CFZ Is there enough money for a quality coaching staff?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I could be wrong but this owner does not like paying big coach salaries and particularly to coaches out the door. Which is why they waited to let these contracts expire as well as Garrett's.

I also assume Moore made some concessions to get out of his contract as part of his side of the deal.

The Joneses have never seemed to value coaching highly and Parcells was here only as means to an end.

I am also assuming Quinn got another bump to stay but at what expense? Does that mean less to go around for the rest of the staff?

Every time I read what Payton is wanting and saw the Cowboys anywhere in that article, I laughed. Think he is paying any HC 20M a year? And while on that subject, if Payton were to take them to the SB, who do you think gets credit? Him or the man that hired him. This owner has already been down that road and that wasn't good enough for him. And because of the media, the perception of Payton v McCarthy is totally distorted.

I think the requirements list for these coaches has their salary right at the top of the list and that should not be but there are many things about this team that should not be.

Tangle_Foot

Reaction score
The Cowboys are wealthiest franchise and professional sports. They build state of the art facilities. Jerry needs to get past hiring someone he can be friends with and hire a disciplinarian and let him choose his staff regardless of cost. It's not like the Cowboys can't afford it. There's no cap on coaches and the Cowboys have more than enough money.

Last edited:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry is worth 13.4 billion....I don't think this is an issue. What he doesn't like is firing a coach and paying him to sit at home.
Worth has nothing to do with how money for certain things is perceived by rich people. Worked with many of them for years.

Ask the waitstaff at a high-end restaurant about rich people and tipping.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I could be wrong but this owner does not like paying big coach salaries and particularly to coaches out the door. Which is why they waited to let these contracts expire as well as Garrett's.

I also assume Moore made some concessions to get out of his contract as part of his side of the deal.

The Joneses have never seemed to value coaching highly and Parcells was here only as means to an end.

I am also assuming Quinn got another bump to stay but at what expense? Does that mean less to go around for the rest of the staff?

Every time I read what Payton is wanting and saw the Cowboys anywhere in that article, I laughed. Think he is paying any HC 20M a year? And while on that subject, if Payton were to take them to the SB, who do you think gets credit? Him or the man that hired him. This owner has already been down that road and that wasn't good enough for him. And because of the media, the perception of Payton v McCarthy is totally distorted.

I think the requirements list for these coaches has their salary right at the top of the list and that should not be but there are many things about this team that should not be.
that just wrong wont even read it I'm replying to the title.. the jones' have always paid a premium for assistants when worth keeping. many assistants make HC type money here. Quinn is the latest.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Is there enough money? The Cowboys could afford the most expensive coaching staff in the league. Easily.
You misunderstand the post, it is about money made available by the owner. Of course there is enough money but will it get spent?

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Worth has nothing to do with how money for certain things is perceived by rich people. Worked with many of them for years.

Ask the waitstaff at a high-end restaurant about rich people and tipping.
What does that have to do with paying coaches....are they fetching food and drinks for Jerry? Lol, maybe they are!

glimmerman

Reaction score
You misunderstand the post, it is about money made available by the owner. Of course there is enough money but will it get spent?
I think it’s about what JJ thinks the coach is worth. I am figuring Quinn got a pay raise to stay. Along with a promise of a few new players of his choice. He could be a quality DT away. Of course some depth players. Are they going to keep LVE I wonder. He played on a 1 year prove it deal last season.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

They had 29 coaches in 2022.

I looked at the Packers in McCarthy's final 2 seasons and they had 22 coaches.

The Sean Payton talk is all media driven. They're not going to give up a 1st round pick AND pay him big money.

FYI: The Cowboys have often had the highest paid OLine coach in the league. Houck, Callahan, Philbin.

phildadon86

Reaction score
They had 29 coaches in 2022.

I looked at the Packers in McCarthy's final 2 seasons and they had 22 coaches.

The Sean Payton talk is all media driven. They're not going to give up a 1st round pick AND pay him big money.

FYI: The Cowboys have often had the highest paid OLine coach in the league. Houck, Callahan, Philbin.
He wont be a first round pick by the end of next season. Not even close.

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
I think it’s about what JJ thinks the coach is worth. I am figuring Quinn got a pay raise to stay. Along with a promise of a few new players of his choice. He could be a quality DT away. Of course some depth players. Are they going to keep LVE I wonder. He played on a 1 year prove it deal last season.
Omgosh. I was a bartender back in the day at a really nice nightclub. At a daytime meeting, someone came up to me and said the owner wanted a softdrink. I was not working and not even behind the bar and told the person that he owner could get it himself. The owner heard me and I was "let go". Guess what I said to the owner? Can't say it on the forum it was a beauty.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think there is an article on the team site, saying how they want to reduce the amount of coaches as part of not renewing the contracts.
And it is not about saving $$$.
I think it has more to do with too many talking heads, and that can confuse the players, especially if they all are not on the same page and were telling them different things.

Less coach, less confusion. Have assistant coaches, but they need less say.

Jipper

Reaction score
jerry is the 40th richest man in america, there is no salary cap for coaches, so yes there is plenty of money....hes never been tight on coaches salaries which is why he retained a lot of good coordinators over the years when they could have gone elsewhere

lostar2009

Reaction score
Jerry is worth 13.4 billion....I don't think this is an issue. What he doesn't like is firing a coach and paying him to sit at home.

I would've kept Kellen Moore and let him earn that money doing something else offense related.