Is there anyone else happy about the TNew news

50cent

Reaction score
The part where he played last season with a meniscus injury. This could very well explain why he had so much trouble in coverage last season. I'll tell you this, backpedalling and jamming a receiver then having to make an abrupt turn is almost impossible with a meniscus problem. Me for one, I'm glad to know that it was physical and it explains why he was so down on himself when BP had to met with him last year.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
50cent said:
The part where he played last season with a meniscus injury. This could very well explain why he had so much trouble in coverage last season. I'll tell you this, backpedalling and jamming a receiver then having to make an abrupt turn is almost impossible with a meniscus problem. Me for one, I'm glad to know that it was physical and it explains why he was so down on himself when BP had to met with him last year.

I hope that was the extent of it. It does not change the fact though that he was constantly biting on double moves just as he did in the playoffs against Carolina. Newman did play much better towards the end of the season and I look forward to seeing him out on the field this coming season.

Kittymama

Benched
Reaction score
I think part of it was the injury, & frankly for the entire young defense (including Roy), I think the loss of Woody was much bigger than the general public realized. The kids relied on him heavily for veteran tips when they were out on the field, plus I remember from Parcells' first season a mention that he (Woody) would take the defense out for dinners & they'd do imitations of Parcells--so he clearly was a locker-room leader for the kids. They lost him very unexpectedly & really struggled. The encouraging thing, as another thread pointed out, is that the defense started coming along toward the end. Yes, it was a crappy season, but the youngsters were starting to take the diapers off. TNew is over the injury now, we've got some good defense & some solid veterans, they've learned to survive without Woody, so I think Roy & TNew are gonna have a big season--not to mention what we see out of our rookies.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
I hope that was the extent of it. It does not change the fact though that he was constantly biting on double moves just as he did in the playoffs against Carolina. Newman did play much better towards the end of the season and I look forward to seeing him out on the field this coming season.

I don't recall Newman getting beat on double moves againt Carolina. I remember him poorly playing a short route by Steve Smith. Newman had safety help deep and a blitz was called on the 3rd and long play, but he backed out instead of holding up the receiver. He then missed the tackle leading to a 60+ yard gain. Newman then just got beat on a go sideline route by Smith who made a great catch for a 40+ yard TD. But I don't remember seeing double routes. Heck, they weren't needed.

There were some threads last season that made Newman to be the worst corner back to ever don a Cowboy uniform. He had moments where he got beat, but overall he had a solid year. I look for him to improve on his own and then to also have a better cast around him that will also help his play.

smashmouth

Benched
Reaction score
I'm pulling for TNew all the way, we have too. He is what we have as a name and we really need him to step it up this year. This is his opportunity to turn the corner and become and elite player in this league.
He should have some help with the pass rush this year allowing him to jump on top of quick routes. I can't wait, is it July 30th yet?

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
The news doesn't really affect me too much. I thought the Football Scientist was right, he seemed to play better when he utilizes tight coverage. When he goes to soft coverage, he tends to bite too hard on hitch-n-go patterns. That being said, I'm not sure why.

Plus, he was much better, the secondary was much better, and the entire defense was much better once Dixon was benched.

The real problem is that for the most part Newman was excellent last season, but when you have 4 bad games and they all happen on National TV, it often doesn't make a difference how well you play in the other 12 games.

Rich...........

Doomsday101

Reaction score
joseephuss said:
I don't recall Newman getting beat on double moves againt Carolina. I remember him poorly playing a short route by Steve Smith. Newman had safety help deep and a blitz was called on the 3rd and long play, but he backed out instead of holding up the receiver. He then missed the tackle leading to a 60+ yard gain. Newman then just got beat on a go sideline route by Smith who made a great catch for a 40+ yard TD. But I don't remember seeing double routes. Heck, they weren't needed.

There were some threads last season that made Newman to be the worst corner back to ever don a Cowboy uniform. He had moments where he got beat, but overall he had a solid year. I look for him to improve on his own and then to also have a better cast around him that will also help his play.

It was one of the 1st offensive plays by Carolina in which Newman bit on the double move and the WR left him standing there. Don't get me wrong I like Newman and I think he can become a very good CB in this league but yes I have seen him bite on the double move on several occasions. Late in the season last year he did a much better job and I hope he can continue to show progress in his game.

InDakWeTrust

DezBRomo9
Reaction score
Yakuza Rich said:
The news doesn't really affect me too much. I thought the Football Scientist was right, he seemed to play better when he utilizes tight coverage. When he goes to soft coverage, he tends to bite too hard on hitch-n-go patterns. That being said, I'm not sure why.

Plus, he was much better, the secondary was much better, and the entire defense was much better once Dixon was benched.

The real problem is that for the most part Newman was excellent last season, but when you have 4 bad games and they all happen on National TV, it often doesn't make a difference how well you play in the other 12 games.

Rich...........

That is why I think Justin Beriault or Lynn Scott will start at FS. Both are smarter players than Keith Davis. Dixon never had the instincts, coverage ability or speed for that matter. Beriault and Scott will play ok and make a few plays. Each will have the defense lined up right like Woodson did and both can make the right coverage calls in the secondary. Newman was hindered by the injury IMO. The meniscus is what sidelined my friend in HS for about 5 weeks. If it was serious enough he could have had surgery but he played on it injured and not letting it heal. If he looked slower and not as smooth in backpedaling and turning and runnning that is why.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
That is why I think Justin Beriault or Lynn Scott will start at FS. Both are smarter players than Keith Davis.

