Is this nit picking?

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
About Bill Parcells that is. What I am talking about is, when he talks about Dallas Cowboys history, almost talks as if, he wants nothing to do with it? Like today in PC, when talking about Cowboys and 49ers Rivarly, he uses "This franchise", not "Ours and 49ers".

Same with other Dallas Players ( Past greats). He always glosses over them (Emmit, Aikman or other players from past). I don't know, I guess I expect Cowboys HC, be reverent about history of the team and their players. Now its not like BP is insulting them or anything, it always bothers me about him.

Now I know I will get plenty of posts about who cares, or you are just whining etc. from usual suspects. But its just something that bothers me about BP or has bothered me ( I think Juke mentioned that few times too). It sometimes feels like hired gun, much like Deion was to me, or TO now is to me, or Drew Bledsoe is to me. Oh well, just something that I wanted to post for a while.

Now I love what BP is doing for the team, but thats not the question here. If not I would have been complaining for more :D

baj1dallas

Reaction score
I think you and a lot of other posters live in fantasy dreamland. Do you talk about your job "reverently"? I sure as heck don't.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
I don't fault BP for that. Coaching is not a good position to get loyal to a team and it's history, because you can be let go so quick. Think about it, when our history was being made, BP was coaching the rival Giants. I bet he didn't like seeing the 90s Cowboys on the schedule when he was with New England. You can't expect all that to change...

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
I've noticed this, as well.

The simplest reason I can think of is this: He's not a Dallas Cowboy through and through. He's not a Tom Landry, a Roger Staubach or a Troy Aikman.

He's more of a Deion Sanders or Charles Haley type. In other words, a hired gun at head coach.

I agree he's much more reverent about the Giants' history than he is the Cowboys'. But then, he should be. He knows much more about theirs.

cowboys#1

Finish!
Reaction score
RCowboyFan said:
About Bill Parcells that is. What I am talking about is, when he talks about Dallas Cowboys history, almost talks as if, he wants nothing to do with it? Like today in PC, when talking about Cowboys and 49ers Rivarly, he uses "This franchise", not "Ours and 49ers".

Same with other Dallas Players ( Past greats). He always glosses over them (Emmit, Aikman or other players from past). I don't know, I guess I expect Cowboys HC, be reverent about history of the team and their players. Now its not like BP is insulting them or anything, it always bothers me about him.

Now I know I will get plenty of posts about who cares, or you are just whining etc. from usual suspects. But its just something that bothers me about BP or has bothered me ( I think Juke mentioned that few times too). It sometimes feels like hired gun, much like Deion was to me, or TO now is to me, or Drew Bledsoe is to me. Oh well, just something that I wanted to post for a while.

Now I love what BP is doing for the team, but thats not the question here. If not I would have been complaining for more :D
only one man can claim the cowboys as our franchise and his name was Tom Landry...
tuna is a nfl head coach who has been with alot of teams...so i dont think he has to represent the 'boys history too much...my 2 pennies

jman

Reaction score
RCowboyFan said:

I think he's taking things in a historical prespective.

He wasn't here during th eCowboys v 49'ers days, and why compair someone to Cowboys greats he never coached. He compares them to guys he has personal experience with. At least that's my view of it.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
RCowboyFan said:

Well considering he had nothing to do with those teams and players maybe he just not comfortable talking about things he had nothing to do with.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
jman said:
I think he's taking things in a historical prespective.

He wasn't here during th eCowboys v 49'ers days, and why compair someone to Cowboys greats he never coached. He compares them to guys he has personal experience with. At least that's my view of it.

Agreed.

We, as fans, want to hear guys compared to players we're familiar with. But how can he accurately make comparisons to former Cowboys he never coached?

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
That's because Parcells is a hired gun... As some writer said, he was the first real free agent coach.

Yeah, it would be nice if he gave the franchise a little more respect in PCs, but hey, Parcells goes by what he sees. And what he's seen with his own eyes are his Giants, Pats, and Jets teams.

It's kind of understandable, though, given that those Giants Ds were so good and really the prototype of what he wants to build.

Who knows, Parcells might identify himself more with this franchise after a couple more years of winning. :)

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
Dale said:

The simplest reason I can think of is this: He's not a Dallas Cowboy through and through. He's not a Tom Landry, a Roger Staubach or a Troy Aikman.

He's more of a Deion Sanders or Charles Haley type. In other words, a hired gun at head coach.

I agree he's much more reverent about the Giants' history than he is the Cowboys'. But then, he should be. He knows much more about theirs.

Yep I agree, thats the feeling I get.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
baj1dallas said:
I think you and a lot of other posters live in fantasy dreamland. Do you talk about your job "reverently"? I sure as heck don't.
Yeah Ok :rolleyes:

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab said:
Who knows, Parcells might identify himself more with this franchise after a couple more years of winning. :)
A couple of more ??

How about one ? Where we win a playoff game or something like that.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
WV Cowboy said:
A couple of more ??

How about one ? Where we win a playoff game or something like that.

:laugh2: Yeah. But I kind of agree Chocolate Lab there. I guess if BP wins a SB here, he will be more nostalgic about Cowboys. I guess I would care less if he was reverent or not, if he did win SB with Cowboys.

DallasInDC

Reaction score
Dale said:

Considering he played a big part in building that history it makes sense.

In Big D, Bill hasn't achieved enough nor has he been here long enough to feel like he is a part the Dallas Cowboys history. If he were to stay here long enough and win a couple of SB's he would probably reminisce about the Cowboys once he retires.

Grizz

Blogging The Boys
Reaction score
I think more than anything else, the reason Parcells talks like he does about the Cowboys, or lots of things for that matter, is because that's just his personality. He's really not into talking about that kind of stuff, the only time he really seems to get sentimental or talks about non-player issues or outside the scope of football philosophy is when he talks about specific players. Then he can be drawn into discussing things that aren't specifically related to how his current team is doing. So rivalries in the past or allegiance to certain franchises just don't seem to be big on his agenda.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
RCowboyFan said:

I see it differently. I see it as Parcells not trying to inject himself in the Cowboys past successes that he had nothing to do with.

FLcowboy

When Jerry, when?
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
Well considering he had nothing to do with those teams and players maybe he just not comfortable talking about things he had nothing to do with.
I think you are right. If Parcells talked of the glory days and rivalries of the past, someone would castigate him for taking credit for those great teams.

ravidubey

Reaction score
Parcells wants to disassociate what he's doing now from Cowboys history largely to avoid comparisons to Jimmy Johnson and Tom Landry. Those are nearly impossible standards of excellence to contend with, the Patriots notwithstanding.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
He's a carpet bagger. Don't get me wrong, I like the guy (mostly) but in the end, he's a Giant. I do agree with the observation that he's much more inclined to reverance on behalf of players as opposed to franchise.