Is there any formation or scheme that you HATE!

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Here are football formations and schemes that I just can't stand. It may be irrational, but, oh well.

1. The wishbone. EEEEEWWWWWWWWW! I'm watching an old college football game in which the Sooners used the wishbone. YUCK! Any team that uses that formation deserves to lose. It just looks stupid. Thank God no one in the NFL uses it. (Do they?)
2. The 3 - 4 defense. Blech! I'm so glad the Cowboys dumped their use of the 3 - 4. I don't even really know why I hate it so much. I just expect to have FOUR linemen, not three, FOUR. And I want three linebackers. There should be a middle linebacker, not an interior left linebacker and an interior right linebacker. Yuck. I can't stand that. I think any team that uses the 3 - 4 must love commie dictators or serial killers or something, or maybe they torture little kittens. I don't know. I just don't like it.
3. The run and shoot offense. NO! NO! I always despised Buddy Ryan, but I did get a good laugh when he called this scheme the "chuck and duck." I always saw it as a lame gimmick. Thank God it's gone out of style. No one uses it anymore, right? I hope not. If they do, they should have to change the name of their team to "The Wusses."

So that's my list. What's your list of formations or schemes that you hate.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Here are football formations and schemes that I just can't stand. It may be irrational, but, oh well.

1. The wishbone. EEEEEWWWWWWWWW! I'm watching an old college football game in which the Sooners used the wishbone. YUCK! Any team that uses that formation deserves to lose. It just looks stupid. Thank God no one in the NFL uses it. (Do they?)
2. The 3 - 4 defense. Blech! I'm so glad the Cowboys dumped their use of the 3 - 4. I don't even really know why I hate it so much. I just expect to have FOUR linemen, not three, FOUR. And I want three linebackers. There should be a middle linebacker, not an interior left linebacker and an interior right linebacker. Yuck. I can't stand that. I think any team that uses the 3 - 4 must love commie dictators or serial killers or something, or maybe they torture little kittens. I don't know. I just don't like it.
3. The run and shoot offense. NO! NO! I always despised Buddy Ryan, but I did get a good laugh when he called this scheme the "chuck and duck." I always saw it as a lame gimmick. Thank God it's gone out of style. No one uses it anymore, right? I hope not. If they do, they should have to change the name of their team to "The Wusses."

So that's my list. What's your list of formations or schemes that you hate.
Lol the wishbone. I was qb of my pop warner team and they ran the wish bone. It sucks lol

Hardline

Reaction score
I loved the wishbone
I miss the old Red River shootouts between Texas and Oklahoma

Three yards and a cloud of dust all game long .

What I hate in the Cowboys is not having a RB in the backfield. You are eliminating the possibility of a run and defenses key on the pass.
I don't like the shotgun formation either. I want my QBs eyes focused on the defense not looking the snap into their hands

Flamma

Reaction score
Only two things I can't stand. The empty backfield and the 4WR set in shotgun, with or without play action. If you're going to run the 4WR set, run it from under center. The play action is always more effective.

I don't mind the wishbone when a team has a dominating run game. You really can't use it in the NFL. But if you're a powerhouse run team that formation can be devastating.

I liked the chuck and duck. It's really not good against good defenses, but how many good defenses do we see today? Granted, I think the "Boys and Bears would destroy it, but most defenses would struggle. The Houston Oilers were a very good team using that offense. But again, they had a HOF quarterback throwing to 3-4 really good WRs. Today teams couldn't afford them. But they had like 3-4 Amari Coopers running around out there. I really liked that team and was a fan of Moon and company. But I knew the Cowboys would have destroyed that team.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Only two things I can't stand. The empty backfield and the 4WR set in shotgun, with or without play action. If you're going to run the 4WR set, run it from under center. The play action is always more effective.

I don't mind the wishbone when a team has a dominating run game. You really can't use it in the NFL. But if you're a powerhouse run team that formation can be devastating.

I liked the chuck and duck. It's really not good against good defenses, but how many good defenses do we see today? Granted, I think the "Boys and Bears would destroy it, but most defenses would struggle. The Houston Oilers were a very good team using that offense. But again, they had a HOF quarterback throwing to 3-4 really good WRs. Today teams couldn't afford them. But they had like 3-4 Amari Coopers running around out there. I really liked that team and was a fan of Moon and company. But I knew the Cowboys would have destroyed that team.

I think it's the dumbest thing in the world when people run it in 10's personnel. Like... why would that work?

But still, you see it all the time.