothing.

Of course John Phillips factors in here as well, he missed last year but before that showed a little something.

It seems to me that this really is the only time trading him actually seems practical, or am I way off base here?

JBS

Reaction score
I would be all for trading Bennett to move up from #9 in the draft...but as of right now, that isn't possible

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thought we could not trade players for picks right now but I have to say I am confused on that with all of the talk about the eagles possibly trading Kolb.:confused:

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;3885301 said:
Thought we could not trade players for picks right now but I have to say I am confused on that with all of the talk about the eagles possibly trading Kolb.:confused:

Perhaps there's a way to trade rights pending a CBA, you can't even sign the prospects until there's a CBA either.

GloryDaysRBack;3885298 said:
I would be all for trading Bennett to move up from #9 in the draft...but as of right now, that isn't possible

That's kind of what this led me to, trading Bennett to the Browns in place of a 3rd rounder (and perhaps tacking on our 7th, if necessary) to get Peterson.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I recommend the NFL do everything that the NFLPA doesn't want them to do. :muttley:

I've been against trading Bennett all along, but as of right now. It would be a good choice. I doubt he would remain a Cowboys after next season and the Cowboys still have Witten and Phillips.

RS12

Reaction score
This again? Monthly thread around here. No, Witten has alot of miles on him and gets constantly knicked up.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
RS12;3885356 said:
This again? Monthly thread around here. No, Witten has alot of miles on him and gets constantly knicked up.

there's always a handful of players that it seems on a weekly basis get traded for anything from a bucket of fresh milk to lord knows what.

madden has killed the reality of the NFL.

rash

Reaction score
No, I wouldn't. I have a feeling that if we trade him, he is going to tear it up where ever he goes. I would hate to see that happen; even if he doesn't reach his full potential here while sitting in Witten's shadows

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
RS12;3885356 said:

iceberg;3885364 said:
there's always a handful of players that it seems on a weekly basis get traded for anything from a bucket of fresh milk to lord knows what.

madden has killed the reality of the NFL.

You two are aware, I hope, that this is the "Draft Zone"?