Is there an end to this Commanders madness???

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
Jimmie said:
every year they spend huge money and we keep saying.. "cant wait till next year, there gonna be screwed cap wise".

so, how do they keep pulling it off? where do they keep getting cap space from?:bang2:

Having Joe Gibbs as our leader, and hence players willing to restructure contracts.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
...the Skins can or cannot do is going to be solved by either one of three things. Settlement of the CBA. We gone through that.

Continuing revenue stream. The basis for the cap rising from year to year is the TV revenues. We've had one institution go down due to poor ratings, MNF, and if there are naymore repercussions to other market segments then watch out because the cap can just as easily regress.

The third is that the NFl goes on forever and a day continually increasing it's revenues and never losing it's market share.

That is a possibility I don't believe in. There has been unprecendented labour peace in the NFL since the strike shortened season that saw the Commanders take the SuperBowl.

Many entertainment economists have stated that the NFL has enjoyed greener pastures not because the game has necessarily gotten better, but the other leagues have gotten worse.

Continued problems in MLB, the NBA and NHL has proven in some fashion to be a boon for the NFL who has enjoyed relative calm in labour relations. But like all economics driven entities there is an up and there is a down. At some point there has to be a "market correction" for the present salary cap.

The symptoms are already there with a few broadcasters grousing about the decrease in viewers for some of their offerings. Also, I believe the and revenues for the SuperBowl are not rising as fast as they were in the 90's.

I wouldn't be so confident in expecting a perpetually rising salary cap.

JohnnY

Reaction score
Fan21 said:
Dan Snyder is a very smart man...he is after all richer than everyone on this board combined. He didn't get that way by being an idiot.

He hires smart people. The Skins have been doing a lot of backloading contracts. I don't see how that is 'cheating the system'; everyone in the league knows that the cap rises.

And it is also not cheating to have his players renegotiate their contracts to help the team sign strong players.

I think it is time that other teams stop complaining about how the Skins work around the salary cap and take some notes. I'm getting sick of hearing that the Skins will be in cap hell every offseason. Get off it! Do you honestly believe that Snyder and Gibbs are going to ruin the Commanders?!

Give credit where credit is due! Finally, I am actually hearing some commendation of Dan Snyder, currently the best owner in the NFL! You know it's true!

Good post my man.