Is Troy Aikman Stupid?

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
Troy took a number of headshots in his career, AND he picked out David Lafleur, yea, its a great idea to listen to what he has to say.

Reaction score
I think Norv Turner would bring the excitment back to the Cowboys that Parcells never could to be quite honest! I mean he never got excited about wins and after loses he would guard against too harsh of a criticism, strange character that Parcells...

StarMan2112

Reaction score
Dale;1342732 said:
To add, my two big concerns with Turner are the following:

1) Is Jerry going to return to "bad Jerry" and meddle too much and undermine his head coach if Turner is selected? Norv seems like the sort of coach he'll take advantage of. He's a friend, laid-back, and doesn't demand control. I think Jerry progressed a lot as an owner under Bill Parcells. Returning to his Campo-years style would be a regression.

2) What becomes of the defense? I don't believe Bowles is ready to coordinate the unit unless he has a defensive-minded head coach supervising his work. If Phillips were brought in, I could easily see Bowles being the defensive coordinator. It'd almost be like Norv mentoring Garrett. Bowles would be able to learn, improve and develop in a position of authority.

But if Turner's the head coach, I think a more experienced defensive coordinator is a must. Who do the Cowboys get in such a scenario? And, frankly, I think the defense is in much greater need of change than the offense. The offense, in many aspects, had a record-setting season last year. The defense, on the other hand, stunk down the stretch. I think new defensive minds are needed more than new offensive minds.

Well said, Dale. I agree completely. I like Norv, but if he's the guy I worry about the defense. Offense, for the most part, wasn't our problem. But it seems with the hiring of Garrett and probably Turner that offense is the focal point this offseason.

Who's available out there that's a legit 3-4 defensive coordinator? Nobody. That's why we will have to probably go with someone like Bowles and cross our fingers. I'm not comfortable with that.

SteamedSoup

Reaction score
Is Troy Aikman Stupid?
No.

But, really, neither is Matt Millen. Millen is a great example of how being a former player or being great with X's and O's doesn't automatically translate into being a good talent-evaluator (anyone recall Troy being at the Drew Henson workout and basically signing off on him?) or decision-maker for a franchise's future.

Troy praised the folksy nature of Bary Switzer, telling anecdotes about how the guy had somehow managed to talk Troy (an elite pocket passer) into going to school at Oklahoma where they ran a wishbone offense that Troy obviously didn't fit in.

Troy praised the hiring of Campo on January 27th, 2000. He said how respected he was within the team and how he'd "earned the right to coach this team." Which, hey, I'm sure the players felt that way. I'm sure they liked him a lot and respected that his defenses were year-in and year-out highly ranked, and usually much more highly ranked than our offense which was loaded with Hall of Fame talent. But it didn't translate to the head coach spot.

And now he's praising the merits of Norv Turner, who he personally feels indebted to because he coached him during his rise to becoming one of the NFL's top quarterbacks.

I liked Troy as a quarterback for us but I don't want him to be our G.M., and I don't want his voice to carry any more weight with our current G.M. than anyone else's because Troy doesn't have the best track record of steering us in the best direction when he vouches for a coach he likes or player he approves of.

I mean, I'm sure Jerry is a big boy and can make up his own mind on things. I'm sure he's not making decisions on anyone else's say-so. But it bothers me that he seems to be taking the advice of some guys and blatantly ignoring the advice of others.

It just doesn't sit well with me for Deion Sanders to recommend Rex Ryan, and we can't be troubled to make a phone call or set up an interview. And you'd think if Gary Gibbs an Todd Bowles rated interviews, surely the guy who ran the Ravens' great defense would too. But now, I forget -- was Rex Ryan's defense better than Garry Gibbs' or worse? I forget.

And on the other hand, Troy recommends Norv Turner, and we're now on the cusp of a complete overhaul of our offense and passing game (which was hardly the problem as our offense was the 6th best in yards, 5th best in passing, and 4th best in scoring) while almost totally ignoring our defense, which was easily the bigger problem.

Don Corleone

Reaction score
Forget about all this crap.

Why doesn't Aikman just put his name in the hat for head coach? If he is all knowing, then surely he can fix what ails the Cowboys.

No need to puppeteer through the likes of Norv...just come out and say it..."I want to coach the Dallas Cowboys."

For $4 million per year, even I might accept the job (so long as I could shop for the groceries that is).

:laugh2:

SteamedSoup

Reaction score
Troy as head coach? That would be silly, considering he has zero years of experience coaching. Let's wait until he has, say, two years of mediocre work under his belt before we seriously consider him.

Don Corleone

Reaction score
SteamedSoup;1343705 said:
Troy as head coach? That would be silly, considering he has zero years of experience coaching. Let's wait until he has, say, two years of mediocre work under his belt before we seriously consider him.

You know he lusts over the job. He pushes mere puppets like Norv into the spotlight, only because he actually desires the spotlight to himself.

In reality, Aikman is just thinking, "Cut the crap and make me the head coach...I'll even hire my ***** Steve Young as the quarterbacks coach."

