Is Potts really the next Calvin Johnson?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
No. He is not Calvin Johnson. I don't see Pitts lining up at X and scaring anyone. Pitts can be a really good TE. He might be a great TE. But he is a TE, albeit a modern F or H.

Here is the problem.

He’s fast, athletic, and has super long arms.

If you line him out wide there isn’t a lot of guys that will beat him to a ball that’s put up to where he can high point it.

On top of that.. The most important thing.. How does the opposing team match up.. Do they leave him 1 on 1 like most teams do when a TE is out wide?

Do they double him and allow a guy like Amari Cooper or CeeDee Lamb get a easy match up?

Do they back their defense off and hope for the best which would allow the Cowboys to run all over teams?

This guy would bring a world of problems to our opponents.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Pitts is super good, but Calvin Johnson at Georgia Tech was one of the scariest dudes I've ever seen. Look at these highlights... he was just an alien.

Kiper doubting the Calvin Johnson pick over Brady Quinn, lmao.

But is it really fair to ask if Pitts or any rookie is better than a first ballot Hall of Famer? That's setting expectations a little high.

Last edited:

McKDaddy

Reaction score
He’s fast, athletic, and has super long arms.
The catch radius might be the most dangerous attribute
This guy would bring a world of problems to our opponents.
But is he more valuable than 2 or 3 players who could fill weaknesses on our team? Even if he has a HOF career, does it change the competitiveness of our team? If we didn't have some TE's now that seem capable, I would lean toward taking Pitts (I am largely relying on everyone else's opinion that he is one of the top players in the draft & a generational talent). But since we do have functional TE's, I think I let someone offer me a trade and try to make my team better in other areas.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
The catch radius might be the most dangerous attribute

But is he more valuable than 2 or 3 players who could fill weaknesses on our team? Even if he has a HOF career, does it change the competitiveness of our team? If we didn't have some TE's now that seem capable, I would lean toward taking Pitts (I am largely relying on everyone else's opinion that he is one of the top players in the draft & a generational talent). But since we do have functional TE's, I think I let someone offer me a trade and try to make my team better in other areas.

We're looking at corners.. That's the problem.. They aren't going to make anything significantly better or worse.

The biggest impact player we could get for our defense is a guy can get to the QB and I believe that guy is Jaelen Phillips.

A corner is not going to do a thing. Especially if we play a conservative cover 3 defense 80% of the game.

The NFL is about impact players. I'll take Kyle Pitts all day because he could potentially change games and we need some of that.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
A corner is not going to do a thing

we have different viewpoints on this. taking away or making the throwing lanes tight is the quickest way to improve your pass defense IMO.

pass rushers success is more dependent on the situations they are put in than their individual talent. good offenses can scheme around pass rushers. a high end corner limits what the offense can do. good coverage across the board takes away a huge part of the offense.

also pass rushers are generally one of the slowest positions to become difference makers (think how long it took DLaw) and they have high failure rate in living up to draft status. take them later unless their is an obvious stud like Young. in this draft, i think even the top ones are 50\50 at best.

you need players at every level of your D, no doubt. at 10, I just wouldn't pass up a corner for any DL guy in this years draft.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
we have different viewpoints on this. taking away or making the throwing lanes tight is the quickest way to improve your pass defense IMO.

pass rushers success is more dependent on the situations they are put in than their individual talent. good offenses can scheme around pass rushers. a high end corner limits what the offense can do. good coverage across the board takes away a huge part of the offense.

also pass rushers are generally one of the slowest positions to become difference makers (think how long it took DLaw) and they have high failure rate in living up to draft status. take them later unless their is an obvious stud like Young. in this draft, i think even the top ones are 50\50 at best.

you need players at every level of your D, no doubt. at 10, I just wouldn't pass up a corner for any DL guy in this years draft.

It's not that I don't believe in good coverage.

IT's that the NFL has made the rules to where most corners are at such a disadvantage and it's made them very conservative and just allowing guys to play underneath them.

You don't need all world corners to play this way.

The biggest positive I see with drafting a corner high is financially because on the field it doesn't make sense.

They aren't shut down. They don't get tons of takeaways. They don't change games. They just shadow WR's and try not to give up big plays. That's a corners job in 2021.

DanA

Reaction score
It's not that I don't believe in good coverage.

IT's that the NFL has made the rules to where most corners are at such a disadvantage and it's made them very conservative and just allowing guys to play underneath them.

You don't need all world corners to play this way.

The biggest positive I see with drafting a corner high is financially because on the field it doesn't make sense.

They aren't shut down. They don't get tons of takeaways. They don't change games. They just shadow WR's and try not to give up big plays. That's a corners job in 2021.

There’s more than one way to skin a cat. New England showed the value of good DB’s, we saw it with the legion of boom and there’s been plenty of other modern day examples were a good secondary has made a difference. Don’t get me wrong, I’d run to the table for a Bosa, Chase Young, Aaron Donald or JJ Watt but I’m not reaching for a Qwity Paye and giving up a top talent in the process.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
There’s more than one way to skin a cat. New England showed the value of good DB’s, we saw it with the legion of boom and there’s been plenty of other modern day examples were a good secondary has made a difference. Don’t get me wrong, I’d run to the table for a Bosa, Chase Young, Aaron Donald or JJ Watt but I’m not reaching for a Qwity Paye and giving up a top talent in the process.

Jaelen Phillips, imo, is the best defensive player in this draft by a lot.

I don’t know what his Medicals are but his game film separates him from everyone.. He’s going to cause problems for offense.

A corner? We didn’t even like Byron Jones around here and he was one of the best in the league. Corners are set up to fail.

dwmyers

Reaction score
Pitts is super good, but Calvin Johnson at Georgia Tech was one of the scariest dudes I've ever seen. Look at these highlights... he was just an alien.

Kiper doubting the Calvin Johnson pick over Brady Quinn, lmao.

But is it really fair to ask if Pitts or any rookie is better than a first ballot Hall of Famer? That's setting expectations a little high.

Chan Gailey coached those Ga Tech teams and any game with Calvin was watchable.