Video: Is physicality the Cowboys top priority in the Draft - Shan & RJ

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I hope it is.

I feel like last year was an improvement in terms of defensive physicality that we've had on defense for a while.

Ditching Jaylon was a great addition by subtraction. I also thought we'd rid ourselves of LVE but that was fleeting.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
2 of the nastiest physically dominant OL in the draft:

Tyler Smith 6'6 330

Daniel Faalele 6'8 380

The most physically intimidating defensive players in the draft:

Jordan Davis 6'6 340 4.7

Leo Chenal 6'2 260 4.5

Troy Andersen 6'4 240 4.4

Channing Tindall 6'2 230 4.4

Sam Williams 6'4 255 4.5

Noah Elliss 6'4 360

stilltheguru

Reaction score

8:15 mark. Want to sure up the run d? Draft him. LVE couldn't make that play in even his rookie year that got hyped up. And no, the referenced play isn't Nakobe Dean.

morasp

Reaction score
One of my favorite lines

Kenyon Green

Overview
Guard prospect with NFL-ready frame who plays with an impressive level of consistency as a run blocker. Green moves defenders from Point A to Boint B against their will, using hand technique and road-grading leg drive. He possesses adequate foot quickness to operate in a variety of run schemes, but needs to eliminate his tendency to grab when his opponent is slipping away from the block. He has pop and anchor in pass protection, but lacks recognition and mirror technique needed to be at his best against athletic interior rushers. While green has some areas to improve, his run blocking can be dominant, which gives him a chance to become a good starter very quickly.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dan Quinn likely could have kept Greg Hardy in check.

Garrett couldn't handle those types. Charles Haley never would have lasted with Garrett as HC.

:hammer:

In fact, the man ran from conflict. And there’s video evidence. Fight or flight? Garrett chose flight.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

8:15 mark. Want to sure up the run d? Draft him. LVE couldn't make that play in even his rookie year that got hyped up. And no, the referenced play isn't Nakobe Dean.

Leo Chenal. Where do you think he gets drafted?

With regards to Dean:
I would not want to be a GM that bypasses Dean; however, I would not want to be the GM that drafts him on day 1.

If Deans falls to day 2 then it's an easy pick, IMO.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One of my favorite lines

Kenyon Green

Overview
Guard prospect with NFL-ready frame who plays with an impressive level of consistency as a run blocker. Green moves defenders from Point A to Boint B against their will, using hand technique and road-grading leg drive. He possesses adequate foot quickness to operate in a variety of run schemes, but needs to eliminate his tendency to grab when his opponent is slipping away from the block. He has pop and anchor in pass protection, but lacks recognition and mirror technique needed to be at his best against athletic interior rushers. While green has some areas to improve, his run blocking can be dominant, which gives him a chance to become a good starter very quickly.

Be careful what you wish for. We would all like to see a power mauling OG after years of finesse, but Connor Williams best games were against players like Aaron Donald because he could match up with quickness.
- It's a passing league in the modern era.
- A gap shooting uber quick DT can get to the QB much faster than a power DT pushing a finesse OG backwards.

I think Green will improve technique to handle quickness better but it is a concern.
- Ron Leary had a decent game vs JJ Watt back when Watt was still in his prime.
- Leary was physically limited in regards to quickness but developed technique/awareness to offset that limitation.
- Fans loved La'el at OG because he had highlight plays pancaking defenders, but his lack of technique/awareness resulted in many whiffs.

morasp

Reaction score
Be careful what you wish for. We would all like to see a power mauling OG after years of finesse, but Connor Williams best games were against players like Aaron Donald because he could match up with quickness.
- A gap shooting uber quick DT can get to the QB much faster than a power DT pushing a finesse OG backwards.

I think Green will improve technique to handle quickness better but it is a concern.
- Leary was physically limited in regards to quickness but developed technique/awareness to offset that limitation.
- Fans loved La'el at OG because he had highlight plays pancaking defenders, but his lack of technique/awareness resulted in many whiffs.
Yes, the write up mentions the need for recognition and better mirror technique in pass protection. That was also true with Travis Fredrick, I remember one game he got beat badly I think by Poe. Right after the game he said he needs to let the player come to him and I don't remember it happening after that. Green also played four different positions on the OL so maybe he didn't get to hone his LG skills as much as he would have liked.

Last edited:

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When they saw he was willing to sign for a refurbished PS5, they couldn't resist
LVE was actually playing really well late last season.
- I don't know how a neck injury impacts the ability to run, but he looks like Frankenstein early in the season but started to look more like his rookie self late in the season.

Fans that hate him last season overlooked the fact that Quinn played him as a stack-and-shed LB instead of run-and-hit like he played under Marinelli.
- Stack-and-shed is basically the equivalent of 2-gap for a DLineman.
- A stack-and-shed LB must give up some ground to blocks by OLinemen in order to avoid getting boxed out horizontally.
- LVE playing stack-and-shed (think 2-gap) allowed Parsons to play as a rover without rigidly defined gap assignments.
- By the end of the season LVE looked good in man coverage on TEs and also had some pass rush snaps from an outside alignment.
- They would have struggled without him because Neal had no chance to play stack-and-shed.
- Even is Jabril Cox had not been injured, he is not a stack-and-shed type either.
- Without LVE, they would have been forced to use Parsons in that role on run downs which would have limited his effectiveness.

When looking a LBs in the draft, remember that in Quinn's defense, there are 2 distinctly different LB positions in terms of the LB that plays with Parsons.
- Note: Quinn rarely even played 3 LBs unless Parsons was replacing a DE.
- As the Nakobe Dean video pointed out, Leo Chenal is a stack-and-shed type and Dean is the run-and-hit coverage type.
- Quinn might move Dean to SS on run downs and LB on passing downs.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes, the write up mentions the need for recognition and better mirror technique in pass protection. That was also true with Travis Fredrick, I remember one game he got beat badly I think by Poe. Right after the game he said he needs to let the player come to him and I don't remember it happening after that. Green also played four different positions on the OL so maybe he didn't get to hone his LG skills as much as he would have liked.
Yes, there was a game early in Frederick's career (probably Martin's rookie season) when both Frederick and Martin struggled with Poe.
- Poe when motivated and in decent physical condition, was a beast. Unfortunately, more often he was too fat and a bit lazy.
- Jordan Davis looks like a clone of Poe.
- The issue for Frederick/Martin vs Poe was power.
- Poe had enough quickness to prevent them from just going full short-yardage type full-power technique against him.
- Blocking Poe 'on the move' made it difficult to anchor.

Cowboyny

Reaction score

I think many of the issues in his pass protection can be hidden better inside. No doubt he needs some development as a pass protector, but has all the physical tools to do so. Will he work on getting better or become another Collins relying more on his athletic ability? Think they are similar players at this same juncture.

morasp

Reaction score
Yes, there was a game early in Frederick's career (probably Martin's rookie season) when both Frederick and Martin struggled with Poe.
- Poe when motivated and in decent physical condition, was a beast. Unfortunately, more often he was too fat and a bit lazy.
- Jordan Davis looks like a clone of Poe.
- The issue for Frederick/Martin vs Poe was power.
- Poe had enough quickness to prevent them from just going full short-yardage type full-power technique against him.
- Blocking Poe 'on the move' made it difficult to anchor.
It's been a while but on the play I'm thinking of Poe out quicked Frederick with a lateral move and went right around him. There wasn't really a bull rush pretty much a free run.