Don Corleone

Reaction score
Dale;1342732 said:
2) What becomes of the defense? I don't believe Bowles is ready to coordinate the unit unless he has a defensive-minded head coach supervising his work. If Phillips were brought in, I could easily see Bowles being the defensive coordinator. It'd almost be like Norv mentoring Garrett. Bowles would be able to learn, improve and develop in a position of authority.

Dale - I bet folks in Indy were thinking that they would become a defensive powerhouse when Dungy was hired as HC. After all, he is a defensive mastermind according to some. However, Indy has been all but a defensive powerhouse (save a couple of games in this year's playoffs). They win on offense instead.

I place little on what side of the ball the HC has experience with. Its the coaches personality, attention to detail, and respect of his players that drives success.

SteamedSoup

Reaction score
Troy doesn't want the job.

If he did, Jerry would've given it to him already.

Believe that.

Troy just wants Norv to get yet another chance to prove to the world that he's worth loving the way Troy loves him. Sadly, with each of his previous chances, he proved something entirely different.

If we hire Turner, it's gonna get ugly when we can him in a year or two. People fuss when Troy doesn't bathe us in compliments from the announcer's booth every Sunday -- imagine the whining it'll provoke when he actually rips us for forcing his boy into retirement.

Don Corleone

Reaction score
SteamedSoup;1343724 said:
Troy doesn't want the job.

If he did, Jerry would've given it to him already.

Believe that.

Troy just wants Norv to get yet another chance to prove to the world that he's worth loving the way Troy loves him. Sadly, with each of his previous chances, he proved something entirely different.

If we hire Turner, it's gonna get ugly when we can him in a year or two. People fuss when Troy doesn't bathe us in compliments from the announcer's booth every Sunday -- imagine the whining it'll provoke when he actually rips us for forcing his boy into retirement.

Norv's role should be nothing more than that of a Quarterbacks Coach / OC. Head Coaching requires a different skill set, and I'm not sure that Norv has it. Does Aikman have experience with Norv as a head coach?

Me personally, I want a young guy with some fire in his belly. I want a fist pump on the sideline. I want a guy that hi 5's his players.

These old, run of the mill coaches don't do it for me. Give me a Rex Ryan, or a Ron Rivera.

Bullet22

Reaction score
I agree, Norv will do this team good..just letting the def. play will make them better.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
vaturkey;1342718 said:
Ok. I'm sure I'll be shot full of holes the the Chicken Little crew, but given the fact that Parcell's left Jerry high and dry, give me a better candidate who is available now, who isn't on Chicago's staff?

Rex Ryan
Wade Phillips (not saying he's great, just a better choice then Norv)

Those are just two names of people that are actually possible candidates. I can name a lot more people that haven't been mentioned for the job at all.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Bullet22;1343844 said:
I agree, Norv will do this team good..just letting the def. play will make them better.

That makes no sense. Most of our young talent is on Defense. Who is gonna mold that talent and form them into a dominant group?

jimmy40

Reaction score
Rack;1343847 said:
That makes no sense. Most of our young talent is on Defense. Who is gonna mold that talent and form them into a dominant group?
What if all that young talent isn't all that talented? Besides Ware and Newman is there anyone else that other teams would jump at the chance to get?

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
Sancho;1343043 said:
the reason's i don't like him:

1. he's too nice of a guy that gets pushed around and would have to work under Jerry and manage TO.

2. he's smart but not known for being fiery or a desciplanarian.

3. still doesn't adress our defensive incompetencies.

4. bad track record as a head coach. the oakland job can be discounted, but he wasn't lights our in washington either. just mediocre. we had that already and we needed something to put us over the top.

5. did i mention that he has to manage TO and work under jerry? talk about getting pushed around.

good summary.

Troy is misguided and not objective.

If's he's such a know-it-all jerry should hire him as HC/GM

STSINAZ

Reaction score
MAYBE norv is just what we needed...maybe the players will take on a personal responsibility to perform! maybe they quit on parcells because he wouldnt change...maybe this is just what we needed!

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
STSINAZ;1343961 said:
MAYBE norv is just what we needed...maybe the players will take on a personal responsibility to perform! maybe they quit on parcells because he wouldnt change...maybe this is just what we needed!
maybe you'll win the trillion dollar jackpot lottery tonite too!

dcboy

Reaction score
My concern is Turner's leadership. I am completely confident in his x and os and fairly confident that someone else can be brought in to run the defense, but I fear a madhouse with Norv as HC. He doesn't seem to have a stong enough personality to run the show. I live in DC too and remember all to well how he didn't seem to have much control over the team. I know a huge factor in this was little danny boy, but it still happened. As an offensive coordinator, there are very few that I would want more. He just scares me as the general.

SteamedSoup

Reaction score
What if all that young talent isn't all that talented? Besides Ware and Newman is there anyone else that other teams would jump at the chance to get?
There are a handful of 3-4 teams who would jump all over Canty and Spears if we released them. And they'd sign bigger contracts than they got as rookies -- especially Canty. Trust me, a 3-4 D-lineman who holds up as well as they do against the run is very valuable. Crennel and Mangini would consider it Christmas if they got a chance to add one of these guys to bolster their line rotations, particularly against the run.