Is the FO sick of Todd France?

cern

Reaction score
The agent's job is to get the best possible deal for his Client. The Player is also trying to get the best deal for himself after being a starter for a number years being paid way less than most starting QBs are paid.

The only Agent I can recall the cowboys having a real big issue was with the Poston(s) and that was when Bill Parcells was here and in part was why they passed up on Stephen Jackson.
they weren't exactly wild about tom condon.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I wonder if the owners talk about these agents. Sitting around smoking cigars and having drinks. “ hey I hear your awesome young player just hired France as his agent “. They all laugh at him.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My one and only Dak contract thread, since we don't have enough here. When will OTAs start!!!

Maybe the FO is just sick of Todd France. They know if they sign Dak to a shorter contract they will have to deal with this guy again soon. Somewhere in the back of my mind I think there were a few players in the past that were either FA, or players we didn't resign because the FO did not get along with the agent and just didn't want to work with them.

Could this be the case here?
I don't think for a second that the Cowboys want more than 4 years just because it gives them an extra year they don't have to deal with Dak's agent. Signing Dak is the priority, and Jerry could never had the financial success he has if he shied away from doing business with people that are hard to deal with.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
I don't think for a second that the Cowboys want more than 4 years just because it gives them an extra year they don't have to deal with Dak's agent. Signing Dak is the priority, and Jerry could never had the financial success he has if he shied away from doing business with people that are hard to deal with.
I bet there a lot of people out there that would tell us JERRY is the "hard to deal with" one.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Getting Prescott to the highest paid at his position, albeit temporarily, will be a bigger feather in his cap and be more of an attention getter for other athletes.

If the overriding priority is to become the highest paid QB they'll need to give on certain demands.

Dak is not going to get Mahomes money period. Unless he's instrumental in winning a SB.... "next man up" principal will be out of the window.

Its not just the Cowboys that are gambling.

Dak gets paid an average of $34m over the two Franchise Tags.

He's already making up for the lost $30m (approx.) for 2019.

Cannot refuse to sign the Franchise Tag - loses another $31m... what's his market going to be in the following year - certainly not highest paid QB.

What happens IF he has an off year or injury in 2020.... what if Mahomes is about to sign.

If he wants to be the highest paid QB he'll probably need to do it this year.

Kaiser

Reaction score
I bet there a lot of people out there that would tell us JERRY is the "hard to deal with" one.

Stephen is in charge of contracts now, like you saw with Dez, Zeke, Amari Cooper, etc.

The last time Jerry was in charge of contracts he did the deals with Tyrone Crawford, Brandon Carr, WR Roy Williams, etc.

Jerry isn't actively involved anymore, and the difference is striking.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score

For about a month and then he folds like a pack of cards (Amari and Zeke).

Or he goes to his trusted longer contract with deferred payments for flexibility ;)

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Doesn't matter whether they're tired of dealing with him or not, there are agents with reps that GM's don't like to have to deal with them, Condon and Rosenhaus come to mind.

France is going to get that with the GM's when he gets Prescott this deal and he could care less. Just watch the line to sign with him once he pulls this off. As long as he's listed as an agent in good standing with the NFL, he could care less what owners, GM's or fan bases care about him.

I do not get the backlash against Prescott in this at all and no, France isn't inside his head. They've discussed where their line is and what Prescott's part in this is and he's played it really well. He's doing exactly what anyone that believes in their agent, or their lawyer, does, take their advice. That doesn't mean they're being puppets either, Prescott has told France what he wants and France will get that for him.

Have you noticed that a different agent seems to get that "hard to deal with" tag every year and that just dissipates? We don't discuss Condon or Rosenhaus much anymore but they're still the same guys.

erod

Reaction score
To me, it appears that Dak/France simply don't want a deal right now. They want the franchise tag so they can do this again next year when the salaries are more escalated.

I'm perfectly fine with that.

aikemirv

Reaction score
There is no reason for either side to do anything but wait for the July 15 deadline to see if something changes the landscape.
Yep and honestly I don't really know why Jerry would feel the need to not let him play under the tag. He has gone all in on the team and the staff this year. If they can't win it all this year there really is no reason to believe they can win with Dak the next year or following. I don't know how big of a gambler Jerry is but the gamble is between what Dak is asking for now versus what Mahommes gets. That is the worst case scenario for him to wait. That may be a risk Jerry is willing to take. If Dak were to win a Super Bowl under the tag, Jerry wins big on revenues to cover the increase in salary!