Is the Boxing training helping Micah?

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
As a DE yes to use your hands better, and to disengage better. His game is all based on speed, is this helpful? Would he be better scene focusing more on speed moves, and bend as a pass rusher?? Micah's game is his speed, I don't really see him use a bevy of pass rush moves, I'm not bashing Micah, i'm glad he's training etc! This is just a question, please give your thoughts!!!

Not bashing him (I'll say it again!)

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
There is plenty to bash Micah on but any sort of hand work is going to be a good thing. Forget speed vs power rushers, even speed guys need to make sure they are using their hands well to keep the OL off of them. Creating distance between the OL and DL is all about creating extension and that starts with both hand placement, and also understanding how to counter the OL hands.

Micah is great at using pure speed to get around the corner, and he also is really good at threatening to use that speed to get the T off balance and cut right back inside. If he really learns to use his hands more effectively he could take him to the next level. It's kind of like a baseball pitcher adding a change up to an already good fastball/curveball combo.

Plus the area where Micah has struggled at DE is in the run game. If he's going to stick at DE full time he's going to have to take on OTs that have 50lbs on him in more of a read and react method. The only way to really do that effectively is to play with proper pad level and hand placement on the OL. He can't just commit to a straight outside speed rush every play.

JJB500

Reaction score
It sure helped Erik Williams make Reggie White ***** up! It definitely helps with hand strength and speed! Basically almost any combat sport training will help him out.
Randy White was a beast and his martial art training played a large part, other than his natural speed and strength!

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
There is plenty to bash Micah on but any sort of hand work is going to be a good thing. Forget speed vs power rushers, even speed guys need to make sure they are using their hands well to keep the OL off of them. Creating distance between the OL and DL is all about creating extension and that starts with both hand placement, and also understanding how to counter the OL hands.

Micah is great at using pure speed to get around the corner, and he also is really good at threatening to use that speed to get the T off balance and cut right back inside. If he really learns to use his hands more effectively he could take him to the next level. It's kind of like a baseball pitcher adding a change up to an already good fastball/curveball combo.

Plus the area where Micah has struggled at DE is in the run game. If he's going to stick at DE full time he's going to have to take on OTs that have 50lbs on him in more of a read and react method. The only way to really do that effectively is to play with proper pad level and hand placement on the OL. He can't just commit to a straight outside speed rush every play.
Great write up on this!! Agree

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I'm sure it helps him...box. Rather he spent that time working on pass rush moves but I guess it won't hurt him.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
I'm sure it helps him...box. Rather he spent that time working on pass rush moves but I guess it won't hurt him.
I think that would be beneficial to his game, it's easy to just run up the field, but sometimes you go against a good OT and you need to put a move on him with your hands. The one play he made vs Atlanta that OT he used a great swim move or whatever it was to get past him, i'll never forget that

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
If there is one martial art that would help a lineman, it’s wrestling Greco.Roman style.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think that would be beneficial to his game, it's easy to just run up the field, but sometimes you go against a good OT and you need to put a move on him with your hands. The one play he made vs Atlanta that OT he used a great swim move or whatever it was to get past him, i'll never forget that
Can't hurt him. Those swim moves come from working on pass rush techniques not boxing. But lots of these guys try different things like boxing or martial arts to improve their hand work. Ellis was very into that. Just glad he's putting in work. I hope Zim lines him up as an olb in some 3-4 fronts. Feel that ls where he would dominate.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
As a DE yes to use your hands better, and to disengage better. His game is all based on speed, is this helpful? Would he be better scene focusing more on speed moves, and bend as a pass rusher?? Micah's game is his speed, I don't really see him use a bevy of pass rush moves, I'm not bashing Micah, i'm glad he's training etc! This is just a question, please give your thoughts!!!

Not bashing him (I'll say it again!)
Maybe some blows to the head will help us when he's negotiating his new contract ?

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Micah is around 250 pounds and is probably closer to 230 by the time the season ends. So the boxing helps him with his reaction time and with being able to use his hands to disengage from blockers, since he's not physically built to take on and power through a 330 pound offensive tackle.

At least that's how I interpret this.