Is this our future OG Larry Allen draftee? Says can be had in 2nd round;Iupati OG

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Vandals' Iupati set to bulldoze opponents
The star offensive lineman squats 600 pounds and bench presses more than 400.
BY NICK JEZIERNY - njezierny@idahostatesman.com © 2009 Idaho Statesman
Published: 07/31/09

Comments (1) | Recommend (0)

MEDIA
Hear Idaho football coach Robb Akey's press conference at the WAC football meetings
At 6-foot-6, 330 pounds, Idaho offensive guard Mike Iupati is an imposing figure and the kind of guy who doesn't say much.

So when Iupati does say something, people usually listen. Maybe that's why there are a bunch of WAC defensive linemen feeling a bit uneasy after hearing what he had to say at the WAC Football Meetings on Thursday in Salt Lake City.

"I am very comfortable," Iupati said. "I am in the best shape of my football career, and I'm not just comfortable, I'm confident. The training, what the coaches have taught me and the physical tools I have, I think I'm going to do a lot of damage this year."

Teammate Jonah Sataraka pities those who are going to be on the receiving end of Iupati's pancake blocks or get in his path on plays where he pulls and gets a full head of steam before contact.

"You have to bring your A-game or he'll embarrass you," said Sataraka, a junior nose guard. "He's a physical specimen and his strength is ridiculous."

In the weight room, Iupati squats 600 pounds, bench presses more than 400 and power cleans more than 300 pounds.

That size, strength and his footwork - Sataraka said he competes well in any running drills the team does - make him a candidate to play football professionally.

Vandal coach Robb Akey has been told that after last season, he received a second-round grade by NFL scouts despite missing four games and not being at full strength because of shoulder surgery he had in the spring of 2008.

"It's one of my goals but I'm the kind of person who take steps at a time," Iupati said. "I never say I'm going to NFL, and I never really talk about it. I'm just focusing on school and college football. When the season is over, I can talk about it."

Scouts have told him they like what he brings to the table but would like to see him do a better job of finishing his blocks, which is something he plans on doing this season.

That's bad news for those defenders.

"He's just a mammoth of a man," Hawaii center John Estes said. "He's just a brick wall. Our defensive guys know all about him."

There is a picture of Iupati in one of the team rooms in the Kibbie Dome that showcases what he can do. The picture is from Idaho's season-opening game at USC in 2007.

"He's got his right hand on one guy and he's pancaking another guy with his left hand," Sataraka said. "And that was against (U)SC."

Iupati smiled and chuckled when asked about the picture. That was the first game he started and he is eager for his senior season to begin.

"We're going to surprise a lot of people this season," Iupati said. "Winning big would bring joy to my heart."

He's definitely doing his part to help the Vandals try to record their first winning season since 1999. The senior has emerged as one of this year's team leaders.

"To be a leader, that means they are doing things right and communicating the message that you also want to communicate with your team," Akey said. "I don't care what coach it is - the players' voices is so much louder than ours that it isn't even funny. Everyone respects him. If Mike says it needs to be done that way, then it better be done that way. I think that helps a ton."

Iupati will never be a vocal leader and doesn't try. He describes his leadership style as "by example" and hopes teammates follow his lead.

"He doesn't say that much, but by his actions, he says a lot," Sataraka said. "His actions speak about 1,000 words. A lot of guys really respect them."

Nick Jezierny: 377-6420

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Sounds like a Cowboy lineman to me.

We seem to do okay when we draft linemen from smaller schools...Larry Allen, Erik Williams.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
ranked #1 on NFLDraftScout.com for OG

I just watched the Idaho/Colorado St. game. He dominated his man almost all game. His running back ran right behind his wide butt and into the end zone on the decisive TD.

Yep, he is at the top of my draft board.

Other OL on my board are OT Jason Fox (Miami), OG Vladimir Ducasse (UMass), and C Eric Cook (New Mexico)

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
Biggems;2986170 said:
ranked #1 on NFLDraftScout.com for OG

I just watched the Idaho/Colorado St. game. He dominated his man almost all game. His running back ran right behind his wide butt and into the end zone on the decisive TD.

Yep, he is at the top of my draft board.

Other OL on my board are OT Jason Fox (Miami), OG Vladimir Ducasse (UMass), and C Eric Cook (New Mexico)

Ya, I watched him too. Absolute beast. I've been working on a early mock and I have us picking him in the first round..

UnoDallas

Benched
Reaction score
SLATEmosphere;2986177 said:
Ya, I watched him too. Absolute beast. I've been working on a early mock and I have us picking him in the first round..

well how you going to pick him and E Berry both in the first ?

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
UnoDallas;2995432 said:
well how you going to pick him and E Berry both in the first ?

This was before we played like trash against Denver and heading to a 7-9 record.

Your an annoying wiseguy though.

UnoDallas

Benched
Reaction score
SLATEmosphere;2996911 said:
This was before we played like trash against Denver and heading to a 7-9 record.

Your an annoying wiseguy though.

gosh just like you LOL

I glad you see that

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
UnoDallas;2997026 said:
gosh just like you LOL

I glad you see that

My favorite...

"I got a list of the 2010 FA class. Let me know if you want to know if a player is on it"

:lmao2:

What a fail. Are you going to let us know about Mike Williams again!!?

UnoDallas

Benched
Reaction score
SLATEmosphere;2997038 said:
My favorite...

"I got a list of the 2010 FA class. Let me know if you want to know if a player is on it"

:lmao2:

What a fail. Are you going to let us know about Mike Williams again!!?

What a joke you are going to draft a number E Berry and yet get another first rounder

Reaction score
He's not even ranked in Lindy's Top 10 OGs. Of course, it's the preseason NFL Football Guide, so there is a lot of projection there. We'll have to see how he's ranked at the end of the season & how he performs after that.

I don't see why we couldn't still get him in the third or forth round. Guards aren't taken in the second unless they're premier.

UnoDallas

Benched
Reaction score
Cogan;2998340 said:
He's not even ranked in Lindy's Top 10 OGs. Of course, it's the preseason NFL Football Guide, so there is a lot of projection there. We'll have to see how he's ranked at the end of the season & how he performs after that.

I don't see why we couldn't still get him in the third or forth round. Guards aren't taken in the second unless they're premier.

Gil Brandt has him listed at number uno

so does http://www.nfldraftscout.com/rating...year=2010&sortby=tsxpos&order=ASC&startspot=0