Is Pluto a Planet?

timb2

Reaction score
I was taught 9 planets in our Universe and Pluto was the 9th. Now they say Pluto is not. So what is your opinion? For me, Pluto is a planet and will always be.

jwitten82

Reaction score
I was taught 9 planets in our Universe and Pluto was the 9th. Now they say Pluto is not. So what is your opinion? For me, Pluto is a planet and will always be.
It use to be 9 planets in our solar system, but yea something about Pluto not meeting all the criteria to be considered a planet, so now we're at 8. I think Pluto is considered a dwarf planet now

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Pluto doesn't fit all the criteria to be considered a planet. It's been downgraded to "dwarf planet". A planet needs to clear its neighboring region of other objects, mostly by changing their trajectory throughout its orbit. Pluto doesn't do that.

I believe there are asteroids that are actually bigger than Pluto, but I may be misremembering.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Pluto doesn't fit all the criteria to be considered a planet. It's been downgraded to "dwarf planet". A planet needs to clear its neighboring region of other objects, mostly by changing their trajectory throughout its orbit. Pluto doesn't do that.
Yea but they changed the definition of a planet. What if the IAU changed it again in the future saying a planet has to have a solid core and the surface made up of rocks. Would you still consider Jupiter and Saturn a planet?

That’s where we are with Pluto. It got the short-end of the stick :muttley:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Yea but they changed the definition of a planet. What if the IAU changed it again in the future saying a planet has to have a solid core and the surface made up of rocks. Would you still consider Jupiter and Saturn a planet?

That’s where we are with Pluto. It got the short-end of the stick :muttley:
They didn't "change it", per se. They never really had any criteria until they decided to define it in 2006. Yeah, Pluto got it good, like it was a Dallas Cowboy and Neil deGrasse Tyson was the NFL commissioner!

Hardline

Reaction score
Pluto is a dog.

latest

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I guess it depends on your age. For most of us it was/is a planet.
I'm 59, and never grew attached enough to care that it's been reassessed. Though I shouldn't put it that way. They didn't decide on the definition with Pluto in mind (at least I don't think so), it just happened that once they had a definition of the word, Pluto didn't fit.