Is this nit picking?

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Grizz said:
I think more than anything else, the reason Parcells talks like he does about the Cowboys, or lots of things for that matter, is because that's just his personality. He's really not into talking about that kind of stuff, the only time he really seems to get sentimental or talks about non-player issues or outside the scope of football philosophy is when he talks about specific players. Then he can be drawn into discussing things that aren't specifically related to how his current team is doing. So rivalries in the past or allegiance to certain franchises just don't seem to be big on his agenda.

Moreover, how can he be expected to speak in reverent terms of something he has never been a part of? He always speaks in reverent terms about his relationship with Coach Landry because that is something he has familiarity with. And as for the Jets and Patriots, has anyone ever hear him speak in glowing terms about Weeb Eubank or Joe Namath? Steve Grogan or Gino Cappelliti? No. And he would not have any reason to do so.

Were Jimmy Johnson, Barry Switzer and Chan Gailey subjected to this same sort of scrutiny? Is the expectation that he pass some kind of periodic pop quiz on Dallas Cowboy history?

You saw the same sort of reaction from fans when DeMarcus Ware admitted not knowing who Charles Haley was or Bobby Carpenter confessing he knew very little about the history of his jersey number. It is incredibly amusing and also sad that fans expect athletes and coaches to behave like team junkies. Most of the time, they aren't.

And finally, his reluctance to answer a very foolish question about the SF/Dallas rivalry when we are going to play a PRESEASON game is something to nit-pick about?

I guess when there is nothing else to bash Coach Parcells about, it will be invented.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dale said:
I've noticed this, as well.

The simplest reason I can think of is this: He's not a Dallas Cowboy through and through. He's not a Tom Landry, a Roger Staubach or a Troy Aikman.

He's more of a Deion Sanders or Charles Haley type. In other words, a hired gun at head coach.

I agree he's much more reverent about the Giants' history than he is the Cowboys'. But then, he should be. He knows much more about theirs.

That...or the idea that he was just not on the team or working for the team when those other players where there so he can not relate to the ups and downs of the team back then.

He also did not have any personal relationships with those players because he did not coach them.

I really don't think it is anything bad, but I just think he is the type of person that would only feel comfortable talking a certain way if he had first hand exp with the things.

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
This is practically the same thing that people complain about when former players dont 'respect' the franchise when they are broadcasting. What do you want him to do? Completely stop talking about the present and spend 30 minutes talking Emmitt who he never had any thing to do with?

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
Alexander said:
I guess when there is nothing else to bash Coach Parcells about, it will be invented.

Here come the usual suspects.... as predicted :rolleyes:

Alexander

Reaction score
RCowboyFan said:
Here come the usual suspects.... as predicted :rolleyes:

I guess you have nothing to say in regards to the rest of my post. \

Like I said, it can always be invented.:rolleyes:

superpunk

Reaction score
RCowboyFan said:
About Bill Parcells that is. What I am talking about is, when he talks about Dallas Cowboys history, almost talks as if, he wants nothing to do with it? Like today in PC, when talking about Cowboys and 49ers Rivarly, he uses "This franchise", not "Ours and 49ers".

Same with other Dallas Players ( Past greats). He always glosses over them (Emmit, Aikman or other players from past). I don't know, I guess I expect Cowboys HC, be reverent about history of the team and their players. Now its not like BP is insulting them or anything, it always bothers me about him.

Now I know I will get plenty of posts about who cares, or you are just whining etc. from usual suspects. But its just something that bothers me about BP or has bothered me ( I think Juke mentioned that few times too). It sometimes feels like hired gun, much like Deion was to me, or TO now is to me, or Drew Bledsoe is to me. Oh well, just something that I wanted to post for a while.

Now I love what BP is doing for the team, but thats not the question here. If not I would have been complaining for more :D

Who cares? Quit whining.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
Alexander said:
I guess you have nothing to say in regards to the rest of my post. \

Like I said, it can always be invented.:rolleyes:

Yeah, sure, since you know it all....

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
Alexander said:
Nice weak retort. Still nothing to say I suppose.

Yep, your brilliance dazzled me. Now go ahead, do another "weak retort" to me and have your last word in.

superpunk

Reaction score
RCowboyFan said:
:spanking:

:laugh2:

I think you may be a bit off on this one, but I don't think anyone can nit-pick what Parcells says enough. He obviously formulates his words extremely carefully, leaving himself a way out constantly. But in this case, I think he really loves this team, it's evident from how he talks about it. I think I've heard him say some great things about our older players, like Troy when he was inducted, so yes, I think you may just be nit-picking here.

But Vanderjagt is definitely gone. :D

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
Would this be better for you?

BP: "Allright, for todays press conference I am not going to talk about our current team, I am going to give a book report on the History of the Dallas Cowboys I just got done reading....

15 minutes later

"Oh yea, TO's leg fell off, Henson is toast, and Jerry died. See you all in the morning."

Alexander

Reaction score
RCowboyFan said:
Yep, your brilliance dazzled me. Now go ahead, do another "weak retort" to me and have your last word in.

Really, I am waiting for you to discuss it intelligently. I think that's a very fair request. If not, I will assume you really had nothing to add other than to complain.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
superpunk said:
I think you may be a bit off on this one, but I don't think anyone can nit-pick what Parcells says enough. He obviously formulates his words extremely carefully, leaving himself a way out constantly. But in this case, I think he really loves this team, it's evident from how he talks about it. I think I've heard him say some great things about our older players, like Troy when he was inducted, so yes, I think you may just be nit-picking here.

But Vanderjagt is definitely gone. :D

Thats why I asked if I was nit picking ;) And I never said he doesn't like "His" team, that he has now with Dallas Cowboys. Its just he doesn't use "We" word when it comes to talking about Dallas Cowboys in general, that I find it odd. At least to me anyway.

No big deal. Just wondered if anyone else felt the same way like me about that.