Is the 2021 offense set up for a rookie QB?

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
NO! You can not talk about the 2021 offense without including Dak.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
OK, let's see if we can leave Prescott out of this thread and just discuss the comparison of the offense he stepped into in 2016 with little prep time and the offense of 2021.

The OL is not as good but with a healthy Collins and Big Smitty, it can be very close.

The run game is still good and I believe the 1-2 punch of Elliott/Pollard is a top 10 one and they might even add to that in this draft.

The WR corps is better than the one in 2016 with far better route runners, any rookie QB's best buddies. A WR that is where he is supposed to be is a gift but 3 of them? That's riches.

The TE's are good, not great. but with this WR corps, good is better than good.

The D is the ? with any QB but if they go the rookie QB route, the savings can be applied to a couple of first week's FA D guys to add immediate impact. New, and better, DC and healthy players and I like their chances. Especially in the East.

Add McC and Moore to the growth curve of a young QB and I like his chances. Not going to get a shot at Lawrence, Wilson, Fields and probably not Lance but Mac Jones, Kellen Mond or Kyle Trask? They played in power offenses with excellent skill positions and good OC's. Jones and Trask were late bloomers but Mond has been through trial by fire. 2 of the 3 should be there at 10 and possibly, all 3.

This is not about the draft but if you feel the offense is a setup for a rookie QB, which in the end is about addressing that defense, my ulterior motive. If this turns into a draft discussion, I will move it to that Zone.

And I think it's about the rookie, not keeping Dalton because I think he'll be too pricey for a backup. You take one with the idea that he's QB1 come September and you turn the team over to him and give him a better D than the last QB had.

The question is whether the defense is set up for a rookie and it's "no" at this point.

Big Ben and Wilson won SBs in year two (as did Tom Brady). None of them were charged with winning shootouts on a weekly basis, knowing any mistake is going to be points for the other team.

All three had solid defenses, allowing them to take care of the ball without asking the kid to go win the game. 20+ was usually enough, sometimes less. They weren't pressured into having to put up 35 every week.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
@CouchCoach Yes, the team can succeed with a rookie QB. The weapons are there for an experienced rookie or a vet like Dalton or Winston. Preferably both. Get Winston or Dalton and a rookie to learn for about 8-10 games like the Eagles did with Hurts.

Dalton or Winston as a vet with Pitts in the first and Mac Jones in the second round would be my ideal combination.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Well lets wait and see if they draft one. lol
I would like to have Henike from wash, he looked good in that tampa game.

Scotman

Reaction score
Our OL isn't close to what it once was. I'm afraid ANY rookie QB would be eaten alive back there.

fansince68

Reaction score
OK, let's see if we can leave Prescott out of this thread and just discuss the comparison of the offense he stepped into in 2016 with little prep time and the offense of 2021.

The OL is not as good but with a healthy Collins and Big Smitty, it can be very close.

The run game is still good and I believe the 1-2 punch of Elliott/Pollard is a top 10 one and they might even add to that in this draft.

The WR corps is better than the one in 2016 with far better route runners, any rookie QB's best buddies. A WR that is where he is supposed to be is a gift but 3 of them? That's riches.

The D is the ? with any QB but if they go the rookie QB route, the savings can be applied to a couple of first week's FA D guys to add immediate impact. New, and better, DC and healthy players and I like their chances. Especially in the East.

Add McC and Moore to the growth curve of a young QB and I like his chances. Not going to get a shot at Lawrence, Wilson, Fields and probably not Lance but Mac Jones, Kellen Mond or Kyle Trask? They played in power offenses with excellent skill positions and good OC's. Jones and Trask were late bloomers but Mond has been through trial by fire. 2 of the 3 should be there at 10 and possibly, all 3.

This is not about the draft but if you feel the offense is a setup for a rookie QB, which in the end is about addressing that defense, my ulterior motive. If this turns into a draft discussion, I will move it to that Zone.

And I think it's about the rookie, not keeping Dalton because I think he'll be too pricey for a backup. You take one with the idea that he's QB1 come September and you turn the team over to him and give him a better D than the last QB had.
If the line performs anything similar to last season, a rookie qb will get creamed.

FVSTONE

Reaction score

That's a big YES! The O-Line will bounce back this year and will protect and accept a rookie QB with open arms. While Dak goes to another team and get's his lunch handed to him.........but he''ll be able to buy a lot of lunches.....ha-haaaaa!

csirl

Reaction score
An early 1st rounder would be happy to come to Dallas. We can get further up the order by using our 2022 pick to trade up and get one of the top 3-4 QBs. Dallas is a better option for any of them than dumpsters like Jax or the Jets.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
If we really can't resolve the contract situation with our current QB1 then we have no choice but to draft a QB in round 1. The decision then is chuck them in at the deep end or sign a cheap vet to nurse them along. In either scenario we can't expect immediate success. To answer your question if this is a rookie friendly set up? God alone knows.

No they don't. Dak is staying.

GMO415

Reaction score
We were garbage without our starting QB and OL.