Is there a spot for Martin Rucker?

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
I've really liked what Martin Rucker has done with the limited amount of reps he's given in the past few preseason games.

Is there a spot for him on the regualar season roster?

I think there could be a shot if the team decides to go four deep at TE and not carry any fullbacks.

Rucker's strength as it was in college is pass catching. Could he develop into a poor man's version of the Jet's Dustin Keller, or the Pat's Aaron Hernandez?

Woods

Reaction score
realtick;4063134 said:
I've really liked what Martin Rucker has done with the limited amount of reps he's given in the past few preseason games.

Is there a spot for him on the regualar season roster?

I think there could be a shot if the team decides to go four deep at TE and not carry any fullbacks.

Rucker's strength as it was in college is pass catching. Could he develop into a poor man's version of the Jet's Dustin Keller, or the Pat's Aaron Hernandez?

I've been wondering about this for about 2 weeks.

From what I can make out, the Cowboys aren't enthralled with any of their FBs.

I'd consider using Phillips as the FB/H-Back and keep Rucker.

Also, for goal line situations and/or short yardage situations, we could possibly use Nagy as a blocker. He played some blocking TE at Wisconsin.

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
Woods;4063154 said:
I've been wondering about this for about 2 weeks.

From what I can make out, the Cowboys aren't enthralled with any of their FBs.

I'd consider using Phillips as the FB/H-Back and keep Rucker.

Also, for goal line situations and/or short yardage situations, we could possibly use Nagy as a blocker. He played some blocking TE at Wisconsin.

I'd really like us to utilize Phillips as our H-back/fullback. That way he's on the field and getting useful reps. Phillips is a great lead blocker (he showed that his rookie season) and he seems really savvy.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think it is unlikely he will make it on the roster. That is one area where this team has depth.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
Honestly, it would not surprise me in the least to see both Choice and Bennett traded before the season starts. We can roll with phillips as #2 and rucker at #3 for sure.

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
When you look at players like Gronk, Chapas and Rucker, you have to ask yourself "what one thing are you good at?"

I don't think Gronk nor Chapas are particularily good blocker, pass catchers or special teamers.

I do think Rucker is a good receiver.

The point is, when you're looking at bottom-of-the-rung players, I think it's nice to say "hey, we can at least bank-out on this guy performing in this role."

Picksix

A Work in Progress
Reaction score
Cowboy4ever;4063164 said:
Honestly, it would not surprise me in the least to see both Choice and Bennett traded before the season starts. We can roll with phillips as #2 and rucker at #3 for sure.

The problem with trading those guys, is that they're both in the last year of their contracts, so you just won't get much for them (probably), unless a team has a huge need at RB or TE, and sees enough to give one of them a big extension.

I think they'll keep Choice, just because if Felix gets hurt, you have Miller and Tanner as your RB's. That's a little scary. Bennett probably isn't going anywhere either, because I don't think you get much for him.

In the end, I could see them keeping 4 TE's, 4 RB's, and no FB's.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
Picksix;4063177 said:
The problem with trading those guys, is that they're both in the last year of their contracts, so you just won't get much for them (probably), unless a team has a huge need at RB or TE, and sees enough to give one of them a big extension.

I think they'll keep Choice, just because if Felix gets hurt, you have Miller and Tanner as your RB's. That's a little scary. Bennett probably isn't going anywhere either, because I don't think you get much for him.

In the end, I could see them keeping 4 TE's, 4 RB's, and no FB's.

I see the point and i raise you: they are going to walk next year for nothing, so isn't anyting,say a 5th, better than nothing?

We have rolled with a vet and 2 rooks before, I think we can do it again with no problem at the RB spot. I don't see how we keep 4 TE. They will keep a 6th WR for ST play over a 4th TE imo.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Cowboy4ever;4063197 said:
I see the point and i raise you: they are going to walk next year for nothing, so isn't anyting,say a 5th, better than nothing?

We have rolled with a vet and 2 rooks before, I think we can do it again with no problem at the RB spot. I don't see how we keep 4 TE. They will keep a 6th WR for ST play over a 4th TE imo.

I agree. I don't see the Cowboys keeping 4 TE or 4 RB.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score

It would shock me to see Bennett traded. People underestimate his value to the club.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Don't think we need 4 TE's personally, and I don't think 'Tellus is going anywhere.

Stautner

Reaction score

This could be the best plan. The problem with trading Choice now is that we still haven't had the chance to learn anything about Murray. We are going to keep Murray regardless, but if we don't get to see him enough to get a true read on him, or there are concerns about his ability to stay healthy, the team may opt to keep Choice since he is more proven and experienced than Tanner. If Murray had been in camp the entire time and laid all those concerns to rest I could easily see us trading Choice and keeping Tanner.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
jobberone;4063235 said:
It would shock me to see Bennett traded. People underestimate his value to the club.

Where is this coming from? John Phillips can do everything Bennett does.

I would love to see Bennett moved and Rucker kept on the squad.