Beriault is a rookie and is a strong safety, so I doubt that he'll be much smarter than Davis for 2005.

Dixon never had the instincts, coverage ability or speed for that matter.

Everything I've read about Dixon is that he has the athletic ability, he just can't tackle, has no instincts and can't pick up plays. I don't think speed had really anything to do with it.

My guess is that Williams and Davis will be the starting safeties and Roy will actually play a lot more FS than people think because Davis is still a liability in coverage. Coverage isn't Roy's strong point, but he usually doesn't blow coverages and is still better than Davis.

I figure in nickel situations, they'll take out Davis and put in Pete Hunter in his place.

Rich.........

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Kittymama said:
I think part of it was the injury, & frankly for the entire young defense (including Roy), I think the loss of Woody was much bigger than the general public realized. The kids relied on him heavily for veteran tips when they were out on the field, plus I remember from Parcells' first season a mention that he (Woody) would take the defense out for dinners & they'd do imitations of Parcells--so he clearly was a locker-room leader for the kids. They lost him very unexpectedly & really struggled. The encouraging thing, as another thread pointed out, is that the defense started coming along toward the end. Yes, it was a crappy season, but the youngsters were starting to take the diapers off. TNew is over the injury now, we've got some good defense & some solid veterans, they've learned to survive without Woody, so I think Roy & TNew are gonna have a big season--not to mention what we see out of our rookies.

I agree with everything you said.

But once Woodson went out with a back injury, I think everyone--management, coaches and the players-- were foolish for expecting him back. It should have been viewed as a plan for the worst and hope for the best.

Instead it appeared on the surface to look like for weeks at a time we were waiting. And eventually, it was concluded he was done.

I just find it inexcuseable that we went with Tony Dixon and we shifted Roy Williams out of his natural position.

StateCollegeCowboy

aka BostonCowboy
Reaction score
Yakuza Rich said:
I thought the Football Scientist was right

Who is that? Is he the guy that Dr. Z was talking about that wrote an in-depth book on the passing game in the NFL?

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score

So much of this CB evaluation seems to be based on non-quantitative hype or overstressing a bad game or a bad play and not looking at the overall picture, that its all pretty much useless. A pass rusher can get shut out for 95% of the game, be a complete liability against the run and get one sack and he's had a great game. A CB can shut down a WR for 95% of the time, make a bunch of tackles in the running game, get beat one memorable time and he's a disappointment. The standards for CB's compared to other positions is ridiculous.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
So much of this CB evaluation seems to be based on non-quantitative hype or overstressing a bad game or a bad play and not looking at the overall picture, that its all pretty much useless. A pass rusher can get shut out for 95% of the game, be a complete liability against the run and get one sack and he's had a great game. A CB can shut down a WR for 95% of the time, make a bunch of tackles in the running game, get beat one memorable time and he's a disappointment. The standards for CB's compared to other positions is ridiculous.

I agree with this statement. Myself I think CB is the hardest position to play on defense and one of the hardest in football and it seems the rules committees try to make it harder each year. I have some criticism of Newman but all in all I think he is a very good CB who is still a young player and if he can remain healthy I think he will only improve

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
It was one of the 1st offensive plays by Carolina in which Newman bit on the double move and the WR left him standing there.

That wasn't a double move. It was a simple quick hitch. Newman came up to make the tackle, but Smith cut in after catching it and kept going for a 70-yard gain.

joseephuss

Reaction score
AdamJT13 said:
That wasn't a double move. It was a simple quick hitch. Newman came up to make the tackle, but Smith cut in after catching it and kept going for a 70-yard gain.

Yep. Newman played it poorly. With the blitz called and Roy Williamns sliding over for deep coverage, Newman should have had tighter coverage. The underneath coverage was his primary responsibility. Delhomme just hung the ball out there. It was a perfect defensive call for a turnover opportunity at the best and certainly keeping Carolina from coverting their third down. Instead, TNew played too far off leading to a big play. Petey Hunter saved a TD and Dallas had a good defensive stand to limit them to a FG and then things got worse.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
joseephuss said:
Yep. Newman played it poorly. With the blitz called and Roy Williamns sliding over for deep coverage, Newman should have had tighter coverage. The underneath coverage was his primary responsibility. Delhomme just hung the ball out there. It was a perfect defensive call for a turnover opportunity at the best and certainly keeping Carolina from coverting their third down. Instead, TNew played too far off leading to a big play. Petey Hunter saved a TD and Dallas had a good defensive stand to limit them to a FG and then things got worse.
He played it poorly, no doubt about it. But for the record, I'm pretty sure Roy missed Smith about 10 yards down the field as well.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes TNew played with an injury last season. But for the most part I think our defense just played in a funk all year probably due to Woody getting hurt. I fully expect to see Newman to play great this year and be in the running for a pro bowl appearance.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
the loss of Darren Woodson...the non play of wiley...the awful play of James and Dixon plus losing hunter really hurt