Is Troy Aikman Stupid?

vaturkey

Reaction score
Ok,

If we all agree that isn't the case and Troy believes Norv is a great X's and O's coach (at least on the offensive side of the house), why does Norv's potential selection as Head Coach make people crazy? Lets see if we can mention a few positives:

1. He knows Jerry and Jerry trusts him. ++

2. He knows offenses and what it takes to succeed.++

3. He runs a balanced attack.++

4. He's great with young quarterbacks.++

5. He knows how to use a stud wide receiver.++

6. He's done a great job in San Fran and made that team better.++

7. He's got experience as a HC.++

8. He'd teach Jason Garret a ton organizationally.++

9. Aikman credits him with making the Cowboys three time World Champions.++

10. When he left, the Cowboys went down hill.++

Ok. I'm sure I'll be shot full of holes the the Chicken Little crew, but given the fact that Parcell's left Jerry high and dry, give me a better candidate who is available now, who isn't on Chicago's staff?

:lombardi:

For those who point out failed stints in Washington and Oakland. I don't believe Vince Lombardi could have done anything with those two owners. Al Davis is senile and Danny boy is the latest version of Richie Rich. Jerry has most of the pieces in place for Norm to suceed. All we need now is someone who knows how to coach a 3-4. Maybe Groh out of Virginia can be persuaded with a nice big fat check from Jerry.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
Granted, some of the Jerry bashing gets tiring, but I don't see how questioning Norv's credentials as a head coach makes one a chicken little.

Troy is very loyal to Norv, and justifiably so. He's a friend, a colleague, a mentor -- you name it. Troy's not 'stupid' for recommending him, as you suggested. Troy can be wrong in one's mind without him being 'stupid.' It's as if you're suggesting since Troy recommends the move, it's gotta be right. I definitely wouldn't go as far as to suggest that.

It's been reported that the only team Norv with which Norv could get another head coaching opportunity would be the Cowboys. Personally, I wouldn't like the idea of having a coach that no other team wanted in that capacity.

But maybe that's just me.

As I said in another post, Norv has some upside to him. Maybe returning to Dallas will bring some mystique and attitude to his coaching style. Maybe he'll work better in this environment. Maybe his records in Washington and Oakland mean nothing.

But, geez, it seems like a ton of excuses have to be made to justify his selection. Not sure I like that.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
To add, my two big concerns with Turner are the following:

1) Is Jerry going to return to "bad Jerry" and meddle too much and undermine his head coach if Turner is selected? Norv seems like the sort of coach he'll take advantage of. He's a friend, laid-back, and doesn't demand control. I think Jerry progressed a lot as an owner under Bill Parcells. Returning to his Campo-years style would be a regression.

2) What becomes of the defense? I don't believe Bowles is ready to coordinate the unit unless he has a defensive-minded head coach supervising his work. If Phillips were brought in, I could easily see Bowles being the defensive coordinator. It'd almost be like Norv mentoring Garrett. Bowles would be able to learn, improve and develop in a position of authority.

But if Turner's the head coach, I think a more experienced defensive coordinator is a must. Who do the Cowboys get in such a scenario? And, frankly, I think the defense is in much greater need of change than the offense. The offense, in many aspects, had a record-setting season last year. The defense, on the other hand, stunk down the stretch. I think new defensive minds are needed more than new offensive minds.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
You dadgum right he is, he's worse than stupid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.....he played for Cowboys in the 90's and he bashes us every chance he gets. Can you expect anything else but "Stupid".

I would believe Troy about as far as I could throw him.

All right!!!!!! This "Red Sarcasm Button" on my new mouse is working "GREAT".

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cbz40;1342734 said:
You dadgum right he is, he's worse than stupid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.....he played for Cowboys in the 90's and he bashes us every chance he gets. Can you expect anything else but "Stupid".

I would believe Troy about as far as I could throw him.

