Is this the greatest team ever?

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
The best teams ever were the 92-95 Cowboys and the 74-80 Steelers.

But if Pats win 3 Super Bowls in 4 years they are getting into this discussion deservedly.

DLK150

The Quiet Man
Reaction score
The greatest teams were dominant teams. Look at the average margin of from past multiple Super Bowl winners of whatever era.

GB of the 60's-2 SBs, avg. margin 22 points.
Dallas 70's-2 SBs, avg. margin 19 points.(Lost 2 by an average of 4 points.)
Miami 70's- 2 SBs, avg. margin 24 points.(Lost 1 by 21.)
Pittsburgh 70's- 4 SBs, avg. margin 8 points. (2 by 4 against a certain 2 time winner.)
Oakland 70's- 2 SBs, avg. margin 18 points.
SF 80's- 4 SBs-, avg. margin 19 points.
Washington 80's- 3 SBs, avg. margin 18 points.(Lost 1 by 29)
Dallas 90's- 3 SBs, avg. margin 21 points.
NE 00's- 2 SBs, avg. margin 3 points.

Of the multiple Super Bowl winners, the Patriots have the lowest average margin of victory. That's far from dominating.

Those records also speak to the dominance of one conference over the other. It's been cyclical, although the 70's and 80's combined for a long cycle of power for the NFC.

In the 70's, from SB V in '71, until SB IV in '80, the NFC was 2-8 in Super Bowls.

In the 80's, from SB XV in '81, until SB XXIV in '90, the NFC was 8-2 in Super Bowls.

In the 90's, from SB XXV in '91, until SB XXXIV in '00, the NFC was 8-2 in Super Bowls.

Now, 3 out of the last 4 have been won by AFC teams.

Even with 2 out of 3 super bowls and their win streak, New England hasn't been dominant in this era. When the Cowboys won their last Super Bowl of the 90's, they had ceased being a dominant team, which they were the previous 3 seasons. It wasn't just the coaching that led to our decline in the late 90's, it was the true onset of parity in the league.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
DLK150 said:
The greatest teams were dominant teams. Look at the average margin of from past multiple Super Bowl winners of whatever era.

GB of the 60's-2 SBs, avg. margin 22 points.
Dallas 70's-2 SBs, avg. margin 19 points.(Lost 2 by an average of 4 points.)
Miami 70's- 2 SBs, avg. margin 24 points.(Lost 1 by 21.)
Pittsburgh 70's- 4 SBs, avg. margin 8 points. (2 by 4 against a certain 2 time winner.)
Oakland 70's- 2 SBs, avg. margin 18 points.
SF 80's- 4 SBs-, avg. margin 19 points.
Washington 80's- 3 SBs, avg. margin 18 points.(Lost 1 by 29)
Dallas 90's- 3 SBs, avg. margin 21 points.
NE 00's- 2 SBs, avg. margin 3 points.

Of the multiple Super Bowl winners, the Patriots have the lowest average margin of victory. That's far from dominating.

Those records also speak to the dominance of one conference over the other. It's been cyclical, although the 70's and 80's combined for a long cycle of power for the NFC.

In the 70's, from SB V in '71, until SB IV in '80, the NFC was 2-8 in Super Bowls.

In the 80's, from SB XV in '81, until SB XXIV in '90, the NFC was 8-2 in Super Bowls.

In the 90's, from SB XXV in '91, until SB XXXIV in '00, the NFC was 8-2 in Super Bowls.

Now, 3 out of the last 4 have been won by AFC teams.

Even with 2 out of 3 super bowls and their win streak, New England hasn't been dominant in this era. When the Cowboys won their last Super Bowl of the 90's, they had ceased being a dominant team, which they were the previous 3 seasons. It wasn't just the coaching that led to our decline in the late 90's, it was the true onset of parity in the league.

