Isaiah Simmons - Clemson

Dalmations202

Reaction score
Not sure he would fall to 17 for the Cowboys, but if he was the BPA at that time ---
1) is he fast enough to play Safety and be a Darren Woodson style safety for the Cowboys?
2) He can blitz and is a LB/S tweener -- as BP used to tell Roy Williams - one biscuit short of a LB -- could he be a 3 down play position as needed defender?
3) Would he ever drop to the Cowboys at 17 ?

kevinhickey

Reaction score
Not sure he would fall to 17 for the Cowboys, but if he was the BPA at that time ---
1) is he fast enough to play Safety and be a Darren Woodson style safety for the Cowboys?
2) He can blitz and is a LB/S tweener -- as BP used to tell Roy Williams - one biscuit short of a LB -- could he be a 3 down play position as needed defender?
The only way he falls to us at 17 is; if between now and the draft, he falls out a window, run up the road naked while whacked out on drugs, followed by TMZ. NOT HAPPENING.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
Dude's a LB. This safety talk is because that's the position he started at before he grew some. He's too big now to be a safety in my opinion, but his coverage abilities will allow his to be an elite coverage LB who can hit. I think right now the common thought is he could be there at 17, that will disappear after the combine. Simmons runs a legit 4.3.

An interesting idea to me is he teammate, S Tanner Muse. Muse played mostly SS at Clemson, but should have been converted to LB. He was mostly mediocre covering WRs deep, but was borderline elite in the box and on covering short routes. He also runs a legit 4.3, and its been said he was the 2nd or 3rd fastest guy on the team. He's a bigger guy that should convert to LB, and is probably available as a later round pick, somewhere in that late 6th round- UDFA range. I see special teams star early in his career.

Last edited:

J-man

Reaction score
If he did, he'd probably be our pick, but he's never getting to 17

DFWJC

Reaction score
He runs a sub 4.4 forty. Would be one of, if not THE fastest safeties in the league
suspect he’d play hybrid LB, which is in great demand now

He is freak, but a football player with great instincts first.

Love this player

Carson

Reaction score
Dude's a LB. This safety talk is because that's the position he started at before he grew some. He's too big now to be a safety in my opinion, but his coverage abilities will allow his to be an elite coverage LB who can hit. I think right now the common thought is he could be there at 17, that will disappear after the combine. Simmons runs a legit 4.3.

An interesting idea to me is he teammate, S Tanner Muse. Muse played mostly SS at Clemson, but should have been converted to LB. He was mostly mediocre covering WRs deep, but was borderline elite in the box and on covering short routes. He also runs a legit 4.3, and its been said he was the 2nd or 3rd fastest guy on the team. He's a bigger guy that should convert to LB, and is probably available as a later round pick, somewhere in that late 6th round- UDFA range. I see special teams star early in his career.

Love this. Been on the Muse bandwagon for a few years. Met him a few times at Clemson and he’s a wonderful kid

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Yea - I don't think he's going to be there at 17 anymore like I used to, but I don't really buy the talk of him going top-5 for this exact reason. He could be devastating in Dallas' system if they get creative using him and Jaylon as blitzers and that sort of thing, but I just don't think he plays a spot where he's going to change a defense overnight on his own.

cnuball21

Reaction score
As of now I think he’s one of the select few I’d consider trading up for. He’s one of the most versatile prospects I can remember.

dallas72

Reaction score
He runs a sub 4.4 forty. Would be one of, if not THE fastest safeties in the league
suspect he’d play hybrid LB, which is in great demand now

He is freak, but a football player with great instincts first.

Love this player
Peppers is 4.3

DFWJC

Reaction score
Peppers is 4.3
Well, I did say one , if the fastest

but anyway
Peppers official combine time was 4.46

Simmons has been at 4.3 several times but I doubt he’ll do that at the combine

Will maybe be a LB anyway

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Even if Simmons runs in the low 4.4s, that's still WR speed at 230 pounds. I think Amari Cooper ran like a 4.42, and we've all seen him just pull away from defenses.

If Simmons runs anything in that range, it's going to be freakish.

Flamma

Reaction score

That would be fantastic. But he's not falling to 17 unless every team in front of us isn't looking for a LB. He's the top ranked LB and 6th best player overall in the draft according to the big board I'm looking at. But yeah, if he falls to 17 he is the obvious pick

Paintrain4978

Reaction score
Doubt he’s there at 17 but would love the pick. It’s rare to find a guy that size with the athleticism to play anywhere on the field excluding DT and outside CB. The guy is that freakish of an athlete.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Top 10 pick

cnuball21

Reaction score

While I agree he's not a S prospect, I don't think he's running a 4.3 at the combine.

Take whatever you read about a guys 40 at a college day and add .10 seconds.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
While I agree he's not a S prospect, I don't think he's running a 4.3 at the combine.

Take whatever you read about a guys 40 at a college day and add .10 seconds.
You're probably right. 4.4 is unbelievable for a LB regardless