All right!!!!!! This "Red Sarcasm Button" on my new mouse is working "GREAT".

Darn good stuff Pops.

Was just going to say something along those lines...but I see quick draw mcgraw beat me to it.

:cool:

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;1342741 said:
Darn good stuff Pops.

Was just going to say something along those lines...but I see quick draw mcgraw beat me to it.

You were a great coach Brain....:)

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;1342741 said:
Darn good stuff Pops.

Watch out for the kabonger :D

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Dale;1342732 said:

1) Is Jerry going to return to "bad Jerry" and meddle too much and undermine his head coach if Turner is selected? Norv seems like the sort of coach he'll take advantage of. He's a friend, laid-back, and doesn't demand control. I think Jerry progressed a lot as an owner under Bill Parcells. Returning to his Campo-years style would be a regression.

2) What becomes of the defense? I don't believe Bowles is ready to coordinate the unit unless he has a defensive-minded head coach supervising his work. If Phillips were brought in, I could easily see Bowles being the defensive coordinator. It'd almost be like Norv mentoring Garrett. Bowles would be able to learn, improve and develop in a position of authority.

But if Turner's the head coach, I think a more experienced defensive coordinator is a must. Who do the Cowboys get in such a scenario? And, frankly, I think the defense is in much greater need of change than the offense. The offense, in many aspects, had a record-setting season last year. The defense, on the other hand, stunk down the stretch. I think new defensive minds are needed more than new offensive minds.

I agree with this post totally. If Jerry goes w/Norm he had better hire a top notched experienced DC .

If Garrett is made HC.......We need to cover both sides of the ball with experienced COs.

If Jerry returns to "Bad Jerry" :banghead: .......I'll jump on the bandwagon to fire him.

sago1

Reaction score
I'm just very concerned about who our DC would be if Norv becomes the H/C. We need Phillips and the 3-4 defense he plays to get our 3-4 defense to the level we need. Maybe one of his defense coaches can get the job done for us but if we go with Bowles or Gibbs I'm thinking our defense will be the old Parcells vanilla defense. After all if our defensive players couldn't get it done with Parcells what in the world makes us think (and Jerry Jones should really think about this) that Bowles or Gibbs can do that job. I'm going to be sick if Norv becomes our HC unless Jerry Jones pulls a really good DC familiar with our 3-4 out of his hat.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Bart Starr isn't stupid either, but I don't see the Packers consulting him about who their HC should be.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Troy isn't stupid, he's just biased.

Jerry is the one who's stupid for listening to him.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
sago1;1342772 said:
I'm just very concerned about who our DC would be if Norv becomes the H/C. We need Phillips and the 3-4 defense he plays to get our 3-4 defense to the level we need.
:hammer:

Rudy

Reaction score
I don't know...I lived in the DC area when Norv was the coach, and there was a lot of talk about how the locker room had no order. Players showed up when they felt like it to meetings, talked on phones, all that...Don't know how true it is, but it definitely made sense with what was reflected on the field. He had a roster...then again, every Commander team does and rarely does anything with it.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Troy isn't stupid, just misguided

we're not talking about Norv for OC here, if that was the case, I would agree w/ Troy

Sancho

Reaction score
the reason's i don't like him:

1. he's too nice of a guy that gets pushed around and would have to work under Jerry and manage TO.

2. he's smart but not known for being fiery or a desciplanarian.

3. still doesn't adress our defensive incompetencies.

4. bad track record as a head coach. the oakland job can be discounted, but he wasn't lights our in washington either. just mediocre. we had that already and we needed something to put us over the top.

5. did i mention that he has to manage TO and work under jerry? talk about getting pushed around.

31hammer

Reaction score
Daniel Snyder, Al Davis and possibly Jerry Jones. Is this guy a glutten for punishment or what

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
Dale;1342732 said:

Excellent post.

But if Parcell's is acting as a consultant during this process would he endorse a puppet coach? That seems highly unlikely.