Is this a logical argument?

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Hoov said:
The pass protection at the end of last year was awful, hence i can see a fan of another team ripping the dallas OLine.

All the talk of the cowboys missing Probowler LA doesnt faze me a bit. I havent got into this discussion yet, but i remember several times seeing LA standing with his hand on his hips turned around towards the backfield and watching Jones pick himself up after a 2 yard loss where he was hit as he took the handoff.

And someone posted a stat last year of the average run yards behing each OLineman, (i dont know how they compiled that one) but i do remember that runs behind LA averaged less than every other lineman, i think the figure was close to 1.7 yards.

And we know Allen cant pull anymore, so what was he going to contribute this year. with him in the lineup it severely hinders the lateral running plays, the screen passes, and running directly behind him was not working. Im not sold that he was a great pass blocker either last year.

Kosier may get pushed back a bit, but his athleticism will bring a different dimension that we havent had for some time. whether its an upgrade or not remains to be seen, but cant get any worse than last yaer.

Great post. Of course, this could be taken as a slap in the face to Larry Allen by fans who really never took the time to watch him closely the last few years, particularly on plays last season when we pulled him.

Reaction score
The 2005 offensive line was never superb. Not even close. Well beofre Flozell got hurt, the line could not run block to save their lives. Pass protection was OK, but we need top quit fooling ourselves. The line was never "good" and it got much worse when Flozell went down.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
MONT17 said:
Flozell had problems with speed rushers before the injury right? How many 330lbs guys play better after a knee injury?
He's fully recovered, so the knee injury is moot. He's solid. At his best he's pro bowl quality. Reports have him working harder and more determined this offseason than he's ever been.
Koiser is an upgrade over LA who made the PROBOWL?
LA made the probowl, sure, but that doesn't mean he was probowl quality.
AL JOHNSON bulking up does what to improve the center exchange? or defenses timing Bledsoes count?
That was fixed by the end of last season. Johnson's bulking up (adding 20 lbs of muscle) reduces the likelihood of him being overpowered. I guess you ignored that.
RIVERA's healthy and 35, right? How many 35 year olds outside of Madden 06 get over back problems over the offseason?
He's 34. He's had a full offseason to recover (which is usually what it takes) and he's had time to hit the weights before the season, something he couldn't do last year. Hitting the weights is key for linemen.
Fabini and Petite can probally make Pasta dishes better than they can play OT!!!
Is that an argument or a failed attempt at humor? Looks like the latter to me.
yes the OL will be better but thats not saying much is it?
The OL will be better than it was during the first half of last season, and at that time it was more than "serviceable".

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
parchy said:
The problem was that it had one too many lapses (for my liking, at least) even when Flozell was healthy. There is no question that they're a stronger unit with Hotel in the starting lineup, but I don't think that group, especially one without LA, is anything to really get excited about.
I agree that the unit wasn't as cohesive as one would have liked, but the offense was a top 5 offense and was averaging over 24 pts per game and not giving up sacks galore.

but I disagree with our assessment of LA. he didn't fit the offense any longer. he had lost a lot of mobility and was a liability in blocking and coverage if he couldn't get his hands on the defender quickly to use his power. I think everyone thinks back to the LA of 5 years ago. LA was average at best this past couple of years.

If all you're going on is improvement, I think its safe to say they have done that. The line will likely be good enough to see the team through to the playoffs, and that is really all I need. We can speculate on the type of player Kosier will be and how Al Johnson responds with a position battle looming, but when you take a step back from all that and look at the grand scheme, the line will be enough, barring injuries as always. *knock on wood*

do we have a great OL? no. do we have a good OL? yes. are we going to run a scheme that will help our OL? yes. I look for a big year from Rivera who was a disappointment last year.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cowboys' offense was among the league's best last season when the supposedly "subpar" offensive line was intact - a line featuring a rookie 6th round pick thurst into the RT spot by necessity.

The Commanders didn't get close enough to Drew Bledsoe to positively identify him and does anyone need a reminder of how they completely shredded the Eagles' defense?

Anyone missing Larry Allen didn't watch his play last year - or the two before that. He was a great player but his better days have passed. He missed more key blocks than he made and he was ill-suited to the Cowboys' current offense. I strongly feel that Kosier will be an upgrade over the Larry Allen of today.

Looking at the current offensive line, they've improved in several ways:

1) Adams' return is an improvement over having to start Tucker

2) Kosier is better suited to the Cowboys current offensive schemes

3) Al Johnson has another year to regain lower-body strength after his knee injury

4) Marco Rivera is a year removed from his back surgery and won't have to "babysit" a rookie RT this year

5) Rob Petitti 2006 will be a better player than Petitti 2005 was

6) Fabini will either start at RT or be a a quality backup at both tackle positions guarding against a repeat of 2005.

7) Marc Columbo will have the chance to show something after being "redshirted" in 2005

I think may are selling the Cowboys' offensive line too short in their ability to be successful.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
I thought Columbo was just touring campus in 05. :) This year's likely his "redshirt" year.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
MONT17 said:
Flozell had problems with speed rushers before the injury right? How many 330lbs guys play better after a knee injury?
so do a lot of other tackles have problems with speed rushers. that's why speed rushers are at a premium. the only exceptions maybe walter jones and a couple of others. Sameuls in DC has the same problem. so does the tackles at philly and NY.

you also notice we gave up 0 sacks to SD, 0 sacks to Commanders. only 4 sacks through the first 5 games.

Koiser is an upgrade over LA who made the PROBOWL?
oh the popularity contest. glover made the probowl as well. did he deserve it? LA got there based on reputation and name recognition. his play had leveled off and he was average at best over the past couple of years. so you think we should have held on to LA for another 10 years?

AL JOHNSON bulking up does what to improve the center exchange? or defenses timing Bledsoes count?
it may or may not continue. but how many snaps lost. plus this was the first year AJ and Bledsoe worked together. its a problem that I am sure the coaching staff is addressing if fans such as you and I are looking at it.

RIVERA's healthy and 35, right? How many 35 year olds outside of Madden 06 get over back problems over the offseason?
I agree, I was disappointed in Rivera. he is a question mark until he comes in and proves that he is worth the money he was paid.

Fabini and Petite can probally make Pasta dishes better than they can play OT!!!
Fabini making pasta dishes!! give me a break. go back to the first 5 games and see the 4 sacks we gave up with pettiti starting.

at least now we have depth and experience.

yes the OL will be better but thats not saying much is it?

unless every player plays over their heads this OL will struggle at times!!!

they don't need to play over their head. they need to play well. yes, every player in every position needs to play well for a team to succeed. is that too much to expect? seattle, Commanders, giants, philly, new england, miami, etc. every team has positions, and players that need to play well for them to succeed. its not out of realm of possibility for this group to play well.

but if you are set on your opinion that we will suck, then I can't change that for you.