I'm not going to try and debate this is near the best team ever. It clearly is not. But, it is jumping into the top 5 ever with a 3rd Super Bowl in 4 seasons and with Pioli masterfull cap mgmt and player personnel - are poised to win another 2 to 3. They have won more consecutive football games than any team ever in NFL history. Are 28-4 past 2 seasons. Brady is 6-0 in the postseason. They just win, win and win again. I'd also take Bellicheck and his scheming in any one big game.......

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Pats Pile drive Indy Offense that rolled all year. Kept Indy and Manning to 3 points. Bellicheck just adds on his scheming mastery.

Thats now 20 consecutive Pat home wins. Thats unreal.

The more I see of this team the more I think they could give some of these "dynasty" teams a football game.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Nors said:
Pats 2 of last 3 Super Bowls. Went 14-2 this season.

Three more wins and this is a Dynasty and a Hall of Fame QB.

Can Manning derail that? I say - maybe
Word is Seymour will NOT play and if he does will not be a force. Look for Jarvis Green to step in. The Pats gameplan is to move Eugene Wilson to Cornerback more than normal. Confuse Eli on where safety really is. They will be playing LB's at Safety a lot...... Try and punish Indy receivers. They can get some Gator arms going. Bellicheck likes to get after Manning a lot like Bledsoe. Pressure up the middle. Last season game Pats had corner and a safety behind Marvin Harrison every play. They basically frustrated him out of the game. I think Colts best chance to win is to run the ball. Is Dungy smart enough to adapt and alter a gameplan? No, he'll do what he's done all season Arrogant if he does.[/QUOTE]

Dungy in PC today said as much how could he alter his gameplan that worked so great all season. As Patton once said, "Rommell you dumb *******, I read your book." You can run on Patriots - Cowher is more prepared to attack Bellicheck. Issue will be other side of ball as his D gets exposed........

Thats where Bellicheck is so great - he adapts.

Get the popcorn out - Super Bowl next week.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
NE deserves to be called one of the best ever because they earned it, as for doing it in the age of parity well the Pats are playing on the same level field as everyone else is and continue to prove themselfs.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Nors said:
But if Pats win 3 Super Bowls in 4 years they are getting into this discussion deservedly.

not by me they arnt...like I've said for several seasons, the last half dozen super bowl champions or so would all get pasted by the really good teams before then...this is a highly watered down league now

Pats, good team, not among the bets ever by a long shot...definitely the best of the past half dozen years or so because they play as a team, but the Cowboys, Niners and Bills teams of the early 90's would all murder this team, and the Pats are nowhere near as dominant as the Steelers, Cowboys and Raiders of the 70's, or the Niners of the 80's

David

jimmy40

Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
not by me they arnt...like I've said for several seasons, the last half dozen super bowl champions or so would all get pasted by the really good teams before then...this is a highly watered down league now

Pats, good team, not among the bets ever by a long shot...definitely the best of the past half dozen years or so because they play as a team, but the Cowboys, Niners and Bills teams of the early 90's would all murder this team, and the Pats are nowhere near as dominant as the Steelers, Cowboys and Raiders of the 70's, or the Niners of the 80's

David
No way the Bills murder this team. No way. That's laughable. The AFC sucked in the 90s. The Bills weren't that good.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
jimmy40 said:
No way the Bills murder this team. No way. That's laughable. The AFC sucked in the 90s. The Bills weren't that good.

Never won a Super Bowl, argument over.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
where does this team stop? Kraft, Bellicheck and Pioli are masters.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
very good team, but watered down league...not greatest team ever by far though

if you want to take the Pats and let me take the "field" for who wins the super bowl this yr, I'm game...

David

Pats won, field lost.

Thats 3 SB's in 4 years for Pats. Dynasty, Levys Bills can't touch that.

k19

Reaction score
Lets see how they do with their O and D coordinators gone elsewhere next year. Will BB become BP?

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
K19 said:
Lets see how they do with their O and D coordinators gone elsewhere next year. Will BB become BP?

Bellicheck has 3 Super Bowls
Parcells has 2 (with Bellicheck as DC)

Give me a D, D...........