Is there an actual football reason Mike Nolan still has a job today?

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I'd wager a healthy sum that Edwards would get more out of these guys than Nolan. Granted, he wouldn't turn them into a great D or anything.

But some people appear to be generally surprised by Nolan here. But if you paid attention to his recent run as DC and what people around the Falcons, for example, were saying............ this should surprise zero people.

He was a horrendous hire. It's so bad that it may sink McCarthy before he even gets started in Dallas, that's how awful a hire it was.
I never liked the hire but fans think it's as easy as a change at this point. Nolan is par at best, but the talent level we have is just awful.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Have you ever seen a DC fired in his first year on the job, much less 6 games in? I doubt it.
Most GMs, and especially this year with no preseason, are going to look for improvement in year 1, and unless there’s someone great available, he will be given a second year with some other players.

That said, I’m confused by the subtractions of players we let walk away for those wonderful compensation picks versus the defensive additions. We let Byron Jones and Jeff Heath walk, and replaced them with defensive linemen.

We all wanted creativity, more disguise, more blitzing, but every successful defense begins with a sound base that the players fit and can play well. Then you add on the fancy stuff, but you need a sound base to fall back on when needed. Nolan has not developed a sound base where the front seven can hold up and where the secondary knows their responsibilities.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
I agree. And I think this is the time for McCarthy and Jerry to meet on the DL to see what the plan is if they don’t stop surrendering 40 points a week.

yep, there is no excuse/reason to be this bad. Either the scheme is bad, the players are dumb or the players are bad (or all three).

kwcool619

Reaction score
we want Jerry to allow his coaches free reign and not to interfere, but then he gets blame when he does? How is that fair?

A fair question. I will answer.

I personally believe that the buck starts and stops with the owner or CEO of an organization. He or she rightfully deserves credit for the successes and the blame when things go south. All the decisions that are made affects everyone from the top down.

I hope Jerry is allowing Big Mike free reign. Jerry probably asked Big Mike how Mike Nolan would fit on this team. The next question could have been, "Is Mike Nolan a proven winner? How can he help this team win with his track record?"

Jerry interfering: A lot of my family are Raiders fans, including my younger brother. They've all said in one way or another: 'Jerry is doing the same exact thing as Al Davis did. Nothing is gonna change until he's no longer the owner.'
My younger bro called this when Parcels left.

Majic

Reaction score
I'd wager a healthy sum that Edwards would get more out of these guys than Nolan. Granted, he wouldn't turn them into a great D or anything.

But some people appear to be generally surprised by Nolan here. But if you paid attention to his recent run as DC and what people around the Falcons, for example, were saying............ this should surprise zero people.

He was a horrendous hire. It's so bad that it may sink McCarthy before he even gets started in Dallas, that's how awful a hire it was.

If Nolan goes McCarthy will go. I doubt anyone could improve this DEF substantially.

cern

Reaction score
the head coach is responsible for his coordinators and assistant coaches. the hc coach needs to get a pair and fire the dc. and he needs to do it quickly, as in today.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is a MM thing.
As others have stated. We would rip on Jerry for Hiring coaches for other HCs. This time he let MM get the guys he wanted.
Nolan gave MM a chance back when he was a HC and now MM has returned the favor.

MM needs to make the hard decision and make a change after the season. Either Nolan gets things going, and he does not seem to have a history of it, or he is let go and someone else is brought in or takes over.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Nolan kept fat Mikey company in mommies basement when they were unemployed. No way fat Mikey dumps his best bud.

Redline360

Reaction score
Jerry must be the best boss ever. You can be completely useless at your job and still not be fired or held accountable.

Oh wait sounds like people in my office...

Colombiacowboy

Reaction score
The Cowboys defense is a joke. Did they apply any pressure last night? Was there even a blitz? This is probably the worst defense I have ever seen as a fan, and this includes the gloom and doom of 1989.

Aven8

Reaction score
This is a MM thing.
As others have stated. We would rip on Jerry for Hiring coaches for other HCs. This time he let MM get the guys he wanted.
Nolan gave MM a chance back when he was a HC and now MM has returned the favor.

MM needs to make the hard decision and make a change after the season. Either Nolan gets things going, and he does not seem to have a history of it, or he is let go and someone else is brought in or takes over.

Yes sir it is. Mike made the call to hire him and he should make the call to demote/fire him really soon. Or Jerry will start back to his old ways and doing it for the HC. The last thing anyone wants.

Sydla

Reaction score
I never liked the hire but fans think it's as easy as a change at this point. Nolan is par at best, but the talent level we have is just awful.

He’s below par. He’s a bigger issue than talent. He’s also a much easier fix than the talent.

Cmac

Reaction score
Zeke's fumbles last night secures him another 3 weeks.

Swanny

Reaction score
Is there any reason other than Jerry Jones is a terrible owner who never wants to admit his team needs a major rebuild?

The fact this clown is still employed today tells you all you need to know about this team. He is running the fourth worst defense in NFL history, and they might actual take first place by the time the season is over.

In what other profession and franchise are you allowed to be so inept at your job?
Talent on the roster sucks?

cowboygo

Reaction score
Is there any reason other than Jerry Jones is a terrible owner who never wants to admit his team needs a major rebuild?

The fact this clown is still employed today tells you all you need to know about this team. He is running the fourth worst defense in NFL history, and they might actual take first place by the time the season is over.

In what other profession and franchise are you allowed to be so inept at your job?
no one on Defense would make the All-NFC East team. the players are just flat out bad. We need a bend dont break defense to even have a shot. We aren't running that anymore. Thing is, we can't even hold a lead for a bend dont break defense to work.

Nolan still bad though.

Ring6

StarSchema
Reaction score
Imagine being an assistant coach on the defensive side under a lame duck Nolan now. That would suck, and it may cause further poop in the defense. Like poop on top of poop. Nolan gets to keep his job until the end of the season, and all his assistant coaches have is poop.